Adaptive Financial Consulting Reviews

Updated Jul 1, 2020

4.9
Adaptive Financial Consulting Co-Founder and CEO   Matt Barrett (no image)
Matt Barrett
  1. "Great company with forward thinking tech professionals"

5.0

I have been working at Adaptive Financial Consulting full-time for more than a year

Pros

The chance to be yourself and grow with the firm Very collaborative team The projects are very cutting edge with the newest tech out there

Cons

none at this time, keep up the good work

April 3, 2019Head of HR

Wonderful reviews like this really make my day (and I know that the directors read every single one and feel the same way). We're thrilled that you're having a great experience at Adaptive and as per another recent review, we're by no means complacent and are rolling out a few improvements over the coming year to keep this a great place to work. We're always interested to receive your suggestions, so never hesitate to contact me at: marie@weareadaptive.com.

2. "Pretty Awesome"

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in London, England

I have been working at Adaptive Financial Consulting full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Available and interested leadership Good work/life balance Interesting work and plenty of support Something that has really stood out for me during Covid, is how transparent the Adaptive leadership has been. Sure, they've let a few contractors go and have had a few tough times but they've always been upfront about everything going on. There seems to be a concerted effort to keep staff feeling united and informed; there's no smoke and mirrors, no pretence that the company has been unaffected and this has had a real impact on how I feel about working here. You really see the true colours of a company during the bad times, right? In that case, I'm definitely going to stick around because they've shown me that they lead well, are smart and give a damn about their team.

Cons

Some work definitely needs to be done on supporting the structure of the company as it scales but they are aware of that and HR and leadership are on the case.

Continue reading
  3. "A friendly consultancy, with most of the usual problems!"

2.0
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in London, England

I have been working at Adaptive Financial Consulting full-time

Pros

Compared to some consultancies I have worked for Adaptive is better than some and weaker than others. The London office is in a great spot.... when we are able to work there, with the usual freebies that are at all technology firms these days such as food and drinks.

Cons

I would have chosen 2.5 for the score, as it's not a horrible experience... It is just this is the same old business model of consulting, with less real opportunity and growth compared to the top flight firms. Lots of the team members have historic relationships and this works if you are part of the group but does not work for new guys with differing opinions and experiences. These are tough times for the people reselling business and there is genuine concern whether the value proposition is still meaningful considering the strong likelihood of adjustment in the primary industry we serve - Finance. With all consultancies it's the same-old model of tough times arriving through the door, and the consultants exited out the window. We shall see what happens if banks continue to retract. All this aside, the general experience is just 'ok'. Being an engineer here is just like contracting, without the administrative tax head-ache. The things we build are commonly rudimentary, dull banking stuff (obviously) with the ground-hog-day technologies. In summary, this is a step up for some, it just does not compare to a real consultancy with established horizontal opportunities.

Continue reading

"Clique-ie, arrogant and frictional."

2.0
    Current Employee - Developer in London, England

Pros

There are some decent technology people at Adaptive and there's a message of good intent to enable work-life balance, diversity and well-being.

Cons

Reading the other reviews on Glassdoor, it is interesting that the most realistic has the most "helpful" votes, whilst being the only negative review. Adaptive builds products one way, which cannot be challenged. Many team members who have worked for Adaptive for some time have a passive-aggressive and guarded nature, who rarely listen to opinions. Back-biting and snide are sadly more common that the marketing of autonomy and inclusivity suggest and these ultimately limit both the scope of the firms capability, and the happiness of anyone seeking a career at Adaptive. Essentially, it's a case of following the line, hero selection, and taking the side with the leadership's favourites. I can imagine the dream of the four guys, extending their friendship to a bigger group, sounded like a good idea at the time, but they seem to lack true understanding of what a company needs to scale, without such toxicity. I'm not alone in this belief and it's surprising there are not more negative reviews, to which I can only imagine are being deleted by the pro-active HR team. Adaptive feels painful at it's current size, and I can imagine this will become exponentially worse as it grows unless something is done.

June 24, 2020Chief Talent Officer

Thanks for taking the time to write your review. Whilst we're truly saddened by this review, we have to reflect on it and consider any necessary change to continue with our aim of keeping Adaptive a brilliant place to work. I and the directors are genuinely gutted to read the above and I wish there was a way for me to know who you are so that we could sit down and walk through this and we could try to make whatever changes are needed to change this experience/perception. I do question your point about us building products one way and that is not to be challenged - the very reason that we have a relatively flat hierarchy is so that people feel comfortable speaking up and challenging the status quo. In fact, a previous review mentions people coming up with odd ideas, which is something we encourage as we work towards the right approach for the project. To your point about 'back-biting' and 'snide', this is not what Adaptive is about, in fact, it's the antithesis of our company's values and the behaviour exemplified by our leaders. Indeed, rather than bringing in new senior-level people, we generally aim to grow our colleagues into senior roles and these colleagues are mentored and coached by our leaders. Our culture is hugely important to us and so having this mentoring/coaching from our founders, in fact, helps to ensure it doesn't get diluted. We are conscious of the pain points of a scaling company (and are not the first company to experience this for sure!) and so, as you may be aware, are working on a programme to address that. I hope that you see that we recognise that the path of a growing company is rarely smooth and take appropriate action, including this programme and working with an experienced and talented board of non-exec directors. In fact, our executive team have coaches/mentors themselves to support their own development and their leadership of our growing company. Finally, I am torn between taking umbrage and a compliment with your comment about the HR team; yes, we are proactive (that's the bit I'm going to take as a compliment) but no, we do not seek to delete negative reviews - Glassdoor does not allow that unless the review is evidently fake or reveals confidential company information. We keep a close eye on Glassdoor for sure and as mentioned in previous responses, we read and reflect on every single one. Thanks again for taking the time to post your review - if you do still work for the company and would like to chat about your experience, it would be a genuine pleasure to have that chat with you. Marie Downes, Chief Talent Officer

"A good place to work"

Current Employee - Director

I have been working at Adaptive Financial Consulting full-time

Pros

A good place to work! Friendly good technical people with good projects.

