Active Network Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated August 17, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Absolutely no work life balance (in 33 reviews)

• Upper management didn't always see the bigger picture (in 44 reviews)

"Working at Active Network"

I have been working at Active Network full-time

Pros

They have a great employee wellness program, ActiveX, if you are into that sort of thing. I certainly was and it benefited my life in a great way. I was lucky enough to work in the consumer division and participate in building a fun and effective culture. Other divisions in the company operate very differently.

Cons

The CEO doesn't seem to know what he is doing and this trickles down throughout management. There are some great managers at Active but there are certainly more terrible managers than good.

Advice to Management

Listen to your customers and your employees more and stop being so cocky and prideful.

"Outsourcing"

I worked at Active Network full-time

Pros

They have decent development practices and average compensation. The culture isn't too bad.

Cons

They bought the company I worked for, which had an extremely popular product and essentially redirected our efforts to another much less popular, somewhat competing platform that had more revenue. They retired the more popular platform. They closed our office location, making us remote employees, which was fine for a while, but then they started to push out remote workers and outsourced the entire development operation to China. Several talented colleagues were let go in the process.

Advice to Management

People matter. Process matters. Your management needs to stop making decisions without understanding the consequences.

"They WILL lay you off"

Current Employee - Non-sales in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Non-sales in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Active Network full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people, decent 401k. Bagel Fridays.

Cons

You will never, ever be valued as a contributor unless you are a senior sales rep. They will change the rules for a rewards program, bonus, or incentive program in a heartbeat to favor sales and ignore everyone else.

Advice to Management

Keep commitments. Try fostering your people rather than alienating everyone other than sales. In general, do better.

"Hard Work"

I worked at Active Network full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great benefits and had opportunity to travel.

Cons

Extreme push for sales and would do anything to close a deal. Customers best wasn't a factor in decision making processes.

"Mismanagement and Overworked Employees"

I worked at Active Network full-time

Pros

When I started, the culture was pretty nice. You could join groups: workout, environmental, etc. and get to know people. That stopped before I left though or, at least my team wasn't allowed to participate.

Cons

Raises were non-existent. And getting canned was always without notice or any warning. People were disappearing all the time.
    Management of work flow was lacking. You'd be moved (actually having to drop projects to move to a different one) between 2-4 times per week, making it impossible to get anything done and yet being accountable for not meeting deadlines.
    Work-Life-Balance: only work, 70 hour work weeks became the new norm before I left.
    Stress was always high. You never knew where you stood with management. They'd be praising you one day and yet the very next day you'd be getting yelled at for a complete misunderstanding. Somehow it was okay for managers to yell at employees.

Advice to Management

Don't yell at people.

"Sales"

Former Employee - Sales in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Sales in Dallas, TX

I worked at Active Network full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I honestly can't think of one.

Cons

Unorganized, no guidance, high turnover, managers have no clue what they're doing, nobody cares. I quite and it was the best decision ever. Waste of a year.

RUN!!!!!!

Advice to Management

Get rid of your management the way you get rid of your employees. You'll be better off.

7. "Change: Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Active Network full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Management has really turned things around and made it an amazing environment/ place to work

Cons

Some positions are way undervalued

"Client Application Specialist"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Active Network full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people to work with

Cons

Management doesn't care about employees just metrics

"Would not recommend even to my worst enemy"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I worked at Active Network full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The only pros I can think of are the people I met there and maybe the relaxed culture. The hardest part about leaving was all of the great people. The only reason I stayed as long as I did was because of the people around me who made it bearable. ACTIVE has so much talent within its employees but nobody seems to care. The ActiveX program is worthwhile and the only part of the company that cares about the employees.

Cons

The people and the relaxed culture are great until management (even lower level) takes advantage of it and berates you in front of other employees multiple times with no repercussion. "That's just how it is." There is no consistency in anything. They will take away any sales incentives or "back date" a new plan the second it means that ACTIVE is paying its employees anything more than that absolutely have to. Time off is a joke. They try to play up the silicon valley atmosphere but there's no flexibility within that. Employees are taught to lie to make the sale. And if you think you have any choice of advancing through the company, think again. They promise you all sorts of advancement and money through your interview and then make it next to impossible unless you cozy up to another manager.

Advice to Management

Maybe your thinking when it comes to your employees shouldn't be to wear them down and just get new employees. If you would invest in your employees more and care just a little bit less about only your EBITDA rating then you might be able to keep employees around for longer than 6 months.

"Software Developer"

I worked at Active Network full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Lots of great places to go to during lunch and after work at the downtown Dallas location

Cons

The first week of employment we (new hires) met with upper management who seemed agitated and red-faced. The topic was doing as much work as possible. What?! Yes, that was why we were hired. Why was management having a melt down and almost incoherent the first week? Every other place I worked at, management recognized the need for everyone to be a subject matter expert and to share information and that strenghtens the whole team. But not here-- entrenchment and finger pointing instead.

Advice to Management

The CEO, Darko, occasionally gave presentations that showed how out of touch he is. Dude, I do not want to make as much money as possible by any means possible. You are not a leader that inspires anyone ("every man for himself" mindset). I do not share your right wing values (based on some company stickers passed around with slogans, ostensibly for a sporting event, but with some nasty political overtones). Management is willfully ignorant, so no changes are to be expected.