Addepar Software Engineer Reviews | Glassdoor

3.1
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Addepar CEO Eric Poirier
Eric Poirier

Pros
  • Flexibly work life balance options (in 6 reviews)

• Loads of perks: everything from free food/laundry/etc (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Sometimes people have to work extra long hours to get something done, since manpower is limited (hopefully this is changing as more people get hired) (in 5 reviews)

• Work/Life balance can be hard to achieve because there's a lot to tackle (in 3 reviews)

1. "Collaborative culture, intelligent people, good vision, and respect for employees makes Addepar a great place to work"

I have been working at Addepar full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Great work/life balance
    -Long term plan is clear and well explained
    -Really bright engineers
    -Interesting challenges
    -Everyone's voice can be heard
    -Pretty good benefits

Cons

-Lots of paradigm shifts for how planning gets done can be confusing to track
    -No shuttle or Caltrain Go-pass for SF commuters

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work. Fewer organizational changes is always a plus; stability is good. Don't over fix what isn't broken.

Apr 7, 2017 – VP, People

Thanks for the great review and feedback on what we can do better.

2. "Challenging Workplace"

I have been working at Addepar full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The company attracts top talent, compensates fairly and has awesome growth opportunities ahead of it. The work is also meaningful. Addepar is one of the few companies that can draw a line from the intersection of tech and finance to very meaningful impact.

Cons

Self-management and the ability to deal with hard tradeoffs is a constant requirement at the time of writing. This makes both growing when you have less experience and focusing at any level difficult. And it brings a certain amount of stress to the job. Given the growth pace, there's a fairly hard road ahead and that means it isn't a place for everyone. It can be exhausting.

Advice to Management

Be extremely selective and picky about how the team grows. Make sure you have the right group to do what Addepar needs to do. Even though it is hard to slow down and assess fit when you're growing this rapidly, having the right people on the bus is critically important. With that, as we're growing, keep on every individual to steer away from complacency. Mandate that everyone on board is growing together.

"Software Engineer"

I have been working at Addepar full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Decent Pay
    Good Benefits
    Big branded finance partners

Cons

One of the overhyped products with directionless product management team and founders.

Apr 17, 2017 – VP, People

Thanks for the review. It sounds like you are very unhappy with the product and our company direction. Have you spoken to your manager about this or Head of Product? I suggest you share your concerns ... More

"great internship experience"

Former Employee - Software Engineer Intern in Mountain View, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer Intern in Mountain View, CA

Pros

- awesome colleagues: always very helpful and friendly
    - great company culture
    - very interesting problems (could work on 3 different projects during my 4 months at the company)

Cons

nothing I am aware of, it was a great experience

Aug 28, 2015 – VP, People

We are thrilled you had an awesome intern experience this summer! We heart our interns!

"A great place to be an engineer, though not perfect"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Addepar full-time

Pros

The customer base is still small enough, when this was written, that there is at most only 1 person between you and a customer, regardless of what part of the company you are in. It is a marked change from my previous employer where the customers existed largely as data points, and they could not give feedback whenever we did things they didn't like.

Most of the time all your co-workers are friendly and helpful, and I've built many good relationships with them, both in personal aspects and in the ability to get work done when everything else fails just by talking the right people when they're not busy.

There is fairly little "work all day and all night" pressure. Many people work long hours and many do not, but those who do almost all choose to do so by themselves, not because "we have to ship these 10 things tonight or a customer will kill us!"

The company is currently hiring very quickly, so if you want them and deserve them, promotions are frequent. But this is also a con; see below.

Cons

Sometimes arguments about business and technical decisions become very heated, because many employees have forceful personalities and strong convictions. When this happens, I often need to remind myself that my co-workers are not attacking me personally, and that they simply want to find the best way to improve our product and revenues. (I could just be lying to myself, though.)

While I am currently happy with the money part of my compensation, the health-care benefits are lacking. The strongest endorsement I could make: At least I have never wondered if I could get better health insurance on California's Obamacare exchange!

