Acton School of Business Reviews | Glassdoor

Acton School of Business Reviews

3.1
CEO

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Small school with no faculty/staff culture"

Pros

Paid
    Morning schedule
    Perfect for a student

Cons

No flexibility in time
    Full time and part time staff don't ever interact
    School is run more like a business (which has its benefits)

Advice to Management

Make the internship portion of the job something a student can look forward to.

2. "Company with a mission, but work-life balance was nonexistent"

I worked at Acton School of Business full-time

Pros

You work with and alongside some of the smartest and nicest people every day. The company has a clear and important mission that is easy to rally behind. The mgmt they brought in apparently turned everything around and it's great to hear about the changes they've made. From what I understand, the CEO is a really wonderful person to be around and work for.

Cons

The work-life balance during my time @ Acton was nonexistent. Culture there is also something that didn't exist, even though they claim to have a "start-up" environment (for a 9 or 10y/o company).

One thing I noticed while there was that I never felt appreciated and not everyone was treated equally.

Advice to Management

Take the time to think about the culture and what you can do to make it a fun place to work.

3. "Valuable experience, stressful workplace"

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I worked at Acton School of Business as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

I gained a lot of valuable experience with really smart, hardworking people.
    The downtown location, with a view of the Capitol, was great.
    The mission, to help build a community of principled entrepreneurs, was awesome.

Cons

Even long-term employees felt no sense of stability. It often seemed that you might be one mistake away from being fired. I caught up with the team about two years after I worked there, and there was only one employee still there from when I worked with them.

Advice to Management

Invest in your people. Trust them. Allow them to make mistakes; it's a huge part of learning and stretching and creating excellence.

4. "Great interns to work with, needs better management and work/life balance"

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Austin, TX

Pros

Great interns to work with

Cons

Bad management, feel like you can't ask questions, raises are hard to obtain, feel like they play favorites, don't treat interns with respect

Advice to Management

Better mentorship, more recognition for great work, be more inclined to answer questions, treat employees like you want to be treated

"It pushed me in a way that I have not been pushed and I enjoyed that."

Pros

There are a lot of opportunities to do more projects if you want to. It is all about initiative.

Cons

Some people are a bit short and haughty and you know what your place is, but overall there is a good level of respect.

Advice to Management

Try to delegate and communicate a bit better, and explain the full results of what you are assigning to people.