Actuant Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.9
Randy Baker

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "There is a great work/life balance and family comes first" (in 10 reviews)

• "Decent pay, reasonable bonus program, and good benefits" (in 6 reviews)

Cons

"Great Culture, Great People"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Menomonee Fls, WI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Menomonee Fls, WI

I have been working at Actuant full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Everyone works hard to get their work done, but there are great engagement events, training and development opportunities, and schedule flexibility. The facility is great with a full gym including workout classes and resources. Our cafe was recently updated to a self-checkout kiosk making snacks and meals accessible all times of the day. Most of all, I love the people and opportunities for growth with a global company - everyday is different.

Cons

None that I can think of

"Could be Much Better"

I have been working at Actuant full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pay is competitive, there is some flexibility in working from home (dependent on your manager), and there is a lot of focus on furthering education.

Cons

Very high turnover, the benefits (esp. medical and 401K) are not competitive with the market place, there is a lot of office politics/gossip and management has unrealistic expectations - people are expected to do multiple roles and complete projects as quick as possible rather than for quality. Some roles/departments do not have clear growth potential.

"Director"

I worked at Actuant full-time

Pros

Agree the facility is nice, but several cars broken into at the corporate Menomonee Falls location and no formal security team onsite to address security concerns.

Cons

This executive team promotes a “do as I say, not as I do” approach to leading. Senior Leaders walk on eggshells in constant fear of being called “an idiot, moron or stupid” by a member of the Executive team. Top level talent are scrambling to exit, 4 director/VP’s resigned last week.

Advice to Management

Employees are afraid to speak up for fear of retaliation — leaders that have stood up have been exited. Need an independent investigation that assures no bias and includes talking with current and former employees.

"Entry Level Employee"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Menomonee Falls, WI

I have been working at Actuant full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I can't speak for all management, but I get along well with my manager and it makes my job very enjoyable. As an entry level employee it took some time to get adapted to "corporate" life, but I think this company is pretty great so far. The atmosphere is very casual and people are friendly for the most part. The pay is competitive as far as I'm aware, and there is flexibility with work hours. One extra awesome benefit is the on-site gym, with a personal trainer.

Cons

I started as a contractor, which was pretty stressful and I wouldn't want to do that again. But it ended up working out fine because I got hired on full time at the end of my contract. There have been a lot of changes in upper management in the year I've been here, but the changes haven't really affected me at all.

Advice to Management

Focus more on employee development.

5. "Great Company with LOTS of Opportunities"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Menomonee Falls, WI

I have been working at Actuant full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The team I work on was extremely welcoming and is very fun to be a part of. I've had a lot of exposure to all levels of management and was given very impactful projects to work on from day one! The company empowers you to be a decision maker and have a direct impact on the business. You don't need to meet with and get approval from 10 layers of management before can actually do something.
    If you work hard and show you are dependable and you will be rewarded! My manager is very flexible with my hours and allows me to work from home if needed. There is a great work/life balance and family comes first!
    The onsite gym with a certified trainer is an AMAZING benefit! The group classes are popular and fun. The trainer will put together work out programs for you to do in the gym and at home - she is wonderful!

Cons

The company is going through a transformation from a finance driven company to an operations focused company. This change has brought some turnover that has made some uncomfortable. However, if you work hard and push through the transition you have nothing to worry about.

Advice to Management

Keep it going. The transformation we are going through takes time but we know we will be a better, stronger, more successful business as a result. Continue to keep open communication with the employees through the process.

6. "Staff Accountant"

I worked at Actuant full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Many professional teams you are able to work with

Cons

Lack of transparency and communication sometimes

"Absentee Landlords and Bullies"

Current Employee - Shareholder in Columbus, WI
    Current Employee - Shareholder in Columbus, WI

I have been working at Actuant full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

None come to mind. The CEO and CFO are running the place into the ground. They rarely show up to work -- thus the absentee landlord reference. The CEO is driving a new $200K car which the company pays for and yet he has no problem approving the terminations of dedicated, legacy employees. Severance packages are bare bones.

Cons

CEO and CFO refuse to take any ownership for the underperformance of the company. They openly bully people. Those who stand up to them are forced out of the company.

Advice to Management

The Board needs to wake up and fire the entire executive team.

"Marketing Development Program LDP"

I worked at Actuant full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nice co-workers, great on site gym, great compensation. Benefits are ok

Cons

Every single decision is made by the finance people. If they don't see a return on their investment they will not do it. This includes investing in training and career development. No one in HR would ever listen to anyone outside of HR. Every time I would try and schedule a meeting with them they would either not show up or just straight decline my request with no response. They treat their employees as a number instead of a person. During my time here my self confidence was shot and ruined.

Advice to Management

Stop treating people like a number and more like an employee.

9. "Job Review"

Current Employee - Leadership Development Program in Menomonee Fls, WI
    Current Employee - Leadership Development Program in Menomonee Fls, WI

I have been working at Actuant full-time

Pros

Nice people, newer office with a gym, full benefits, work life balance depends on business unit/manager you work for

Cons

Lots of changes in management, limited vacation, and below average pay, internal promotions are limited and often do not get preference over external

10. "Good place to work"

Former Employee - Sales
    Former Employee - Sales

I worked at Actuant full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good hard working people. Good benefits and bonus

Cons

segments do not share the vision