Adams Thermal Systems Reviews | Glassdoor

Mike Adams

1. "Good employer"

Current Employee - Operations Associate in Canton, SD
    Current Employee - Operations Associate in Canton, SD

I have been working at Adams Thermal Systems full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good pay and benefits
    South Dakota is a good place to work and live
    Fellow workers are friendly and family

Cons

Company experienced reductions due to downturn

Advice to Management

Keep growing the company and taking care of your people. The market will turn around

2. "Company making the right steps"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Canton, SD
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Canton, SD

I have been working at Adams Thermal Systems full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

After a serious recession, company is making the right steps to rebuild - Increasing wages and hiring again

Cons

With the hiring, lots of new people to train that have not been in manufacturing before

Advice to Management

Screen the new folks carefully and continue to grow the sales

3. "Don't work there"

Former Employee - Assembly Technician in Canton, SD
    Former Employee - Assembly Technician in Canton, SD

I worked at Adams Thermal Systems full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

pay is OK, hours are good

Cons

bad working environment.. exposed to chemicals all the time

"Terrible"

Former Employee - Applications Engineer in Canton, SD
    Former Employee - Applications Engineer in Canton, SD

I worked at Adams Thermal Systems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Not much for pros here. I hours to work are flexible

Cons

Where to start. Forced used of vacation days to save the company money. Stopped matching 401K. Very high turnover

Advice to Management

Replace all your high level managers and start investing in your employees and not overseas to support your god complex.

6. "Manager"

Former Employee - Manager in Canton, SD
    Former Employee - Manager in Canton, SD

I worked at Adams Thermal Systems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

At that time the business was growing very fast. Could not keep up with demand so many capital projects to work on.

Cons

Would not pull the trigger on all of the needed project to raise capacity to meet demand. Shortcuts were taken and quality suffered.

Advice to Management

Safety and quality are the first 2 goals that need to be met prior to increasing production. Capacity planning is must do for growing businesses.

7. "good job"

Current Employee - Production Supervisor in Canton, SD
    Current Employee - Production Supervisor in Canton, SD

I have been working at Adams Thermal Systems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Career Development - There are a lot of opportunities for career development. ATS provides educational reimbursement, scholarships and internship programs
    Skill Development – opportunities for moving around and learn different skills
    Compensations - The pay and benefits are competitive.
    Healthy living – provides state of the art gym for free and motivates employees to lead an active and healthy life style.
    Philanthropic works
    Employee hardship assistance – the company gives and also motivates coworkers and…

Cons

no cons at the moment

Advice to Management

good work keep it up

"Dangerous for your health"

Former Employee - Evaporator Core Builder/Clamper in Canton, SD
    Former Employee - Evaporator Core Builder/Clamper in Canton, SD

I worked at Adams Thermal Systems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Coworkers were nice, I liked my floor supervisors.I liked that I could support childern from another country with food for the hungry with my paycheck and adams would meet half of it. You do make a lot of money. I appreciated the experience I gained there.

Cons

Corporate management team doesnt seem to care about well being of floor level workers. Floor management team I enjoyed, but we all did not like higher ups. We worked in horrible hot sweltering temperatures up to 119 degrees with ovens at our backs so it could get higher. In my area, Evaporation core building there was this white aluminum dust in the air and many people suffered from it including me. I signed up to work 40 hours 4 days a weeks, but turned into a nightmare after 2 months when they upped our hours and we would work 7 days a week, once 3-4 weeks in a row. My team was the fastest core building team on 2nd shift, but numbers got lower bc they didnt give us a day off to rest resulting in 66 hours or more avg a week.It was ridiculous. My cousin was a team lead and one week I know for sure he worked over 79 hours. He would have shouting matches with higher ups bc they put unrealistic demands on the people and as a good leader he wanted to stand up for his team. Im surprised they didnt fire him but it goes to show they are in dire need of good help. The human body can only take so much. I had wanted to stay years with this company but my doctor told me I should quit bc my lungs were being affected. I would have raspy breathing and also have horrible bleeding noses. I was in my early twenties by the way not old by any means. I vomited a couple of times in this harsh environment. I became one of the best core builders and clampers despite the conditions but I was stubborn and I like to be the best at my job. I was disappointed I had to leave my job bc things just keep getting worst as they put in a second iven right next to us. My supervisor had this temp laser gun where he could shine at certain areas and some spots reached up to 120 degrees in our work area stations. We are supposed to get extra breaks when temps are this super bad but the office judges it by walking in their air conditioned area and the temps outside the facility. Seriously that sucked. They should judge it by the manufacturing floor like the areas my supervisor shines his light in. This company is rated one of the most dangerous to work for and I agree completely. After I left my health got better within one month. Previous people who quit also reported the same. There is no life when you work there, my personal life was not even there. There was only sleep, work, eat with the ten-12 hour 7 days a week they gave us. Other areas of the plant are a bit better, but still. I was impressed with my co workers who work so hard but with the hours upped and harsher eniviroment our group morale truly fell. I hope and pray that this company soon changes there ways simply because the employees there do need their jobs, but cant speak up for themselves. I researched South dakota laws and there was hardly any thing there to protect us from such hours and treatments.

