Actual Experience Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated May 30, 2017

4.5
Dave Page

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Modern flexible but professional company"

Former Contractor - Contractor in Bath, England (UK)
    Former Contractor - Contractor in Bath, England (UK)

I worked at Actual Experience as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Offices are 2 minute walk from Bath Spa Train Station
    Modern, clean and light offices
    Free fruit daily and free pizza on a friday
    Flexi working hours for most roles
    Friendly helpful colleagues welcoming to new members of staff
    Very relaxed but professional working enviroment
    Free coffee and tea facilities
    £30 toward gym membership monthly

Cons

Perm employee salaries and are a little bit lower than other organisations

Advice to Management

Review salaries other than that amazing company to work for one of the best places I have worked in my entire career

"A very slick and easy process to join, great place to work"

I have been working at Actual Experience full-time

Pros

The interview process was very easy. I directly applied was in within a week with a enjoyable first stage interview. Mixing technical and experience based questions. Second stage was with Dave and sealed the deal for me.

A great time to join an evolving company. Being able to influence best practice and working with such excellent people is such a refreshing change.
    It's a great product, office location and setup is very comfortable and free flowing. The type of people this company attracts to work within it are cut from the same cloth, making collaboration very easy.

Cons

Thus far I have not felt there are any negatives.

Advice to Management

Keep up the recruitment drive of such talented people.

May 15, 2017 – HR Manager

Thank you for leaving this review. Assessing cultural fit is an important part of our recruitment. Glad this was a good experience for you.

"Its okay but.."

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Bath, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Bath, England (UK)

I have been working at Actual Experience full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Actual is a fun, friendly environment. My 2* rating has only been given because at the moment I believe there is more cons than pros in working in the company.

- Good people, everyone in the office get along. There is never an argument, and if you have problems the Head of IT is always approachable for a chat.
    - Lovely offices. The offices look and feel great.
    - You get some freedom on projects. Developers get some freedom on projects to come up with designs and have input. This can also be a negative.

- Things are changing, whether it is for the better is yet to be seen.

Cons

- Project management is a real weak point (within the teams and wider company, not the project manager) , lots of people within the company want in say in how projects are run or should be run. We are rarely given a spec and as a result many project run over or are not completed to a satisfactory level.
    - Quite a bit of mundane work
    - Career progression is limited especially in IT
    - "Experienced senior engineers" sometimes come out with very junior solutions or ideas
    - You will get promoted based on time served not what you have to offer the company.

Advice to Management

Hiring more people will not resolve the inherent problems within the company. We have a great team it just needs to be organised so.

There are also so disruptive people in the organisation who need bringing down a notch (everyone knows who they are).

May 29, 2017 – HR Manager

Thanks for taking the time to leave your review. We care what people think about working at Actual. Your comments echo some of what we heard recently in our first engagement survey. A lot of people... More

"Brilliant company to work for"

Current Employee - Software Tester in Bath, England (UK)

I have been working at Actual Experience full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I really enjoy working for Actual Experience. Everyone is approachable, friendly and happy to help. Each person's opinions matter.

We are provided with very good quality laptops - it really helps having a powerful machine to do development work on.

We get to work with the latest technologies and we're trusted to manage our time. We're constantly allowed to improve our skills and the job is never boring. The company is growing rapidly, creating a really energetic atmosphere.

The office environment is airy and spacious. We even have a pool table! The office is located in the centre of Bath with easy access to eating establishments, shops and places to relax outside.

Cons

I can't think of any downsides to working at Actual Experience.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work and keep being the friendly, approachable people that you are!

Apr 24, 2017 – HR Manager

It's great to read about the experience you've had with us. Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review.

"Working as a Software Tester at AE"

Current Employee - Software Tester in Bath, England (UK)

Pros

- Very interesting job and a chance to work with cutting-edge technologies
    - One can learn a LOT here. Having worked for a large company of 125k employees for almost 7 years, I know what it means to stagnate and actually lose the skills you originally had - at AE I feel I can learn something new each day
    - Very considerate and caring Line Manager
    - Project- and upper management you can actually talk to!
    - No "politics" whatsoever
    - Excellent workstation, much better than what companies with a thousand times bigger budget will get you
    - Excellent team - there's literally no "weak link", everyone knows what they're doing and everyone helps each other

Cons

None so far - I don't even mind the commute, it's absolutely worth it.

Advice to Management

Carry on doing the great job you're already doing.

Apr 4, 2017 – HR Manager

Thank you for taking the time to write this review. We appreciate your feedback.

"Great Product & Great Culture"

Current Employee - Technical Support Manager in Bath, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Technical Support Manager in Bath, England (UK)

Pros

Actual Experience is developing and growing fast which is no surprise with a product as good as ours. The culture here is great and remains true as we grow, people are welcoming and willing to adjust to the companies needs to ensure the strategy is achieved. This is a dynamic, exciting place to work, the offices are new and very modern and a great environment to be in. Can't fault this company or the people within and i am very happy to be a part of it.
    - Great benefits
    - Good pay
    - Great people
    - Great culture
    - Great location
    - Amazing potential

Cons

There honestly are none that i can find

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing.

Mar 28, 2017 – HR Manager

Thank you for your review. It's great to hear you're enjoying your time with us.