Active Network Reviews | Glassdoor

Active Network Reviews

Updated May 25, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
Cons
  • This makes a work-life balance difficult (in 32 reviews)

• Upper management didn't always see the bigger picture (in 44 reviews)

"Great place to work, unfortunately sold to private equity"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

Pros

Great team and people. It was like a second family

Cons

office politics was pretty prevalent and promotions was based more on seniority rather than performance.

"Technical Support"

Former Employee - Customer Support Supervisor in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Customer Support Supervisor in Dallas, TX

I worked at Active Network full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Hours are okay, benefits are good, workload is very light, dress code is very relaxed. Able to grow beards, and very causal dress.

Cons

Disruptive work environment, miscommunication runs wild. Unqualified employees are brought on and are not trained properly. Career advancement is small and ridiculous.

Advice to Management

Communicate, train people better, hire the right people, and actually care about your employees instead of just thinking of them as numbers like you think of for the rest of the world.

"Dishonesty, unfair treatment and unrealistic expectations by upper management & owners"

Current Employee - Sales in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Sales in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Active Network full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Does a good job of hiring positive, hardworking, motivated people, so it can be a fun, positive working environment. 70% employees are millennials.

Company culture pushes healthy lifestyle and has good "positive motivational" division that promotes and supports active, sports life.

Cons

70% millennials = unbalanced workforce, many young managers are unable to handle management challenges due to lack of work experience/life experience.

C-level management and owners, Vista Equity Partners, use threats and a scare tactic style of management which makes employees fearful that they can be let go at any time. Based in Texas, which is an "employment at will" state, so Active Network uses this to fire people with no explanation. When I arrived, we were told that people who had 4-6 months there were considered "senior employees" because expected life of an Active Employee was low and people were let go many times for unknown reasons. This has continued during my employment, i.e. we think someone is away on vacation, then find out that they are actually no longer employed within the company.

Early this year (1Q), management made a huge effort to ease employees' concern that the company was not for sale, even after failed sales to Nike and/or Under Armour during late 2015. The President rented The Majestic Theater to have a "President to Employees" presentation, complete with Q & A, in which he assured the employees that the co. was not for sale. Then, less than 45 days later, a whole section of the company was sold off to someone else, with again, no discussion of why/what change happened.

The V.P. of Inside Sales assured sales employees during the 1Q16 Sales Kick Off meeting that, while the commission structure was being redesigned, it would be to the benefit of the salespeople. When the commission structure was announced (near the end of 1Q16), a major section had been deleted from the offering that automatically reduced all salespeoples commission by $12-$14K per year, along with increased sales goals that were 25%-77% higher per quarter than Active's 2015 sales goals. This caused a major salesteam walk out during Feb/Mar/April and continues to be an issue. As of March '16, Active has now had walkouts of both inside and field sales VPs, multiple sales managers and over 50% of their U.S. sales people, including new hires concerned about the transition they were observing.

Rotating door of management, unimpressive benefits package, no room for growth other than lateral. All sales employees make same base salary with no hope of increase if they are better revenue drivers.

Advice to Management

Be honest, communicate with your employees. Keep the promises you make. Make sales goals reasonable and attainable. Let people know why employees are let go vs. keeping the fear factor high among employees. Quit being so greedy.

"Great People"

Former Employee - Sales Manager in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Manager in Dallas, TX

I worked at Active Network full-time

Pros

ACTIVE's solutions work well. Their products are amazing and you're able to honestly and confidently represent the solution during the sales process.The people on the front lines of executing the business up through mid-management are trying their best to work together and make things better. The office space is cool, but all the stuff that makes it cool becomes white noise after the first couple of weeks. It's a great recruiting tool.

Cons

All the individuals I worked with at ACTIVE were awesome, but they haven't found a way to develop the company's culture since moving to Dallas. Upper leaders seem inconsistent in just about every area. There is a "renter's mentality" that impacts their priorities and ability to make good business decisions. C-level decisions don't reinforce any attempt at improving the culture and some decisions only make sense if Vista is selling ACTIVE in the near future. There doesn't seem to be much long-term strategy.

