Adams County, Colorado Reviews | Glassdoor

2.6
CEO

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. Featured Review

"A good place to work if you can handle the challenges of a government job."

I have been working at Adams County, Colorado full-time

Pros

Workforce is a great team to be a part of. The leadership on our team are responsive, fair, and give us room to grow. They listen to us and do the best they can to give us the tools to do our jobs well.

Cons

Government work always comes with rules and regulations that seem nonsensical. We are bound by laws that are most often written by people with no idea of the work that we do.

May 9, 2018 – HR Manager

We are glad to hear that you are enjoying your team! Thank you for being a part of the Adams County team!!

2. "Good place to work; current management is moving in the right direction."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brighton, CO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brighton, CO

I have been working at Adams County, Colorado full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Working at Adams County has been a genuinely positive experience for me, and I believe the same for my co-workers. There are a lot of talented people here who have chosen to work in government to be public servants and who enjoy the opportunity to have interesting work with the benefits of public sector employment. Adams County has great benefits, and competitive pay, along with a new management team that is working tirelessly to make the County better - both for the public and for employees. The Interim County Manger has a real heart for employees, and has made positive changes in the culture and atmosphere of the County in the short time he has been in the position.

Cons

For employees in the Administration Building, development around the building has been non-existent, leaving few close options for lunch or errands. For employees in other, older, buildings, the office environment has been needing improvements, which should come soon for many in the Human Services department with a move to a new building this fall.

Advice to Management

Keep up the positive changes that have been taking place in the last few months (2017).

Jul 31, 2017 – Senior Hr Business Partner

Thank you for your continued service to the county and our residents.

We are excited to hear that you have had a positive experience working at Adams County and with the new County Leadership; we... More

3. "I like it"

Pros

Very interactive work environment, very nice people

Cons

Outdated technology sometimes feel unacknowledged

Sep 10, 2018 – HR Manager

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback! We are happy to hear that you are enjoying your job and like the people you work with! We are Adams!

4. "Moving in the right direction"

I have been working at Adams County, Colorado full-time

Pros

Great people and good benefits. In the midst of some organizational change, however I believe there is positive intent and supportive leadership behind the changes.

Cons

Change isn't always easy and can be a slow process. I think the organization is moving in the right direction.

5. "Senior Administrative Clerk"

I worked at Adams County, Colorado full-time

Pros

I love the Head Start program. Very beneficial to the community we served.

Cons

The pay was lower then standard.

6. "Great Benefits"

Current Employee - Construction Inspector II in Brighton, CO
    Current Employee - Construction Inspector II in Brighton, CO

I have been working at Adams County, Colorado full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Medical, Dental, Vision, Aflac, Work vehicle

Cons

Most of the pay check is benefits and coverage

"Absolute Terror of an Employer"

Former Employee - Legal Tech in Commerce City, CO
    Former Employee - Legal Tech in Commerce City, CO

I worked at Adams County, Colorado full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The deposited paychecks on time and provided health insurance. That's it for "pros."

Cons

Where do I begin? If one person dislikes you they will poison not only your department against you but other departments, as well. I worked in Child Support Enforcement and someone decided they didn't like me. Within weeks, my entire department stopped talking to me and pretty soon other departments were against me and my work. My department stopped training me. They stopped including me in small group meetings. They "celebrated" my birthday out of obligation. It was so awkward. No amount of small talk or donuts could make these people smile. All they did was gossip about other employees and talk trash about Adams County Government. I won't even get started on how they spoke about the clients seeking the county services for child support enforcement. The management was entirely unqualified to run a soup kitchen let alone departments that the public depend upon for money, food, or health services for children and teens or the elderly. I've never been stabbed in the back and thrown under the bus SO MANY times in any job in my life. I had a better working environment at Village Inn when I was in high school and I worked with ex-cons, recovering alcoholics, and former drug abusers.

Advice to Management

Grow up. High people into management positions that have qualification, not because they are good shopping and drinking buddies with the directors. Stop the office gossip. It was like a scene from Mean Girls in that place.

Apr 3, 2018 – HR Manager

We thank you for your interest in working for Adams County, and especially on behalf of our most vulnerable residents that depend on the professionalism the vast majority of our Human Services... More

"Worst Management Ever"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Westminster, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Westminster, CO

I worked at Adams County, Colorado full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice building and perks. New fitness center, lunchroom and wellness clinic.

Cons

Unable to enjoy perks due to being overworked and underpaid. High turnover rate. Not enough training, old school management, leads are all over the place only some are top notch the rest have been there too long and do not want to get with the new. Overload of work, it is frowned upon to take lunches and breaks even though you are entitled to it. The supervisors act like they want you to take lunches but they watch you like hawks. All of the offices were made of glass so that you can be a fish bowl office. Pension is mandatory 9% and benefit package is insanely expensive after all deductions you end up making less than minimum wage.
    The stress is not worth the pay.

Advice to Management

Supervisors need to take the culture and humility training class a few more times until they can learn to identify with their employees not just clients.

Mar 9, 2018 – HR Manager

Thank you for your service to Adams County and our residents. We appreciate the recognition of our new Pete Mirelez Human Services Center and the amenities our residents and employees enjoy in this... More

"Not a good experience here"

I worked at Adams County, Colorado full-time

Pros

Health related benefits and days off.

Cons

Too many. I worked here for way longer than I wanted to. I found it difficult to leave though because I wanted to find something better and having government experience did not look good on my resume. I gave this organization my all but never felt rewarded or appreciated until I gave my resignation. I left this place feeling like a battered woman leaving her abuser. There were so many things that happened in my department, during my time here, that went above and beyond inappropriate. I was afraid to tell the head of our department, for fear of retaliation. I had to make the decision to be a whistleblower or leave quietly. I have regrets about not speaking up, but at the time was fearful of what could happen if I did. I never had confidence that the head of the department would take any action. Many of the people in question still work in this organization in a management capacity. They were doing things that they would have had to have terminated others for. For those reading this review and considering employment here, please know that I am not a disgruntled worker and I did leave on good terms. Trust the majority of reviews and continue your search to hopefully end up in a better place.

Advice to Management

Advice to the management reading the reviews feels like a lost cause. Feedback given as an employee was ineffective so I am at a loss here. I know this review will seem vague because I am unable to name names, job titles (per Glassdoor guidelines) or specific events that occurred, however even if I was able to, I know it wouldn't change your perspective or the way that you operate. My hope with this review is that I can help give clear perspective to job seekers so they can effectively evaluate their options.

Mar 9, 2018 – HR Manager

Thank you for the years of service to Adams County and our residents. We have found a common theme with your former co-workers who also love our benefits package and the commitment to a positive... More

"Highway worker"

Current Employee - Highway Worker in Brighton, CO
    Current Employee - Highway Worker in Brighton, CO

I have been working at Adams County, Colorado full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Very good hours four tens in the summer. Good holidays

Cons

Can get very boring sometimes. Management

Advice to Management

Don’t feed people a bunch of lies just so they will stay working there. Would rather hire external because the they are friends with the guy rather than hire internal.