Cons

Nothing I currently think of

"Great colleagues, awesome culture and a lot of autonomy"

4.0
    Former Employee - Software Developer in Montreal, QC

I worked at Adaptive Financial Consulting full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I've worked at Adaptive for more than 3 years. During my time, I've been put on different projects and I have had the chance to grow and learn a lot. My colleagues were awesome. Not only was the technical level very high, but people were nice and happy to help (when not in a crunch, obviously). I've also been given a lot of autonomy on my projects. The directors were giving me the tools I needed to perform my job and were there if ever I needed help, but they were never micro-managing me. This allowed me to learn a lot and gave me a feeling of being in control of my project along with my colleagues. I have absolutely enjoyed my time at Adaptive and it is a great company to work at.

Cons

I see a few cons to Adaptive and I hope it gets better in the future. The first probably has to do with the nature of the work being done at Adaptive. It's a consultancy company. This means you have to be cut out for this kind of work. I feel the great deal of autonomy I experienced sometimes worked against me in some situations where I would have liked Adaptive to intervene, moments like when the client tries to impose a waterfall methodology or has other unreasonable requests. I also felt I was left on some projects for too long. This can be hard to balance, but after a project has clearly fallen into maintenance mode, I would have liked to be transferred on another project sooner. The projects I got to work on were not as interesting as I was promised when I was hired. I would not say Adaptive blatantly lied to me, but I was not given the chance to really work on a real-time system, which is the specialty of Adaptive. I worked on some projects where there were technical challenges of other kinds, and that was fine, but my last project was a real snooze fest.

July 1, 2020Chief Talent Officer

Hello and thank you very much for your review - we genuinely value every single one. I'm glad that you had good professional growth with us and that your experiences with colleagues were awesome - we think that they're pretty terrific too! I'm delighted to read your views on our directors too - that's always our aim, to give you enough support that you feel comfortable but not so much that you feel directed. Regarding your comments on some of our projects, we hear you. We are working to get better at rotating our colleagues around projects (should they wish) so that they continue to get the growth, stimulation and satisfaction that they need. I'm sorry that you didn’t get to work on some of our more exciting projects; that's really where better rotation comes in. We always aim to land complex and challenging projects with interesting technology but on a few occasions, that doesn't happen. Our Sales team are doing a brilliant job, even during Covid, to secure the right kinds of projects that give our incredibly capable and driven colleagues the opportunity to continue to grow and use all of their skills. To your point on the Agile coaches and BA's working to train clients, we're actually doing that on some of our projects and have done so in the past but we acknowledge your point that this could be a great thing to do on some projects that aren't running as smoothly as we'd all like. As mentioned in previous reviews, our directors read all of these reviews and take action based on what they see, so I hope that when you are welcomed back for round 2 (seriously, please keep in touch), that you'll see some of the changes that you are looking for. Thanks again for sharing your perspective and experience, it's great to see that overall you were very happy here at Adaptive. Marie Downes - Chief Talent Officer

"Great place to work"

I have been working at Adaptive Financial Consulting full-time

Pros

Very proffessional environment, good culture, helpful people, great directors...almost 2 years here and i didnt find a single thing to complain about

Cons

I guess having an end of year bonus would be nice, but it doesnt look like is going to happen anytime soon

March 3, 2020Chief Talent Officer

'Great directors' - given that our directors read every one of these reviews, I'm pretty sure that you've just made their day :-). We genuinely appreciate your feedback and thank you for taking the time to post it. Glad you've no complaints but do get in touch if you've got any ideas you'd like us to think about. We don't offer bonuses as you've noted here but I hope that you have appreciated/felt the impact of our quarterly salary review process. Thanks again, Marie.

"A great place to grow and do what you love"

5.0

Pros

- Direct communication with the directors and founders - Transparency - Great benefits - Amazing work environment - The HR team is reachable and supportive, it is amazing to have "human" people to talk to and share your concerns with. I'm gladly surprised how much they work to make sure no one feels excluded and how they always try to find a way to solve any problem you may have.

Cons

I can't think of anything now!

January 7, 2020Chief Talent Officer

Thank you so much for this wonderful review (as a member of the HR team, I'm beaming as I type!). We are genuinely thrilled to receive such feedback and thank you for taking the time to post it. Happy New Year to you! - Marie Downes

"Culture"

Current Employee - Developer

I have been working at Adaptive Financial Consulting full-time

Pros

Really nice environment to work at.

Cons

No bad things to say

January 6, 2020Chief Talent Officer

Brief but awesome! Thank you very much for posting this review; it's really very kind of you. We work hard on making Adaptive a brilliant place to work and so I'm delighted to see that it's paying dividends. Marie

"Great place to work"

Current Employee - Senior Web Applications Developer in London, England

Pros

When working from their office: Good atmosphere, smart/friendly colleagues When working from a client's office: You'll still be part of an Adaptive team, as they never (?) shop out individuals.

Cons

When working at a client's office: Atmosphere depends entirely on the client; little engagement with the rest of the company, aside from summer/Christmas parties. Lack of clarity on available career opportunities.

December 19, 2019Chief Talent Officer

You make a couple of really good points in this review and so thank you for taking the time to post it. We work very hard on our culture but of course, when on client site, our culture is less evident. I'm really glad that you have brought up the career aspect as improving that is a core Q1 goal for the HR team. Always feel free to come and chat with me directly about this and any other issues you identify. Marie

Found 17 reviews