Advice to Management

Define ACTIVE Network's mission and culture. Then die on the hill of fulfilling the mission and improving the culture..

"Account Executive"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Active Network full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It is a fun work environment and the people you work with are great. The job itself is fun, challenging, and fast-paced.

Cons

Too much of a focus on quantity over quality - in terms of prospecting new business, cold calling, and building pipeline. It would be much better to focus on business that could actually close, then build pipeline on opportunities that would never close.

Advice to Management

Make quota reasonable based on historic data and by how much we want to grow the company YoY.

"Minimum Wage Won't Keep The Good Employees"

Former Employee - Reservation Agent - Work At Home in Barto, PA
    Former Employee - Reservation Agent - Work At Home in Barto, PA

I worked at Active Network part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Taking inbound calls to make camping reservations puts you in contact with friendly people, for the most part.

Cons

They pay agents according to the state that they reside in, and if the minimum wage is $7.25/hour, they pay $7.50. It doesn't matter how many contracts you are handling, or whether the calls are from states that pay $9.15/hour. If you live in a state that only pays $7.50, that's what you receive. And, do not expect a raise until you are there for close to 2 years. I worked for them for 19 months, handling federal parks, 10 state parks, all the national tours & permits and STILL made $7.50/hour. When I asked my supervisor & manager to compensate me, I was told that they couldn't give me more money, but hoped that them telling me what a great job I did would be enough! Yes, they REALLY did say that!

Advice to Management

Compensate employees to acknowledge the job they do. When more contracts are added, increase the person's pay. You could eliminate the weaker employees & retain the better ones if you paid them what they are worth.

"Client application specialist"

Current Employee - Client Applications Specialist in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Client Applications Specialist in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Active Network full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

cool office, downtown location, friendly and welcoming people

Cons

no clear expectation, buggy systems, managers that only care about themselves

"Great office and location, poor communication and benefits"

Former Employee - Marketing Assistant in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Marketing Assistant in Dallas, TX

I worked at Active Network full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Cool office space, central downtown location and great views from the building.

Cons

Communication from the top down was very sparse. Led to confusion and lack of direction. Benefits are not great, i.e. you have to pay to park nearby to even get to work.

Advice to Management

If you hope to retain smart, hard-working millennials to maintain your company culture, you should openly communicate ideas and expectations as well as provide fair compensation.

"So much potential"

Former Employee - Inbound Call Center Representative in Sacramento, CA
    Former Employee - Inbound Call Center Representative in Sacramento, CA

I worked at Active Network part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The job is really fun and the people are warm an welcoming. It was a joy helping people plan and book their vacations.

Cons

The hours are very random and decline drastically after the peak season is over. They don't set schedule in a way to allows for a second job. Also no possibility of just working weekends. Several bugs in the systems.

Advice to Management

System updates. Once you make an employee permanent work with them on their schedules. And consider weekend only shifts.

"Sales team"

Former Employee - Account Executive in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Dallas, TX

Pros

Honestly it's not what it was 6 months ago, a lot of people leaving left and right because of the constant state of change and over bearing management. They've doubled the amount of managers and are giving people pointless roles for the sake of creating in unnecessary hierarchy. How many managers do you need between you and your manager? It's simple, make opportunities and close deals. They're getting lost in trying to figure out the perfect formula when it wasn't broken to begin with. They got rid of a lot of great employees and just as many more quit due to the company's changing ways every month of two. I used to love working here but now over half the floor is looking at other companies to work for.

Cons

THEY HAVE NEW HIRES SIGN A "I won't quit for an entire year otherwise I will be required to pay $7,000 back to the ACTIVE... So they're obviously worried about people leaving once they realize it's not as advertised. I've NEVER heard of a company requiring new hires to sign something like that. It's a threat. "We'll penalize you 7 GRAND if you don't like it here and leave to work somewhere else..."

Advice to Management

Let your employees WORK. We killed it last year because we had the freedom to work our own way. They have now taped a schedule down to each persons desk, all the same schedule, like a factory or something. People succeed in different ways, don't dictate What we do down to the minute!!!