Advice to Management

Maybe put in a built in vacuum or something to suck up dangerous dust.. the health of workers deteriorate as you expect them to wear long sleeves and masks in 110 degree weather. listen to lower level workers more, they work like slaves for you in terrible temps. Give workers the rest they need so they can be rejuvenated to work. Put in more cooling fan for evap workers and oven workers, not just for coolness but for breathing room. This company Ceo claims to be Christian so take please care of the poor hardworking humans in your plant, not just people in other countries.

"Look somewhere else for a job PLEASE. If you don't, you will regret it 100%. I guarantee it."

Former Employee - Salaried in Canton, SD
    Former Employee - Salaried in Canton, SD

I worked at Adams Thermal Systems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good pay for area and the people there are great. You get to know them very well if you are in the front office because at least 3-4 people will be sitting within 8 feet of you. Great company for extroverts who like waiting for the ax to drop

Cons

Most of these are due simply to an extremely bad productivity and high scrap rate, which I would blame on apathy. After a year or so, even hard workers lose hope and just go with the downward flow. 401k matching is deemed optional by management and hasn't occurred for 3? years. Bonuses also haven't happened as far as I know on a broad scale. There is now A/C in the oven area, which was a large expense, but beyond that, you'd think the owner would prefer to build a school in Africa rather than take care of responsibilities to his own employees. Multiple-day shut-downs are announced very late and salaried people often end up using most of their PTO to cover them. If you have no PTO left, the days are unpaid. Kind of hard to accumulate PTO as a new employee if 8-10 days per year of it is used for shut-downs. The office area is very loud and very open. Only managers get an office and only a handful have something close to a cubicle. Some entire departments are simply gone and others are expected to "diversify" their workload to accommodate.

Advice to Management

To management: Your hands are tied, half your staff is gone, you don't have what you need to turn things around, and your budget proposal just got laughed at. There are lots of great opportunities out there, so talk to a good recruiter and move on. To the owner: keep you non-profit tidings to yourself at company meetings and instead focus on breathing new life into your employees and company. It will collapse soon if you don't.

"Great co-workers horrible company! Stay far away"

Former Employee - Production Supervisor in Canton, SD
    Former Employee - Production Supervisor in Canton, SD

I worked at Adams Thermal Systems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good pay, friendly co-workers, decent pay

Cons

Never no when your going to loose your job. HE continues to hire incompanitant staff.

Advice to Management

There's to many managers not enough employees.

"Sisyphus and the Boulder - Push it up one side of a hill, it rolls down the other, push it up the other side..."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Canton, SD
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Canton, SD

I worked at Adams Thermal Systems full-time

Pros

Pays relatively well
    You learn a lot about the company's customers
    Easy to earn additional PTO with volunteering
    Many talented individuals in non-management positions

Cons

-The poor culture at ATS is 100% a failure of management. Unfortunately a downside of companies with a sole owner is that all decisions reflect in one way or another on that owner, so a poor choice in leadership at the executive level is rarely rectified because it would mean losing face. ATS is no exception.

-The company refuses to learn from its mistakes because it doesn't admit making them. If the company had a motto, it would be "Not my fault!"; management acts as if the company has just been a victim of circumstance instead of poorly managed

-Poor OSHA record

-Extremely high turnover at all levels so instability is the result

-New hires are still promised a 10% bonus annually, paid quarterly. This hasn't been paid out in over 2 years.

Advice to Management

Stop making grand pronouncements about changes and just start making them. Let the hired talent run the place as you hired them to do. Stop making decisions and changes just for the sake of justifying your existence. Focus on rebuilding your relationships with long time customers. Keep your promises!