Acuity Mutual Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.9
Ben Salzmann

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Great Company that Focuses on Its Shareholders"

Former Employee - Senior Field Claims Adjuster in Layton, UT
    Former Employee - Senior Field Claims Adjuster in Layton, UT

I worked at Acuity Mutual full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Ability to work from home, casual laid-back management, proper claim authority, gives credit for time in the industry when calculating vacation

Cons

The company has been growing at incredible speeds, could be cause for worry in relation to the family-like corporate culture

Advice to Management

None--employees are allowed to use their own discretion and tools to resolve claims

"Acuity"

I have been working at Acuity Mutual full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Incredible benefits (employer 401K contribution, health insurance, employer HSA contribution, unlimited sick time), flexible schedule, frequent gifts from employer, company events including free food

Cons

Work is not always the most intriguing, very large company - difficult to advance in your career

3. "Clerical"

I worked at Acuity Mutual full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

EAC is good at arranging company events.

Cons

Not many advancement opportunities.

4. "Great Culture"

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Sheboygan, WI
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Sheboygan, WI

I have been working at Acuity Mutual full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Management is great, benefits amazing

Cons

Some politics to move up and not the most exciting industry

5. "Senior Commercial Underwriter"

I have been working at Acuity Mutual full-time

Pros

Great benefits, flexible schedule, good systems.

Cons

Does not offer work from home even for long term employees.

6. "Commercial Underwriter"

Pros

Benefit package is very nice.

Cons

No work from home options

"Successful, generous company lacking diversity and innovation."

Pros

The views and opinions expressed here are entirely my own and do not necessarily represent the views or opinions of Acuity.

Executive leadership is top notch, proven by the companies success. They have earned numerous awards across multiple business units and are recognized as a Great Place To Work. It is a fantastic place to start a career, but depending on your career goals it may not be the best time investment for long term employment. Despite enormous growth and expansion, recent changes in hiring standards, below market salaries, and rising turnover rates of senior talent are reshaping the company culture.

-Extremely generous to their employees with benefits, gifts and recognition.
    -Genuinely treat their employees as valued members of the organization.
    -Successful, stable company well suited for continued success.
    -Flex schedules are permitted for exempt employees.
    -Onsite cafeteria with many choices.
    -It is a great place to work if you don't mind small town life, gifts, benefits and social functions in lieu of salary.

Cons

-Severe lack of diversity, deeply hinged on small town values combined with below market salaries prevents attracting top talent.
    -The majority of talent comes from small upper midwestern towns, regional private and extension colleges.
    -Promotions based on seniority over qualifications result in a lack of leadership, standards and accountability, especially with middle management.
    -Work-life balance supported in theory but not in practice, options like work from home/telecommute days are not typically permitted, even during inclement weather.
    -No concept of compensatory time for extra hours worked.
    -Usage of sick time is discouraged by management even though promoted as a benefit.
    -IT departmental group thinking results in overly stringent security policies, aversion to adopt latest technologies, and maintaining outdated systems which hinder innovation, extending project timelines.
    -Projects often delayed due to lack of innovation, communication, priorities, and organization from supporting departments.

Advice to Management

Don't forget where you came from: there is a difference between filling a position and doing a job. The last decade of success is directly attributed to the selective hiring standards used to employ the best of the best. These seasoned employees continue handling a bulk of the work, yet their compensation is falling behind. Keep salaries aligned with market rates in place of freebies, perks, and gifts. Overhaul the hiring philosophy to attract nationwide/global talent.

8. "Great place. Outdated systems"

Pros

Great atmosphere and people. More fun little perks then anywhere else.

Cons

Systems are outdated and they still use COBOL (first language ever)

"Everything I heard was true."

Current Employee - Programmer in Sheboygan, WI
    Current Employee - Programmer in Sheboygan, WI

I have been working at Acuity Mutual full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Full disclosure, I'm writing as a programmer and I don't speak for other departments.

I've worked some terrible jobs. I've always researched online reviews before I've taken those jobs, and unfailingly, the bad jobs have had terrible reviews; so I put a lot of stock in this. One of my first green flags to work at Acuity was that I had to look to find negative reviews, and once again the internet got it right.

This place redefines what it means to be a good employer. Watch any of their workplace videos to get an idea and then believe every second of it. (I've found that the friends who think they over-hype or over-sell themselves have generally not had much workforce experience.) They have been, to me, almost everything I could have possibly brainstormed and written on a piece of paper titled "A Good Employer Should..."

Only a fool would decline an offer.

Cons

On a company level, it seems they have not chosen to pursue environmentalism or resource conservation as meaningful priorities.

The iPads offered to all employees seem spiffy at first, but when you realize this means no laptops, it's actually quite constraining, particularly as a programmer. This means no possibility of meaningful work from home, no ability to ever enjoy the beautiful grounds or work anywhere but your desk, no ability to even carry your program to a teammate's desk. The lack of mobility feels old-fashioned for an otherwise surprisingly modern insurance company.

On a department level, our teams can feel like departments unto themselves, and this can be daunting when trying to work on the same systems. Cross-team communication and relationships could improve. The experience of waiting to be placed on a team in training, which basically decides the next decade or more of your career in MIS, is mysterious and nerve-wracking and would be much better at the beginning than the end.

These are minor criticisms, and the fact that I have to dig this far down to come up with negatives is a huge testament to just how awesome Acuity is.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing! Maybe let your programmers have laptops.

"Commercial Underwriter"

I have been working at Acuity Mutual full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Little gifts here and there.

Cons

Large workloads that keep getting bigger but pay doesn't keep up. More turnover so more workloads for everyone remaining. Stingy with senior title promotions. Everyone is dispensable, and no attempted negotiations for exiting employees that are extremely valuable to the company and have helped drive the company's success. Underpaid compared to the industry.

Advice to Management

Push HR to hire more experienced employees, and to pay those experienced underwriters here more in order to keep them, and keep our results favorable. Too much emphasis on keeping the young employees happy, but forgetting about the seasoned employees that built this company and grew it in the last ten years to what it is today.