Adaptive Biotechnologies Reviews | Glassdoor

Chad Robins

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Great Company!"

I have been working at Adaptive Biotechnologies full-time

Pros

Great work environment, innovative work, great opportunities for growth.

Cons

Difficult to manage the varied priorities.

"Rewarding Company, Personally Challenging"

I have been working at Adaptive Biotechnologies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Executives are very open about plans and have an open door policy.
    -Ability to take your job and shape it the way you want to (creation of new policies/procedures). Company is very open to feedback and changing how things are done.
    -Flexible work schedule when things come up
    -Friendly employees
    -Office perks (snacks, gym, showers, etc.)
    -Good benefits (lack of 401K match, however)
    -I feel like I can be very open with my manager about my role and give feedback

Cons

-Often you are juggling many responsibility outside the scope of your job, but this is something that is stressed in the interviews. You need to be flexible and pick up things that you may not feel should be your responsibility. Once many of these types of projects build up, it can be overwhelming to keep up with your normal job responsibilities.
    -Could be a pro or a con depending on your personality: If you are coming into a newer team or role, there may be very few procedures in place when you come in. You may have to build these processes out, which can be daunting if not up for the challenge.

Advice to Management

-Since we have so many different groups working on vastly different projects, I often would like to learn more about what others are doing outside of the quarterly meetings, to have time to ask questions and network with other groups outside of mine.
    -401K match

3. "Great Culture"

I have been working at Adaptive Biotechnologies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The company culture makes all the difference, awesome colleagues. Great great perks too, like a company account to use for kayaking on the lake.

Cons

It's a busy start-up culture that may not be for everyone.

Advice to Management

Looking forward to more business updates at the next All Hands!

4. "Anonymous"

I have been working at Adaptive Biotechnologies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good people work here and the general atmosphere is okay

Cons

Everyone is so busy and some are overworked

"Like being in high school..."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Adaptive Biotechnologies full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It's a nice area to work, feels very much like a tech startup type (free food, snacks, coffee, company-wide functions, etc), and some of the people are very nice

Cons

Cliques and politics:
    I've worked in many biotech companies over the years and this is by far the worst in terms of people forming cliques and playing politics. I've seen very good people get pushed out of the company just because they dared to disagree with the "in-crowd". It's made the company very closed-in and stifled innovation because nearly all major decisions are based on limited viewpoints.

Much of this seems to be because a large number of middle management are all extremely young, directly out of grad school, very self-confident, and with no experience in the private sector before Adaptive. Overall, it's a very difficult environment to work in due to the high amount of gossip, behind-the-back chatter, and immaturity.

Limited growth:
    Aside from that, the salaries are very low compared to most other biotech in the area and there's limited room for career growth. For the higher positions, either you are hired into the position or you have been with the company since near the beginning. Then you can become a director. They have directors of everything now, which causes a problem in itself because every director thinks they are the authority over every other director, resulting in a lot of conflict.

Where's the science?
    Also, for a biotech company, there are surprisingly few actual scientists, and for a company based around the immune system, it seems extremely odd that the number of people with experience in that field are probably in the single digits. Adaptive is more of a tech company playing science than a scientific company incorporating tech. Even the CEO has no background in science...

Job security:
    One of the most shocking occurrences was when the entire Seattle office got called to a meeting just to watch the south San Francisco office get fired in front of us via teleconference. It was a very surreal experience and has constantly made me worry about my job security, although I would probably be better off somewhere else anyways...

Advice to Management

So much of the company relies on the very young middle management. I think the company would be in a much better position if people with actual experience took a stronger lead in running the company. Right now, too much weight is put on people with too little experience.

Adaptive Biotechnologies Response

Apr 20, 2018 – President, Chief Executive Officer & Co-Founder

I appreciate you sharing your view, though I’m obviously disappointed with your assessment. At Adaptive, we have a strong bias to promoting from within our organization and providing career pathing... More

"Not bad for a start-up"

I worked at Adaptive Biotechnologies full-time

Pros

Smart and interesting people who care about their work.

Cons

Inconsistent strategy and direction, chasing too many things at one time with limited resources.

"A great company with great people"

I worked at Adaptive Biotechnologies full-time

Pros

Interesting work and good people to work with.

Cons

The salary seems a bit lower than what I expected

"Fun, collaborative environment"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Adaptive Biotechnologies full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Adaptive has fast-paced and interesting software development projects, with very talented developers working collaboratively with other teams across the company to help make Adaptive's vision happen.

Leveraging cloud services and various automation solutions, we're always working on optimizing compute resources, and coming up with ways to continually improve operations.

Every single person I work with here believes in what Adaptive is doing and is excited about their role in ultimately making a difference in people's lives through Adaptive's technologies.

I've never worked anywhere like this, where everyone in the company feels like they are all part of the same team, almost to the point of feeling like it's family.

Cons

None that aren't common elsewhere -- the pace is very fast and there is a lot to be done, so there are often shifts in projects as the business makes adjustments to their priorities.

Advice to Management

Don't lose sight of the collaborative nature of Adaptive, it's one of it's biggest strengths.

9. "Incredible place to work!!"

Former Employee - Senior IT Infrastructure Manager in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Senior IT Infrastructure Manager in Seattle, WA

I worked at Adaptive Biotechnologies (Less than a year)

Pros

I worked for Adaptive Biotechnologies in the IT department, company was awesome (and probably still is).. Unfortunately had to move due to family events but I still love the company and would immediately go back if possible.

Cons

The vision in IT is big and need more resources.

Advice to Management

Continue to trust your employees.

"Great company, excellent culture."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Adaptive Biotechnologies full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great work environment doing work to help save lives. Awesome co-workers who are genuinely happy to be here. Kudos to management for promoting such a positive culture!

Cons

Still growing and maturing as a company-- some processes are not yet refined, but that's really no surprise. Not the type of place for someone who wants to get lost among the crowd.

Advice to Management

This is one of the best places I've ever worked. Keep hiring the right people, treat us well, and the magic will continue. It's been a long time since I've been able to look forward to Mondays...