Adams 12 Five Star Schools Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

2.9
Rating Trends Rating Trends
CEO

1. "Great district to work for"

Current Employee - Teacher
    Current Employee - Teacher

I have been working at Adams 12 Five Star Schools full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

They have the right people in charge who do what they can to build the right leaders and so on and so forth.

Cons

Starting pay is lower than some of the big districts but the ceiling is high, and nothing can buy happiness.

Advice to Management

Put some pressure on those schools that rest on their laurels and walk around touting their data, that is due to parents and students who live above the poverty line, and in spite of the teaching and crappy attitudes that teachers have. They aren't meeting the needs of their neediest kids, and it's sad to watch.

2. "I don't recommend working in Administration/ESC"

I worked at Adams 12 Five Star Schools full-time

Pros

Benefits and work life balance

Cons

I worked at the administration level at the ESC. There were a lot of issues among co-workers and our director would not address them. On several occasions I talked to our director about employees harassing co-workers, lying about work, etc. I could tell there was no interest in hearing about the issues and nothing ever changed. Thus I felt I had to fend for myself with some pretty high level problems where someone of a higher level should have stepped in.

Many of the people who have been here for a long time are complacent and will admit they are just sticking around for the retirement benefits. So you won't find a lot of progressive ideas or change. If you are a younger worker or someone coming in new to the organization, you may find that you get dumped on by your co-workers. Meaning they will give you the work that they don't want. I found myself often doing low level work for extended amounts of time, because no one else wanted to things like file paperwork, etc. When we rolled out a new program that sometimes required working during off hours, I found that others would assign me the task and would make excuses as to why they couldn't do it.

Advice to Management

Deal with problem employees in your department. Gossips, liars and bullies should have no place, especially in high level departments. If you want a quality workplace, reward the people who are progressive and who go the extra mile to make the department and the district a better place.

3. "Middle School Teacher"

Former Employee - Middle School Teachwer in Broomfield, CO
    Former Employee - Middle School Teachwer in Broomfield, CO

I worked at Adams 12 Five Star Schools full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Benefits (healthcare, pay, & PERA); Emphasis of Collaboration (at the school I was at); Good support in place for starting teachers (at the school I was at); Mix of ages and years of experience to collaborate with;

Cons

Consistent vision across the district; Constantly putting in place new ideas/protocols; District level admin seem out of touch with classroom and understanding what the actual needs are; Materials did not align with standards they were asking us to meet - which allowed freedom to do our own thing, but also less structure

Advice to Management

Keep the mission and vision in sight at all times - visit classrooms on a regular basis - ditch the "good ole boy" system

5. "Great School District to work for"

Pros

Good employees, room to move around and grow

Cons

low pay, tough to get in from the outside

"Stay away!"

Former Employee - Secretary in Thornton, CO
    Former Employee - Secretary in Thornton, CO

I worked at Adams 12 Five Star Schools full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Summer's off, Good Pay, Good benefits

Cons

Lack of communication, Lack of organizations, No specific job duties ever given

Advice to Management

Get to know your employees
    Hire a superintendent who actually knows and has experience in a classroom!

"Don't work at ESC unless you really need work"

Current Employee - Project Coordinator in Thornton, CO
    Current Employee - Project Coordinator in Thornton, CO

I have been working at Adams 12 Five Star Schools full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Vacation. Maybe some nice people at the tactical level, still not sure. The coffee shop next door is great, so is the workout center.

Cons

Poor direction, leadership, and a very spiteful, toxic culture made up of old timers who are paranoid and terrible at their jobs. At the highest level and the nastiness permeates all throughout the organization. They sure don't concern themselves with helping schools and teachers educate kids. They say the right things but that's where it stops.

Advice to Management

Not sure, it starts at the chief level.

8. "paraprofessional"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Thornton, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Thornton, CO

I worked at Adams 12 Five Star Schools (More than a year)

Pros

consistent schedule, decent pay,decent benefits, holidays off, ability to transfer to other schools, clear policies and procedures

Cons

experience and suggestions not valued, no on going training, no support, treated as if you're going to quit

Advice to Management

find experienced people then nurture their academic success, value a person's experience as much as their degree

9. "Good Overall"

I worked at Adams 12 Five Star Schools full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits and vacation time. Co-workers are friendly and helpful. Flexible work schedule too. The students are good to work with.

Cons

The location was quite far from where I live. Traffic can be difficult to get through so prepare early. The ESC building is very cold all year long.

Advice to Management

Take time train and listen to your colleague

"I love this job!"

Current Employee - BASE Site Leader in Thornton, CO
    Current Employee - BASE Site Leader in Thornton, CO

I have been working at Adams 12 Five Star Schools part-time

Pros

The experiences and relationships with the students! Step up program leads to increased hourly pay based on experience and time spent on the job!

Cons

Pay checks are once a month at the end of the month. Hard to budget. Also, dealing with changing policies can be difficult. If you have a good director it's fine though!

11. "Teaching"

I worked at Adams 12 Five Star Schools full-time

Pros

Working with the kids is awesome, most of the time. I loved the teaching staff!

Cons

Administration is obligated to not effectively treat problems, which become difficult for classroom management.