Activision Blizzard Reviews | Glassdoor

3.8
Activision Blizzard Director, President & Ceo Robert A. Kotick
Robert A. Kotick

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Very dynamic fast paced environment (in 8 reviews)

• Great perks, great pay, great people (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • There was no work/life balance - During extremely busy periods the only time spent out of work was commuting and sleeping (in 6 reviews)

• Lay-offs were far too frequent for full time employees (in 3 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great place"

Current Employee - Senior Specialist in Santa Monica, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Specialist in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at Activision Blizzard full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Fun culture and collaboration across some of the brightest minds in the interactive entertainment industry. Activision Blizzard's workplace environment inspires creativity and big ideas.

Cons

Difficult to say... employees work hard, but are happy and having fun along the way (hardly a con?).

2. "Great place to work, but still room for improvement."

Current Employee - Specialist
    Current Employee - Specialist

I have been working at Activision Blizzard full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

ATVI is an awesome place to work. With the casual atmosphere (jeans!), fun events, and other random perks like summer popsicles and therapy dogs, it's a blast. I will say though, that without these things, ATVI would still be great because of the people. My colleagues are my favorite part of the day, and even when work gets rough (as it does, often), they keep me in high spirits. The knowledge and experience I've gained over my years here is incomparable to anywhere else I have worked. Learning from the best truly makes me proud to say I'm an employee at Activision Blizzard. There is a lot of room for growth, and Activision Blizzard has been building up support for workers and their business steadily. A lot has changed since I first started.

Cons

Management has good intentions, but that's not always communicated to the masses. More transparency, more discussions with ELT, and better messaged overall vision and strategy would let employees feel less like a cog in the wheel and more like they're a part of something larger.

Advice to Management

Get out there! Have more town halls, more casual conversations. And please, more diversity in the upper management.

3. "Motion Capture Clean up Artist"

Former Employee - Motion Capture Clean Up Artist in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Motion Capture Clean Up Artist in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

Great enviroment, resources, oppurtunities, and people.

Cons

Getting small things done can be difficult when having to go through multiple people.

4. "Great place to work! Dream Job!"

Current Employee - Senior Technical Recruiter in San Bernardino, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Technical Recruiter in San Bernardino, CA

I have been working at Activision Blizzard full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

This place makes dreams come true. They invest in their employees and over the past few years have really improved in their "buerocratic" processes. I feel that the future is very bright here.

Cons

The on-boarding process took a little longer that I would have hoped, It took me 2 months from my first interview to my final offer/start date.

5. "Great place to work"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bloomington, MN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bloomington, MN

I worked at Activision Blizzard full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Fun and fast paced environment

Cons

Tight deadlines overly stresses personnel

6. "Lead Technical Artist"

Former Employee - Lead Technical Artist in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Lead Technical Artist in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Activision Blizzard full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great perks, great pay, great people.

Cons

Lots of pressure, way too much overtime.

7. "Great Place To Work for those with high energy"

I worked at Activision Blizzard full-time

Pros

-Very open
    -Fast paced
    -Always learning

It's an interesting company to work for.

Cons

Stress can be high close to release times

"All work, no life"

Former Employee - QA Lead in Eden Prairie, MN
    Former Employee - QA Lead in Eden Prairie, MN

I worked at Activision Blizzard full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Massive amounts of experience for QA
    Amazing co-workers
    Projects were fun and challenging on occasion
    Pretty solid benefits
    A lot of free games and swag

Cons

Compensation was dismal at best
    Competent, well trained employees were rare and after they were laid off they didn't come back - If they did come back for consecutive seasons, after their third they were required to be out for a year before they could return
    Lay-offs were far too frequent for full time employees
    Hard work was rewarded with a larger workload and higher expectations
    Metrics for bonusable goals were geared to eventually become impossible to attain
    Little to no possibly for advancement

I could really go on and on here. If you're a young person that can handle being fed through a meat grinder as a QA Tester for a couple of seasons, the pay is decent (though you won't get benefits unless you elect to receive them and pay a hefty premium nor will you receive a bonus) and you'll get plenty of overtime making the paychecks pretty nice. If you're not someone that can live with that this is not the place for you.

Advice to Management

Talent retention needs to be closely examined. Opportunity for advancement needs to be created. Compensation needs serious re-evaluation. Throwing more people at a project does not make a better product.

"Corporate Services Professional at Activision Blizzard"

I have been working at Activision Blizzard full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The people here are the best I've ever worked with over a 20 year career. I know companies all say that, but here it's 100% true. The caliber of talent, the amount of fun we all have, the (mostly) lack of ego with everyone I work with... it's absolutely incredible. I've made close friends for life here; when some of them leave, they've all missed the culture and the people dearly. You'll see some harsh critiques from me below, and it's only because I think AB could be even better, but I can't say enough about the quality of work, the amazing products, the ambition to be the #1 entertainment company of the 21st century, the bright future, and especially the incredible people. Amazing team and still has a startup mentality -- often in both a good and bad way, but mostly good.

Cons

The processes and systems are not strengths here, but again, the place seems to attract such inspired, talented, entrepreneurial people that they more than make up for that. The AB leadership team is incredibly competent and focused, but they should be way more communicative and proactive about getting in front of employees. I know they appreciate the huge sacrifices employees make for the company, but could do a TON more to actually show it, like socializing with us more and offering more interaction and visibility; also giving everyone access to a stock purchase program and not just handing out equity to the magical "Directors and above" cutoff. We ALL work very hard here. A lot of the ways to recognize that effort are free. Walk the building. Talk to us. Let us ask questions. Again, all that said, I can't say our cons outweigh our pros. I love it here, but it could be even better. My critiques sound strong because I care about the place, a lot.

Advice to Management

Upgrade our headquarters in Santa Monica! Or move to a building befitting our culture and our people. We are the biggest and best interactive entertainment company in the world, and our HQ looks like an accounting firm from 1970. We work way too hard for way too many hours a week to see duct tape and roaches on the floor. Inspire us with an inspiring new place!

10. "Great Opportunity"

Pros

Easy job with lots of OT during season.

Cons

On your feet all day in hot warehouse.