Acuity Brands Reviews | Glassdoor

Acuity Brands Reviews

Updated May 22, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Acuity Brands Chairman, President, and CEO; President and CEO, Acuity Brands Lighting Vern Nagel
Vern Nagel

Pros
  • 4 day work week, remote work available in some areas (in 12 reviews)

• Great pay and benefits, professtional people (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Fast paced, work- life balance not real good (in 10 reviews)

• Middle/Upper Management completely disconnected from daily work (in 12 reviews)

1. "Well Compensated"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Acuity Brands full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pays very well, great co-workers, good monetary benefits

Cons

Typical large company issues (a lot of red tape to go through to get anything done), very monotonous job

2. "Decent and Corporate"

Current Employee - Senior Illumination Engineer in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Senior Illumination Engineer in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Acuity Brands full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Cool people, cool projects, lots of new projects and new ventures.

Cons

Reorganization happens frequently. A bit of over-emphasis on speed and growth

3. "Easy job with great pay"

Current Employee - Distribution Attendant in Hanover Park, IL
    Current Employee - Distribution Attendant in Hanover Park, IL

I have been working at Acuity Brands full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

A lot of overtime so yearly pay can balloon 2x. Some chances of advancement in certain areas. Better lucky then talented.

Cons

Too many complaints from individuals who do not work. Union shop, equal pay for unequal work is a horrible thing.

"Flex hours with some telecommute options"

Former Employee - Applications Engineer in Conyers, GA
    Former Employee - Applications Engineer in Conyers, GA

I worked at Acuity Brands full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Room for advancement. I had a great manager. Could work from home if necessary. Alternating Fridays off. Kaizans to promote Lean Systems and development new processes and SOW.

Cons

Department dissolved. New upper management came in and let go of long standing older and knowledgeable employees then hired new employees.

6. "Lots of opportunities, and challenges"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Conyers, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Conyers, GA

I have been working at Acuity Brands full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

They are the largest lighting mfg in NA. They are the market leader due to being a relatively early innovator for a company of their size and being the incumbent. The CEO Vern Nagel has made some savvy choices in management and strategic acquisitions. It's always has been a freindly environment to work in - good people. 4-day 10-hr work week.

Cons

Competetive environment - no room for slackers. Despite wins they are still a huge company (for their category) and the pace of change can be frustrating. There is a recognition of the need for change but it's hard for this company to let go of their traditional business or truly embrace ideas that conflict with it.

Advice to Management

True change in a time of market disruption will hurt.

7. "Great culture, fun place to work hard, awesome compensation if you know how to negotiate."

Current Employee - Director in Conyers, GA
    Current Employee - Director in Conyers, GA

I have been working at Acuity Brands full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lots of growth, fast changing and progressive culture.

Cons

The 4 day work week can make for some very long 10-12 hour days. It can be a very hard week. But, Friday's off are nice! It is hard, but I'd say it is worth it.

Advice to Management

Don't lose the human side of business. The company moves very fast, and there is a lot of positive change. It is obvious that management cares, and is working to deliver a positive work environment. However, the speed of change can be hard for many, and some people need more guidance on how to grow with the change. Don't be too quick to undervalue tenure.

"OK company if you lack career goals and ambition"

Former Employee - Engineer in Decatur, GA
    Former Employee - Engineer in Decatur, GA

I worked at Acuity Brands full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Acuity's HQ is nice, and there are lots of nice people there. Amenities include free snacks, a gym with other sports-related stuff, a cafe, and a game room.

A handful of people walk around the track that the facility has during lunch hours, and after work, sometimes people play basketball on their outdoor court.

There are lots of nice people there.

Cons

- Lots and lots of mundane work. With large companies, there end up being a lot of jobs that people don't want to do. The odds of you doing what you want decrease significantly when you come to a company this size. I encountered many people who were new to the company and were discontent/underwhelmed with what they were doing.

- Lots of standard work that magnify the amount of work that one has to do in order to get things done.

I would've liked to have stayed (if I could do what was initially described during the interview), but I ultimately realized that this company just needed a warm body to wrap up loose ends with projects and did not care about personal growth or a sense of fulfillment for that individual.

- Acquisitions and subsequent layoffs/shutdowns ends up transitioning a lot of projects poorly.

- Lack of training... I learned everything through hearsay and mistakes. A company of this size needs to get its act together such that their employees, in any division, are able to hit the ground running when they hop onboard.

- People play the blame game a lot, and people are oftentimes unhelpful. That is because effectively all the projects are timed, and so any help towards anyone outside a person's direct scope doesn't benefit them.

As previously stated, there are a lot of good people at this company... but in my experience, if you're a young engineer looking to join, I'd avoid it. My pay was fine, however many people I spoke to (engineers in particular) had relatively mediocre pay, so I can't even recommend this place in terms of compensation.

Good luck Acuity... My biggest beef with you was your lack of concern for your employees.

2 days at my new job and I've already done more than a year at Acuity.

Within 2 weeks at this new job, I've already gotten more feedback on my work than my entire time at Acuity.

Don't get so wrapped up trying to make money that you forget about the human element that drives your company. You need people to stick around, so if you show them some care and concern, they might return the favor.

Advice to Management

Invest in a few software people to make the small, mundane programs that will make the lives of your underlings a little bit easier.

Talk to your workers and understand who they are and what they want to do. You'll lose them if you cannot appeal to them.

9. "Good people to work for with fair expectations and a kind willingness to push you for stretch goals"

Current Employee - Warranty Administrator in Duluth, GA
    Current Employee - Warranty Administrator in Duluth, GA

I have been working at Acuity Brands full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The environment is friendly and dynamic and you are on the ground floor for big changes in a industry ripe for growth with technology.

Cons

Lots of turnover. People leave or are let go at the rate of about 8 out of a department of 200, per year.

Advice to Management

Learn to keep and develop your people. Even if this means being pickier in who you hire.

"It's a challenging company with lots of change on a regular basis."

Current Employee - Senior Financial Analyst in Tucker, GA
    Current Employee - Senior Financial Analyst in Tucker, GA

I have been working at Acuity Brands full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

They are stretching to lead the industry. The technology is exciting and the team is great. Folks really want to win.

Cons

It's a matrix organization and requires constant change. Leadership changes regularly. The focus and priorities change very frequently. It takes effort to manage the change.

"Ruthless - Brutal"

Former Employee - Accountant in Conyers, GA
    Former Employee - Accountant in Conyers, GA

I worked at Acuity Brands full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The pay is comparable to other companies. Conditions during work are relaxed for spurts. Good launch pad for a career, you can get your feet wet.

Cons

Don't get comfy, sudden shifts in wants and demands are stressful. All focus is on the company stock price and heads roll, positions shift, sections rise and fall accordingly. Lean management became mean management. Employees are thrown under the bus often and suddenly without any advance notice or prediction. If you go to work there start looking right away for an improved situation with stability unless surprises and sudden shifts thrill you. Because when they don't need you there is no mercy. The employees are work horses.

Advice to Management

You don't have to be inhuman to get rich. The waste from the hasty shifts is appalling. Management does not mean over reacting to every stock bump and grind.