Adams Street Publishing Reviews | Glassdoor

Adams Street Publishing Reviews

Updated Nov 12, 2019

2.8
Adams Street Publishing CEO Collette Jacobs  (no image)
Collette Jacobs
  1. "Fast-paced, limitless opportunity"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Ann Arbor, MI

I have been working at Adams Street Publishing full-time for less than a year

Pros

This job is what you make of it. If you are a go-getter, willing to hustle and push yourself to reach as many people as possible, you will do well. Those who choose to complain instead of putting in the work will never survive.

Cons

You're always "working." Phone calls and emails from clients never stop, it is truly a lifestyle, but if you love and believe in what you do, it's all worth it.

Advice to Management

Continue to encourage input from top performers.

Adams Street Publishing2019-11-12
  2. "Former Salesperson"

I worked at Adams Street Publishing

Pros

If you like calling on locally owned businesses, you will get an opportunity to do so.

Cons

A toxic work environment. Goals are unreasonable and never attained leading to constant turnover. The owners are not willing to take advice. In the little over the one year I was there, two sales managers were brought in and quit as they were not allowed to affect positive change. I would not recommend this company to any salesperson. There is just too much negativity, poor compensation and no benefits.

Advice to Management

If you actually respected your sales staff, you would not have the horrendous turnover that is hurting your company. You would put together a compensation plan that would give a salesperson a realistic opportunity to make a living wage. The chances that a prospect becomes an account with five different salespeople calling on them in a year is not very good. Since you have been running the company in this manner for... over 20 years, I don’t expect anything to change in the future.

Adams Street Publishing2019-11-04

"Great Company, Great People, Great Opportunities."

Current Employee - Writer in Toledo, OH

I have been working at Adams Street Publishing full-time for more than a year

Pros

I absolutely love working for Adams Street Publishing. The team here is smart, creative and helpful. Collette is a fun boss to work for and when she's in the office, her door is always open to talk ideas and give advice. I'm constantly learning new things everyday, and this is the perfect opportunity to get your work published and your foot in the door of the media industry. You get free food if you write food... reviews and lunch is always provided on all staff meeting days. Sometimes it's brought in on random days too, so that's cool. You can attend a lot of great events for free, meet tons of interesting people, and build connections. Schedules are flexible, but overtime isn't always accepted because duh, money. If you're looking to get rich, maybe find a side gig. It's a small business, so your salary isn't jaw-dropping, but it's fair. This job certainly isn't for anyone, but I've had a blast working as an in-house writer, calendar editor, and now digital media guru. If you're determined, adaptable and willing to learn new skills, you will do great here.

Cons

Because this is media, work is a fast-paced environment which can be stressful at times, but it's all part of the industry. Last minute changes come in every month, so be prepared to make them in a short amount of time.

Advice to Management

As previous reviews stated, positive reinforcement goes a long way. I've seen a lot of improvement on this though in the year that I've been here. Communication can be improved on. Between the two owners, instructions can get mixed up and create confusing scenarios. But honestly, it's not hard to figure out what they want.

Adams Street Publishing2019-02-05

"You Get What You Put In"

Former Employee - Account Executive in Ann Arbor, MI

I worked at Adams Street Publishing full-time for less than a year

Pros

What I love about this job is that the more you put into this position the more you get out of the company, with a base salary and commission opportunities. With my position in sales, there was a lot of getting out to the community, meeting new people and going to major events in the area. If you like going to new restaurants, setting up events, going to events, mingling with people, this is the spot for you.... No two days are the same, always excited.

Cons

There is a more relaxed environment and if you need a formal structure this may not be for you. Not completely a con but for some people, it may be.

Advice to Management

Invest in a full-time office manager in Ann Arbor, may help the left hand talk to the right hand

Adams Street Publishing2018-03-20
  5. "Fast and Furious"

Current Employee - Edit

I have been working at Adams Street Publishing full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

If you want to learn quickly, work hard, manage a lot of tasks at once, and go home proud of what you do, this is a great place to work. This is an excellent fit for anyone who is fiercely independent, passionate, and driven. You have the ability to make a difference and share your voice with the community. Of course, that perk comes with a lot of tasks that you'd probably prefer not to do— but hey, this is a... job, not a blog.

Cons

Depending on your personality, this place might not be the best fit. The high turnover rate makes this evident. If you aren't flexible, comfortable in your ability to improvise, and hate making quick decisions, this environment might be difficult. Need a lot of positive reinforcement? Call your parents. You won't find it here (at least very often) unless you are self-motivated and take pride in your own work.

Advice to Management

Compliment your employees more often in the middle of the month, not just when the publications have gone to print. The positive reinforcement might make a difference.

Adams Street Publishing2018-03-20

"RUN. FAR. AWAY."

I worked at Adams Street Publishing full-time

Pros

Free tickets to events. Free food on staff meeting days (I'd rather be paid more and be able to buy my own food).

