AdColony Reviews | Glassdoor

Will Kassoy

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. Featured Review

"Best place to work!"

I have been working at AdColony full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This is by far the best company I've worked for thus far. I have worked at startups, small businesses and large companies and Ad Colony has a great balance between a flexible startup, fast-paced atmosphere with deep industry knowledge in the ad tech space. We use the best tech: Slack, Macs, Google email and calendar, and my team is super smart with a great vibe :)

Cons

Lots of changes in org structure but I think this is being managed well and will stabilize in the next month or two.

"Used to be Great"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at AdColony full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Work/life balance
    - Smart and talented people
    - Fully stocked kitchen
    - Flexibility to work from home when need be

Cons

- Lack of transparency between Execs and rest of company, especially the LA office to everyone other office
    - CEO has no idea what he is doing
    - There were layoffs in June which has really hurt company morale
    - Sales team is very closed off from the rest of the teams in the office and seems to get special treatment over everyone else

Advice to Management

Be more inclusionary in your decision making. Don't just take what the Sales team wants into account and forget about everyone else. Do more morale boosting and team bonding things to try and get back to where we used to be.

"Find another job and leave if you can"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at AdColony full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The only good thing about this place is the flexibility, you can work from home or show up for half a day, management does not seem to care. Or maybe they don't know since they are doing the same!

Cons

Used to be a good place to come in for work, people used to collaborate and work with one another. Since the laid offs....people are in for themselves, fighting for power, becoming dishonest and not trust worthy. Management is not being transparent and not communicating well. They seem to take care of the folks in LA office better than other offices, no impact for LA office after the massive laid-off but other offices such as San Mateo, San Francisco, New York were greatly affected. Good people with good skills got terminated...who is left?

Advice to Management

Focus and rebuild company's culture, be transparent about company's plan and how to make it better. Stop the cover up and pretend that everything is ok, it is not...

"Now is not the time to join"

I worked at AdColony full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Mostly very talented people to work with
    - Flexibility (though this is being eroded)

Cons

- Holding company in Oslo has no idea how to run an AdTech business and no interest in learning how to do so.
    - An Exec team in the US blinded by ego. There are exceptions to this but the exceptions are not gaining ground.
    - No direction whatsoever. The CEO cannot seem to acknowledge what is going on which leads to a complete lack of trust in leadership as a whole.
    - A heavy penchant for being very LA focused.
    - The latest RIF has made for a very solemn atmosphere.

Advice to Management

None. The current environment is too far gone.

"Mostly good"

I worked at AdColony full-time

Pros

the snacks and the people

Cons

can be cliquey, spoils certain teams

Advice to Management

Give more transparency to what each team does

6. "Director"

I worked at AdColony full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great CEO and an excellent team

Cons

Was better when we were focused on one quality product. Merger w/ Opera changed atmosphere and direction

"Great Culture With A Few Caveats"

Current Employee - Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Software Engineer

I have been working at AdColony full-time

Pros

The culture really is very solid, with an emphasis on life/work balance. The offices are extremely nice, with an impressive offering of snacks, drinks, and recreation. There are free lunches once a week, and company events fairly often, and all in all most people are genuinely happy to be a part of it.

As a business, there's been a lot of steady growth, even with some downturns. There's an emphasis on quality engineering and teamwork across the organization. The benefits offered are great and competitive.

Cons

On culture, HR will often push programs and ideals that aren't always followed up on by the company, resulting in overhead that doesn't really go anywhere. Transparency is lauded, but demoralizing lay offs will often come out of no where with no expectation or communication.

On the business side, there are definite drops in performance that cause a stir. During the growth sprees, there's not as great organization in making sure every new employee fits well, so there's some disjointedness there.

Advice to Management

Aim for a more consistent and steady trajectory

"Transparency is a double-edged sword"

I have been working at AdColony full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits, excellent forward momentum as a company, growth industry, great people. I've worked across industries, across a variety of company sizes, and AdColony is one of the best.

Cons

Room for growth outside of sales teams (where it seems new Director and up titles are made up every quarter or so just to keep people happy) is very minimal, because high level retention is so high. This needs to be figured out unless you want the talented middle to go elsewhere.

Product/Engineering/Sales/etc. all seem very siloed, with some communication really not making its way across divisions.

Advice to Management

Focus on internal communications and mid-level promotions outside of sales.

"Confusing times"

Current Employee - Senior Account Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Account Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at AdColony full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

People, benefits, and fantastic work life balance (although I think it might be group specific) that's hard to beat.

Cons

Every year, it's something new. We're being sold, there's restructuring, there's always uncertainty. This year, raises/promotions are hard to come by because the company needs to shave off money to look attractive for an acquisition.

It's very confusing because HR is investing time and money in employee retention programs and people still leave in herds after every yearly performance review season, so what is the point?

Advice to Management

I can't imagine how difficult it is to run a company where you need to please both investors and employees.
    I really don't have advice, because I honestly don't get it. But, from a personal standpoint, it's really disappointing when you are working hard are directly responsible for increasing revenues and profit margins and then are clearly not on the same page about rewarding that hard work.

"Ambigious hiring process"

Pros

Dont find any pro's of working

Cons

Hiring process is very ambigious