Active Network Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated August 17, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Absolutely no work life balance (in 33 reviews)

• Upper management didn't always see the bigger picture (in 44 reviews)

"Revolving Door"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Active Network full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Company has a good wellness program.

Cons

The managers have zero idea what they are doing. They seem to only care about themselves and not about their actual teams. The benefits are not great, there is not a lot of PTO time, and upper management is more concerned with bottom line numbers than actual well being of their employees. There's a reason why the sales floor is a constant revolving door of people quitting and why staffing companies refuse to work with ACTIVE. As a sales professional, you WILL get clawed back on commissions because the product (honestly) isn't that great and when you book revenue, the rest of the sales cycle is out of your control. If an Account Manager or implementation screws something up months down the road after you closed the deal, and they stop transacting, they penalize you for it and take away your hard earned money. This place is a joke!

Advice to Management

Get back to basics and learn your business! ACTIVE might have been great at one time, but since it's acquisition by Vista, it has gone completely downhill with the way managers treat employees and lack of respect from C-Level management as well. A high turnover rate for salespeople is not a good business model.

"Marketing Development Representative- Run"

Former Employee - Market Development Representative in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Market Development Representative in Dallas, TX

I worked at Active Network (Less than a year)

Pros

8-5 M-F
    PTO
    Not a lot to say they have bagels every friday and nice office

Cons

Commission structure is a joke for Marketing Development Representative

"Good people poor management"

Former Employee - Data Base Consultant in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Data Base Consultant in San Diego, CA

I worked at Active Network (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good Product line,People and to certain extent benefits

Cons

Out of touch management,Poor management execution,revolving door

Advice to Management

To management,improve or whole ship will sink

"A Good Place to Work"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Havertown, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Havertown, PA

I worked at Active Network full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great people, good work/life balance for managers and under, solid leadership (for the most part), great projects and interesting work

Cons

Head of IT created a toxic atmosphere for his team, which spread to other teams

Advice to Management

Be nicer to your employees! Pressure does indeed create diamonds, but too much will crush your employees spirit and kill passion.

"Great place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Active Network full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Worked with some of the brightest people.
    Great managers
    every day you can learn something new.
    average benefits

Cons

being owned by an investment group, leads the company to be more revenue driven vs market driven.
    constantly trying to reduce resource investment to meet unrealistic EBITA margins

Advice to Management

Lets try focusing more on people and products and less on EBITA, our EBITA is already way too high.

"Active has a ton of "hidden figures" right beneath their nose."

Former Employee - Client Applications Specialist in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Client Applications Specialist in Dallas, TX

I worked at Active Network full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The young culture and atmosphere is great and I thoroughly enjoyed all of my coworkers and the bond we shared. They have a multitude of options on the 25th floor to promote work/life balance (table-pong, basketball, etc)

Cons

Management is terrible. They only care about meeting said "metrics." Everyone employee is simply a number and doesn't truly exist as a human being. There were so many individuals who would've been amazing in greater roles/ capacities, but Active Network implemented a "must work current position for 1 year AND THEN your manager must sign off that you are eligible for different positions. It was complete BS to say the least. So as you can image, they lost a boat load of employees due to this ridiculous requirement of jumping through hoops, myself included. I left after being there a little over a year, only to be in upper management (what I tried to achieve while there) and obtain a 40% increase in salary. Too bad Active couldn't see talent when it was there. I almost witnessed a massive company layoff on Friday, August 28th 2015 of over 200 employees. Many of whom were hard working individuals, top performers, and some who had recently moved there families to Dallas from San Diego and were let go shortly thereafter. Seeing something such as this really opens your eyes to the type of company you work for. I knew then it was time to exit stage left.

Advice to Management

Take notice to the hard working employees who bust their hump day in and day out. Stop requiring that individuals jump through hoops just to "interview" for other positions within the company.

"could be great"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Active Network full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits are meh if you are single and healthy.
    Coworkers are amazing, depending on your direct manager, they can make or break your experience. every hire up above them are too far excluded from day to day operations to see whats actually happening.

Cons

1.C- Level is so far out of touch they are driving a great company into a wall.
    2.Parking downtown can be a bear, and you only get $50 a month, you spend that within a week.
    3. Base salaries are okay depending which floor you work on. if you are sales be ready to work your butt off for not much reward or advancement.

Advice to Management

Actually listen to employees and engage with them. You always talked about a mentoring program for career advancement be you never implemented anything.

"Account Executive"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Active Network full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Fun work place, amazing co-workers and management, generous PTO.

Cons

Long work days and no overtime

9. "The ACTIVE name says it all"

Former Employee - Senior Project Manager in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Project Manager in Dallas, TX

I worked at Active Network full-time

Pros

Top-notch development teams and development leadership. Hip, urban setting. Bagels on Friday morning. Commitment to own their market. Support to be fit and active ingrained in culture.

Cons

Downtown Dallas location may be great. Or not, depending. Commute by rail (DART) is good. Drive stinks. Culture is very young. Old farts can feel, well, like old farts.

Advice to Management

None. They're doing a pretty good job.

"Red Tape, Layoffs, Zero Employee Retention"

Former Employee - Technical Support Supervisor in Frostburg, MD
    Former Employee - Technical Support Supervisor in Frostburg, MD

I worked at Active Network full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The group of folks I worked with were very smart and hardworking. We were able to overcome many obstacles over the years thanks to the various technical skillets our technicians had. The customers loved us because we worked hard to find a resolution for every case.

The health care at one point during my 10 year career was great, but now is only the minimum catastrophic insurance that money can buy.

The amount of PTO you receive is very generous, however you will be forced to take it by the end of the year. This causes many departments to be very minimal staffed during the year end, increasing the workload for those who are worked as seasonal and part time.

Cons

They continue to push for more folks working from the Dallas HQ and are laying off, firing, or letting talented resources in other offices go. They will not tell you(or management) the truth about what is happening, and they will beat around the bush until the second they are sending you out the door with your box. The people who replace these folks are under qualified and the turn around rate is atrocious, due to the ever growing job market in TX. They have continued to lose clients because the solid support structure that was once in place is GONE. If you are customer reading this, you likely have more product knowledge then any of our technicians due to the retention.

If you are promoted as supervisor for a group outside of HQ you will be nothing more than a messenger who is forced to regurgitate the misleading or unclear messages to the rest of the group. This includes layoffs with out any real reason other than Money(China is Cheaper), or telling someone their job will be changing without any other information than just that.

There are no longer any technical jobs left at Active unless you have in China or TX, with the number of positions in the US dwindling everyday.

If you attend meetings at the HQ location expect at least 13 F-Bombs and a barrage of many other obscenities to be said during and after. I was completely in shock the first time one of the higher level managers blurted out these words in a meeting meanwhile, I was told continually to coach my staff that these words are inappropriate for work.

Advice to Management

They need to stick up better for their top tier employees to keep them, and more importantly the knowledge they retain. The reason that no one has any product knowledge is because the entire department you let go took that knowledge with them.