Adaptive Biotechnologies Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated March 16, 2019

4.4
Chad Robins

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Great company culture"

I have been working at Adaptive Biotechnologies full-time

Pros

Really appreciate the way leadership values great company culture. Seems like everyone is really thoughtful around the way the organization is growing.

Cons

Nothing major comes to mind. Parking can be a challenge but Adaptive offers a transportation stipend for taking public transit.

"High drama, lack of oversight for middle management"

Former Employee - Bioinformatics Scientist in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Bioinformatics Scientist in Seattle, WA

I worked at Adaptive Biotechnologies full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The technology is the core strength

Cons

It is unfortunate that the solid technology is over-shadowed by the abismal middle management, high-drama behind-your-back snack-talking environment, and culture of unsupportive and belittling management.

Advice to Management

Stop hiring your friends, hire those with the actual skills needed by the company. Get rid of middle management that brings in their friends who don’t have the skills for the job and then makes the skilled employees compensate.

3. "High-growth and tons of opportunity"

Current Employee - Senior Marketing Manager in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Marketing Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Adaptive Biotechnologies full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

1. This is some of the most exciting and inspirational science to be working with. The things Adaptive is building are truly transformative.
    2. The senior leaders are very accessible, friendly, and supportive
    3. Coworkers enjoy each other and it is not unusual for them to go from work to happy hour or do other things together on weekends.
    4. There is a "get it done" mentality rather than a bureacratic mentality, so if you want to get exposure to something or work on something, all you have to do is roll up your sleeves and do it. You can learn a ton about different projects and own your own, and everyone supports that.
    5. The company supports internal growth. Many of my colleagues have been promoted inside the firm during their tenure. Self-starters are recognized and rewarded.

Cons

1. You have to set boundaries, or else you'll work nights and weekends.

"It's like the early days of Genentech..."

Current Employee - Diagnostic Key Account Manager in Oklahoma City, OK
    Current Employee - Diagnostic Key Account Manager in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at Adaptive Biotechnologies full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Smart, sharp, "casually intensive" environment to work in. We get to work with exciting cutting edge technology. Personalized Medicine.... the stuff that was just a dream 10 years ago. Start up environment with excellent pipeline and new collaborations with big players - Microsoft, Amgen, Janssen and now Genentech. They just get it. If you want to work for a science driven company, this is it. If you want to be recognized for doing a great job, this is it. This place is exhilarating, y'all!

Cons

Start up environment. Not everything is mapped out of you. If you are used to being told what to do and how to do it, this is definitely not the place for you. If you commonly say things like, "I don't know, that's not my job." or "But that's the way we've always done it" this is not the place for you.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing. Let's keep hiring great people with diverse backgrounds and experiences. Keep making those amazing partnerships. Keep the culture.

5. "Adaptive is the place for me!"

I have been working at Adaptive Biotechnologies full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Exciting company that is highly fast-paced and going through enormous growth.
    There is opportunity to explore different careers within the company.
    Challenging work that allows you to show your leadership and problem solving skills.
    Allows you to be a part of a team and work together.

Cons

A fast-paced environment is not for everyone and it can be stressful. I think that is expected with a start-up though.

6. "Exciting Company"

I have been working at Adaptive Biotechnologies full-time

Pros

Adaptive is a fast paced company that is constantly growing and changing. Though, at times this can be stressful, it is an exciting place to work that provides many opportunities to hone and grow your skills.

Cons

It can be stressful to work in an environment that is always in flux.

"Rewarding Company, Personally Challenging"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Adaptive Biotechnologies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Executives are very open about plans and have an open door policy.
    -Ability to take your job and shape it the way you want to (creation of new policies/procedures). Company is very open to feedback and changing how things are done.
    -Flexible work schedule when things come up
    -Friendly employees
    -Office perks (snacks, gym, showers, etc.)
    -Good benefits (lack of 401K match, however)
    -I feel like I can be very open with my manager about my role and give feedback

Cons

-Often you are juggling many responsibility outside the scope of your job, but this is something that is stressed in the interviews. You need to be flexible and pick up things that you may not feel should be your responsibility. Once many of these types of projects build up, it can be overwhelming to keep up with your normal job responsibilities.
    -Could be a pro or a con depending on your personality: If you are coming into a newer team or role, there may be very few procedures in place when you come in. You may have to build these processes out, which can be daunting if not up for the challenge.

Advice to Management

-Since we have so many different groups working on vastly different projects, I often would like to learn more about what others are doing outside of the quarterly meetings, to have time to ask questions and network with other groups outside of mine.
    -401K match

8. "Great Company!"

I have been working at Adaptive Biotechnologies full-time

Pros

Great work environment, innovative work, great opportunities for growth.

Cons

Difficult to manage the varied priorities.

9. "Great Culture"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Adaptive Biotechnologies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The company culture makes all the difference, awesome colleagues. Great great perks too, like a company account to use for kayaking on the lake.

Cons

It's a busy start-up culture that may not be for everyone.

Advice to Management

Looking forward to more business updates at the next All Hands!

"Like being in high school..."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Adaptive Biotechnologies full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It's a nice area to work, feels very much like a tech startup type (free food, snacks, coffee, company-wide functions, etc), and some of the people are very nice

Cons

Cliques and politics:
    I've worked in many biotech companies over the years and this is by far the worst in terms of people forming cliques and playing politics. I've seen very good people get pushed out of the company just because they dared to disagree with the "in-crowd". It's made the company very closed-in and stifled innovation because nearly all major decisions are based on limited viewpoints.

Much of this seems to be because a large number of middle management are all extremely young, directly out of grad school, very self-confident, and with no experience in the private sector before Adaptive. Overall, it's a very difficult environment to work in due to the high amount of gossip, behind-the-back chatter, and immaturity.

Limited growth:
    Aside from that, the salaries are very low compared to most other biotech in the area and there's limited room for career growth. For the higher positions, either you are hired into the position or you have been with the company since near the beginning. Then you can become a director. They have directors of everything now, which causes a problem in itself because every director thinks they are the authority over every other director, resulting in a lot of conflict.

Where's the science?
    Also, for a biotech company, there are surprisingly few actual scientists, and for a company based around the immune system, it seems extremely odd that the number of people with experience in that field are probably in the single digits. Adaptive is more of a tech company playing science than a scientific company incorporating tech. Even the CEO has no background in science...

Job security:
    One of the most shocking occurrences was when the entire Seattle office got called to a meeting just to watch the south San Francisco office get fired in front of us via teleconference. It was a very surreal experience and has constantly made me worry about my job security, although I would probably be better off somewhere else anyways...

Advice to Management

So much of the company relies on the very young middle management. I think the company would be in a much better position if people with actual experience took a stronger lead in running the company. Right now, too much weight is put on people with too little experience.

Adaptive Biotechnologies Response

Apr 20, 2018 – President, Chief Executive Officer & Co-Founder

I appreciate you sharing your view, though I’m obviously disappointed with your assessment. At Adaptive, we have a strong bias to promoting from within our organization and providing career pathing... More