Adams 12 Five Star Schools Reviews | Glassdoor

Adams 12 Five Star Schools Superintendent Chris Gdowski
Chris Gdowski

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Case Manager"

I have been working at Adams 12 Five Star Schools full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Positive environment, decent benefits, good coworkers

Cons

Some lack of cultural diversity

2. "Incredible and supportive place to work."

I worked at Adams 12 Five Star Schools full-time

Pros

Very supportive environment, purposeful job, the leadership will listen, the students are amazing

Cons

Lower than average pay due to nature of charter school funding

3. "ParaEducator"

Former Employee - Paraprofessional in Thornton, CO
    Former Employee - Paraprofessional in Thornton, CO

I worked at Adams 12 Five Star Schools part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Help next generation to have and build a bright future.

Cons

No career advancement opportunities. Unpaid time off in the summer.

"System Administrator"

I worked at Adams 12 Five Star Schools full-time

Pros

Great Benefits and time off

Cons

Lack of integrity and trust

5. "Campus Security Officer"

Current Employee - Campus Safety Officer in Broomfield, CO
    Current Employee - Campus Safety Officer in Broomfield, CO

I have been working at Adams 12 Five Star Schools full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Working with kids, nights and weekends off.

Cons

No career advancement opportunities, unpaid time off in the summer.

"Shady Practices - Deceive Business & Voters - Violate Board & State Procurement Code"

Current Employee - Facilities - Anonymous in Thornton, CO
    Current Employee - Facilities - Anonymous in Thornton, CO

I have been working at Adams 12 Five Star Schools full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Coworkers are hard working that collaborate together to tackle a ton of goals.

Cons

Many businesses are missing opportunities; projects contracted without following State Procurement Code or Superintendent Policy, change orders created instead of new projects bid out when not related to base contract, string contractors along with no intention of hiring. Promised voters to repair/replace aging components under initiative to include paying back funds borrowed used for same purpose. Loan not paid.
    When employees raise concern of policy violations they are let go or job made so difficult they leave. Year after year they let hardworking, dedicated, long time employees go for no cause then replace them a month later with mostly younger candidate at lower pay. Reports to HR cause was "job performance issues", tells employee it's restructuring. Gives poor reviews to potential employers causing loss of opportunities for job seekers.
    Nepotism runs rapid; contracting phone services with wife’s company even though it costs more to switch. When brought to management, employee reported terminated and replaced a month later. Complaints of purchasing agent, son in law of executive secretary, employee complained terminated then replaced a month later.
    Leadership manages with bully mentality; the climate is of fear, holds employment contract over your head, constant CYA atmosphere, logs employee’s mistakes to use against when most times the issue is exaggerated or has no merit, keep head down and do not speak your truth or you are canned.
    Most likely, this post will be removed as I seen prior A12 posts disappear.

Advice to Management

Wake up!!!! Take supervisory and sensitivity training.

"Agree with other reviews"

I have been working at Adams 12 Five Star Schools full-time

Pros

People work hard, vacation time

Cons

I would agree with other reviews. There is a lack of communication in my department . People work hard but work against each other and tend to do the same assignment over and over. There is definitely that fear, especially on Finance. We heard about the CFO's reputation when she got here but never expected her to be this bad. HR protects her and not her employees. If your planning on interviewing or seeking employment opportunities, look the other way.

Advice to Management

Listen to culture reviews and it's employees. When many people leave, there is an issue. Wake up. Make sure policies and procedures are followed.

"I don't recommend working in Administration/ESC"

I worked at Adams 12 Five Star Schools full-time

Pros

Benefits and work life balance

Cons

I worked at the administration level at the ESC. There were a lot of issues among co-workers and our director would not address them. On several occasions I talked to our director about employees harassing co-workers, lying about work, etc. I could tell there was no interest in hearing about the issues and nothing ever changed. Thus I felt I had to fend for myself with some pretty high level problems where someone of a higher level should have stepped in.

Many of the people who have been here for a long time are complacent and will admit they are just sticking around for the retirement benefits. So you won't find a lot of progressive ideas or change. If you are a younger worker or someone coming in new to the organization, you may find that you get dumped on by your co-workers. Meaning they will give you the work that they don't want. I found myself often doing low level work for extended amounts of time, because no one else wanted to things like file paperwork, etc. When we rolled out a new program that sometimes required working during off hours, I found that others would assign me the task and would make excuses as to why they couldn't do it.

Advice to Management

Deal with problem employees in your department. Gossips, liars and bullies should have no place, especially in high level departments. If you want a quality workplace, reward the people who are progressive and who go the extra mile to make the department and the district a better place.

9. "Great district to work for"

Current Employee - Teacher
    Current Employee - Teacher

I have been working at Adams 12 Five Star Schools full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

They have the right people in charge who do what they can to build the right leaders and so on and so forth.

Cons

Starting pay is lower than some of the big districts but the ceiling is high, and nothing can buy happiness.

Advice to Management

Put some pressure on those schools that rest on their laurels and walk around touting their data, that is due to parents and students who live above the poverty line, and in spite of the teaching and crappy attitudes that teachers have. They aren't meeting the needs of their neediest kids, and it's sad to watch.

"Great School District to work for"

Pros

Good employees, room to move around and grow

Cons

low pay, tough to get in from the outside