Cons

If you enjoy being yelled at constantly for the most ridiculous things then this is the job for you. If you want to be forced to do tasks way beyond your job description for basically minimum wage, apply here. You'll rarely get positive reinforcement - bring your parents to work if you want this. I was never proud of the work I did here because it was always subpar. If you have a good idea don't plan on them using... it because they are fine with being mediocre as long as it looks like they're being edgy. How can you describe the feeling of depression settling on your shoulders the longer you work there? High turn over due to people hating it so much that they quit, and also because the owners don't care about giving feedback - they prefer to replace employees altogether. As long as they're getting ad money they don't care about anything else. *** Just in case you're really that dense - please go read the "good" reviews. They're all left by the Jacobs family or employees that they've asked to write them.***

Advice to Management

Stop yelling at your employees and treating them like garbage. This is why talented people continue to leave you. Also, stop lying about everything.

Adams Street Publishing2018-04-03

"Horrible place to work. Low pay and high turnover."

I worked at Adams Street Publishing full-time for more than a year

Pros

Absolutely nothing would be a pro about this place! I will stress nothing is a pro about this place! Run away!

Cons

Unorganized, dirty, unprofessional and micromanaging owners. Let people do their jobs and quit force-feeding them things that have absolutely no reference to how they do a job! Always last minute and expect reps to sell. The co-publisher is an attorney and will sue an advertiser if they don’t pay within a short window. They have made a lot of people in this town upset. Advertisers and former and current employees.

Advice to Management

Time to sell and let another professional media company take over.

Adams Street Publishing2018-03-17

"Great job if you aren't a whiner."

Former Employee - Writer/Editor in Toledo, OH

I worked at Adams Street Publishing full-time for more than a year

Pros

I didn't read any of these other reviews until after I was already employed at Adams St. Publishing Co., so I didn't have expectations headed in. I come from a culture of working hard, getting the job done and attempting to always go beyond what is expected of me. If you have that mentality, you will do great here and enjoy the work you do. Is it a grind? Absolutely. This company produces five monthly newspapers and... one biweekly (the Toledo City Paper). You'll probably end up doing work for all of them. So what? It's a job, you're supposed to work at it. People complain about low pay, but they forget the intangibles, which include access to free shows, concerts, food and events, as well as the opportunity to meet with some really fascinating individuals, both on the local and national scene. So yes, if you're here for MONEY alone, you're in the wrong place. Go become a stockbroker. This job is for people who are excited to contribute to the culture of a city and be a tastemaker. Even if it's intended to be a stepping stone for you, it's an invaluable one that can provide you with a wealth of contacts and opportunities. I think the stuff that caught me by surprise the most when I discovered this site was the animus against the owners. They've never been unpleasant or unreachable to me in the slightest. Have I heard people raise their voices? Absolutely. We have hard deadlines that, when missed, cost money in a business with thin margins. If you do your work, make your deadlines and appreciate dry, acerbic wit, you'll be great. I can't speak to the sales side of things so much, but being on the creative side, I enjoyed my time here, met some tremendous people and learned a lot about being concise with my words (which I clearly didn't practice too much here). The bottom line: If you think this is some hippie enclave where everyone hangs out, feet up on the desk while they eat cereal and talk movies, it isn't that kind of gig. This is the place you go to refine your writing (you will be edited, it's a fact of life), work hard and learn. Don't get me wrong, you'll have fun too, but this isn't a wading pool. Jump into the deep end and get swimming. If you're good enough, you'll do more than stay afloat— you'll go somewhere.

Cons

They have an eco-minded mentality, so sometimes it can be hard to find wasteful items like paper plates or plastic utensils when they bring in free lunch before meetings (or sometimes just because). There's metal flatware that can be used, but if you're a germaphobe, a good tip is to keep your own flatware/coffee mug on hand, so this is a non-issue. Overtime is frowned upon because it costs $$$, so figure out... how to work around your time constraints. Print days are on Fridays, so if you think you're going to be late that day (latest I ever stayed at one was 7:30pm, I think), go home a couple hours early on Thursday. It's not rocket science. The building leaks sometimes when it rains hard— mostly in the men's room. You can be fussy about this, but I always was amused by it. It lends a sort of bohemian vibe to everything that is sort of appropriate. The most obnoxious part of the job, really? Visitors have to push an intercom-style button to get in the building (staff all have their own keys). Since the offices are on the second floor, it makes this loud doorbell-style ring on all the phones for a few moments. There's got to be a better fix for that thing.

Adams Street Publishing2017-09-20

"Poor"

Former Employee - Account Executive in Toledo, OH

I worked at Adams Street Publishing full-time for less than a year

Pros

Flexible schedule and good location

Cons

Poor management, lack of leadership, high turnover, and unprofessional work environment.

Adams Street Publishing2017-04-11

"Still have bad dreams about it"

Sales in Ann Arbor, MI

I worked at Adams Street Publishing for more than a year

Pros

none that I can think of

Cons

If you like micromanagement, a volatile work environment, being promised commissions that you'll never be paid and watching people get berated and mentally abused---this is the place for you!

Advice to Management

Hire a human resources manager and do what they say.

Adams Street Publishing2017-01-25