KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Activision Blizzard

Engaged Employer

Activision Blizzard

Add a Review

Activision Blizzard Employee Reviews about "work life balance"

Updated Oct 21, 2021

Found 27 of over 369 reviews

3.6
Activision Blizzard Director, President & Ceo Robert A. Kotick
Robert A. Kotick
Pros
  • "Great people, good work-life balance(in 23 reviews)

• "Work on video games and get your name in the credits(in 17 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Waves of long hours with no provided time frame of how long they will last(in 17 reviews)

• "Work-life balance is pretty much nonexistent(in 16 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Activision Blizzard and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?

Reviews about "work life balance"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 5.0
      Current Contractor, less than 1 year

Amazing Team Leader/Members & Work Life Blance/Pay

Aug 26, 2021 - Motion Graphics Artist in Los Angeles, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Amazing Pay Hardworking Team Members/Leaders Clear Communication throughout teams Fun to work on Gaming Content Amazing work life balance

Cons

Work can get a little repetitive

2. 2.0
      Current Contractor, less than 1 year

The work can be fun, but contractors are treated poorly

Oct 11, 2021 - QA - Game Tester in Austin, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Test video games currently in development. - Work with pretty cool people with similar gaming interests. - Work from home (temporary).

Cons

- Work/Life balance is terrible. There is brutal mandatory overtime; you are expected to work ~60+ hours each week with only Sundays off. Possible 70+ hour weeks during crunch time. Everyone is severely burnt out. Leadership tries to reason with us saying it should have been expected and it was listed in the job description - No, the job description never stated how ridiculous it could be. - No PTO. Holidays are not guaranteed time off. - Communication between leadership, developers, and testers can be jumbled and cryptic at times which can be very frustrating when trying to get tasks finished. - Extremely limited advancement opportunities. Working hard/overperforming isn't rewarding which can lead to workers regularly underperforming since there's little/no incentive to put in the extra work. - Company clearly prioritizes profit over people. Look up all the recent issues happening with the company. - Pay should be way better when comparing to the industry standards.

3. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Play hard, work harder...

Aug 24, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great opportunity to learn new things and develop new skills.

Cons

Work-life balance is pretty much nonexistent.

1 person found this review helpful
    4. 4.0
      Current Employee

Pros and Cons of Working at Activision Blizzard

May 11, 2021 - Associate Content Manager in Irvine, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

- benefits and knowledge gain

Cons

- no work life balance

Activision Blizzard Response

Thanks for sharing this feedback with us. We love hearing that you're enjoying the benefits we offer and that you are growing here. Maintaining a healthy work-life balance is important to us and we encourage everyone to unplug during their off hours. We are working with managers to model this behavior and encourage their team members to do the same. If you'd like to provide further feedback about your particular situation, please reach out to your HR representative.

5. 2.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

This aint it chief

Apr 15, 2021 - Junior QA Tester in Austin, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

Work remote and play video games all day. Honestly pretty decent benefits, they'll reimburse you for your internet bill up to $100 a month.

Cons

It gets old really quickly. Sometimes, you'll be playing the same level or mode for an entire day or more. Manual over time so you're looking at being forced to sit at a desk for 12 hours a day. They can change the schedule at any moment, so you could be a minute from clocking out and they're able to tell everyone to stay for two more hours. Horrible work-life balance. Holidays are not guaranteed time off. It's clear that your leads don't really care about you.

6 people found this review helpful

Activision Blizzard Response

Thank you for sharing this feedback. We take all concerns about your work experience and work-life balance seriously. If you would be willing to provide additional information about your specific situation, we encourage you to reach out to your HR representative so they can help you find solutions.

6. 3.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Mar 5, 2021 - Senior Software Engineer in Foster City, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Work life balance is good. Fun environment

Cons

Low confidence in the leadership management

7. 3.0
      Former Contractor, more than 1 year

Long hours

Mar 2, 2021 - Junior QA Tester in Eden Prairie, MN
      Business Outlook

Pros

Atmosphere, coworkers, and occasional catered lunches. Plenty of overtime.

Cons

Long, long hours. Overtime is not optional in most cases, work-life balance is not good at all.

8. 4.0
      Former Contractor

Nice Overall

Jan 1, 2021 - Associate Technical Artist in Irvine, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Relaxed work environment, good on-site amenities, fantastic work holiday events, great work-life balance

Cons

food in cafeteria is hit-or-miss, some requests feel overly bureaucratic

9. 1.0
      Current Employee, more than 10 years

Profits over People

Jul 31, 2020 - Project Lead - QA in Eden Prairie, MN
      Business Outlook

Pros

I've met many awesome people during my 13 years of employment. Great medical benefits for non-contracted full time employees.

Cons

- No work/life balance - Lack of support from management - Lack of recognition for a job well done - Overtime comes without warning and can last for weeks/months at a time - Pay is well below market, yearly merit increases are a joke - QA are treated differently from the rest of the company - Very little room for advancement - No real control over your project

8 people found this review helpful
    10. 1.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Not what everyone thinks

Jul 24, 2020 - Administration in Irvine, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Coolish swag Dogs on campus!!! (Pre-COVID) Environment: Nothing better than being on Blizzard campus and being in front of the Orc statue!

Cons

Personally if I could have given Blizzard half a star I would have. Working for Blizzard is one of the most horrible experiences I ever had to go through. That feeling of,"OMG I want to work for Blizzard." Quickly changes when you start and becomes,"OMG what have I done?!" Management: Good ol boys club. 98% of management have been there for 10+ years and were a part of the company during its "golden years". Management is stale and tends to shun/discriminate against you if you do not agree to their every word. Their word is the bible and shall not be questioned! They hand out write-ups like its candy and tend to keep to the groups of tenured people. If you complain to HR, they say they listen but normally just ignore you and then say you never told them. Overall, management is just bad here. Fellow Employees: Some are cool I'll admit but most of them feel like they are high and mighty because they've been there for so long. If you're able to find a good click of people then thats great! I'm lucky I have but I have seen new employees come on board and are shunned and felt to be unwelcome. I was one of those people until I found a group I clicked with. "Diversity": Blizzard preaches that they are very diverse but when it comes to hiring, 8/10 will be men. There are barely any women in leadership roles and those that are tend to be ignored or overruled by those higher than them. The clubs that are on campus are run by fellow employees but even that is a mess. With the amount of work everyone has on their plate, their last thought is on groups. Many events will be "planned" and then cancelled which isn't necessarily anyone's fault but it proves that diversity and accepting those who are different really isn't a top priority. Advancement: Not gonna happen. Like I said, everyone in a management position has been there for 10+ years and they're not moving anywhere so your only option is to look for a better position outside the company. From what I have seen there is currently a very high turnover rate at Blizzard. Pay: Low of the low. If you work at Blizzard and want to live in Irvine, you'll either need a lot of roommates to cover the bills or someone who is throwing out money to you. Pay raises are very rare! Also, don't ask for a raise. If you ever do you're looked at with disgust and told to get back to work. Work/Life balance: LOL! Oh and never ask to work from home (Pre-COVID) Current higher management is very anti-work from home.

12 people found this review helpful