The company is currently hiring very quickly, so reorgs are frequent and I sometimes forget who has responsibility for what and who manages whom. Fortunately, informal cross-cutting relationships are easy to build (see pros).

Advice to Management

Keep improving what you are already improving - I have no major complaints.

An example of what I mean:
    Every month, the CEO holds a meeting for all employees in which he gives a talk about the company direction, going over many things that would be considered secret at my previous employers, such as the quarterly business plan review that he holds with his direct reports. Recently, the CEO added to this by holding an unstructured meeting nearly every week in which all employees are invited to ask him any questions about the company. While I have not attended most of these meetings, in the ones I have been in he has never tried to fence or evade questions. Steps like these show management's continuing commitment to trust and transparency - the latter of which is a company value that we advertise heavily on our website to potential customers.

Jul 30, 2015 – VP, People

Thank you for what comes across as a very strong review of the company, especially around transparency in the culture which we care a great deal about. I am concerned however regarding your ... More

"Learned a lot about programming and had a lot of fun"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Addepar full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people are great and I got along with almost everyone. Work was enjoyable and fairly stress free comparing to other places I worked at. I really appreciate the fact that I was given the opportunity to work on various parts of the code base. The way Addepar approaches financial software is very different from the other financial software companies. The concept of the financial graph and transaction effects still impresses me up to this day. As a whole I grew a lot as a programmer and had many fond memories of hanging out at the office late at night, the hackathons, the mid night barbecue, Hearst Castle, the retreats at Lake Tahoe etc...

Cons

Some engineers have a huge ego and lack optimism. It bothers me when people bring negativity to the office. There are already plenty of ups and downs working in a start up and pessimism doesn't solve any problem. Anyways, I think those days are behind us now. The team restructuring and management shift in the last year was a little hard. Hopefully this doesn't happen too often.

Advice to Management

I think Addepar finally found the right management team to lead the company going forward. Eric has done an amazing job growing the company and keeping people happy. I am thoroughly impressed with his decision making and his leadership. Vlad has also done a great job in leading the engineering team and in particularly recruiting. I think he is definitely the right person to lead the engineering efforts.

"A fun place to work"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Addepar full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Overall I enjoyed working at Addepar. The company has good benefits for its employees. Engineers have autonomy to make their own decisions. Tons of smart people work there. Their vision for improving finance is good and their customers seem to be happy.

Cons

Their engineering team isn't the most experienced. This definitely shows in Addepar's codebase. Their main frontend is in Java Swing, which is not the most fun to use. They pay their employees less compared to other tech startups and bigger companies.

Advice to Management

Hire more experienced people and pay market salaries.

"Good place to work"

I have been working at Addepar full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Your voice is heard

Free food, laundry, gym stipend, unlimited vacation, housing stipend

Interesting people and problems

Good stock options

Company is flat - if you work hard, you will be promoted

Cons

Its easy to get sucked in to "reinventing finance" but at the end of the day you will be writing Java + Swing code for rich people to analyze their wealth - hard to stay motivated.

Low salary

Advice to Management

Not much transparency in upper management - you get to hear about big decisions during quarterly hands-up meetings

Many senior people are 22/23 year olds - you have to deal with too much inexperience sometimes.

Joe (CEO) is seen once in a blue moon in the office - which is good because you can sneak into his office and nap on his comfy couches anytime

10. "One of the coolest start ups in Silicon Valley"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Addepar full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You get to work with some of the smartest engineers and tackle one of the most ambitious projects around - fixing the finance industry.
    Also lots of fun start up benefits: free meals, gym stipend, housing stipend, lots of team activities such as go kart racing and robot battling competitions... it's pretty awesome.

Cons

The only downside I can think of is that even though we get 3 free meals every day, the lunches are usually not very tasty.

Advice to Management

Its a start up... there isn't really any upper management.