KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt
Logo

Engaged Employer

Add a Review

Addepar Employee Reviews about "addepar"

Updated Sep 15, 2021

60 Comments

Join the conversation on

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
Cons
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "addepar"

Return to all Reviews
  1. 5.0
    Former Intern, less than 1 year

Great learning experience overall!

Sep 15, 2021 - Anonymous Intern
    Business Outlook

Pros

The people, my team, and the program! Addepar is a late-stage startup, and they have begun to transition to the likes of a larger workforce. Though they are growing quickly, the people & culture makes the workplace an enjoyable and familial environment.

Cons

None that I can think of. Sad that the program had to be remote, but the University Recruiting team made it so fun and engaging nonetheless - I don't feel like I missed out on an in-person experience at all.

Be the first to find this review helpful

VP, Talent Acquisition & People Ops

I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your internship, and I hope you gained practical experiences that will help you when you graduate. The pandemic has certainly impacted our intern program, and I am glad to hear that the team's creative approach delivered a great remote intern experience. I hope you decide to join Addepar after graduation! Best of luck. - Margie / The People Team

2. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

No better time to join than now!

Sep 1, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Addepar is on its most promising path ever. Recent funding, leadership changes, high-quality hires, and strategic business direction have added to an already strong foundation built over the last decade. Most people at Addepar are smart, capable, kind, open-minded, and willing to learn. No company is perfect, but the combination of positives at Addepar is truly hard to find in any single other company. Addepar's approach to work-life balance is among the most generous out there - as long as you take ownership of it and use your flexibility to rest when you need it.

Cons

As with any other company, there are a handful of difficult personalities to work with. The good news is that you can learn to modify your approach with different people to get work done. That's what diversity is all about - different people, different approaches to problems, different experiences at the table - it's all great if we can learn to use it wisely.

4 people found this review helpful

VP, Talent Acquisition & People Ops

Thanks for taking the time to share your Addepar experience. You're are right on all fronts. As we focus on continuing to diversify our workforce, we will need to continuously ensure all voices are heard. Thanks for your feedback and we will continue to challenge ourselves to do and be better! -Margie / The People Team

3. 5.0
    Former Intern, less than 1 year

Amazing place to intern

Sep 10, 2021 - Software Engineer(Internship)
    Business Outlook

Pros

Supportive people, great compensation, awesome perks It also seems that at Addepar, most people really deeply care about their jobs. People help others when they ask, even if it’s not necessarily related to what they’re working on. Also, there is some extremely talented people and great minds at Addepar.

Cons

There isn’t too much flexibility it seems. There are quite a few meetings each week which aren’t really needed, but that seems to be the norm in this industry.

4. 5.0

Passionate Vibrant Culture

Jun 11, 2020 - Senior Director in Mountain View, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

- Addepar Leadership cares about their employees, the company has responded fantastically to the COVID-19 situation - The culture is not perfect (whose is?) but the company actively works to live by the values - I seriously enjoy the people I work with because they are smart, talented, and passionate about their work - Great affinity groups and a culture of giving back

Cons

It is a growing and nimble company and so if you are not comfortable with change, this may not be the place for you.

2 people found this review helpful
  5. 5.0

Great opportunities, great culture

May 15, 2020 - Data Analyst
    Business Outlook

Pros

Addepar has always been very supportive of career growth and also provides some pretty awesome perks. They have also handled the COVID-19 response extremely well and it is clear they genuinely care about the well-being of their employees.

Cons

Sometimes the work/life balance can be difficult but Addepar is usually good about working with you on that stuff if you are vocal about it.

2 people found this review helpful
  6. 5.0
    Former Intern

Great place with many more pros than cons

Feb 18, 2019 - Software Engineer(Internship) in New York, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

Some of the smartest people I've ever met were at Addepar, fast paced work place with a lot of work to go around. Definitely got the sense of accomplishment and pride for the product working there. Everyone in the NYC office from the business side to engineering were incredibly open/welcoming, talented, and great people overall. The company itself is a behemoth in the wealth management software industry and has a great outlook for the future. The perks were among the best, and the compensation was likewise.

Cons

- the amount of work in the backlog was overwhelming

Be the first to find this review helpful
  7. 4.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Great team that loves to build

May 7, 2018 - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Fun and curious coworkers who genuinely enjoy building software and solving problems! Eric and leadership team are wonderful people, and Addepar has an admirable history of internal promotion and helping employees grow their careers.

Cons

When I was there, there was a bit of churn as the company grew from 40 to 100 and beyond. It was a culturally hard transition, and there was a lot of "organization building" that had to be done that felt like it distracted from advancing the product and vision.

8. 2.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

So much potential, such disappointment

Oct 18, 2017 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

- Potential mission is very compelling. Legitimately important problem which has the potential to dramatically improve the financial industry. - Great work life balance; flexible hours and vacation (unless you are on one of the teams with defined coverage times like Support or Recon) - Some legitimately intelligent, passionate, and amazingly capable people

Cons

- Pay is median so we're not competitive in pulling the cream of the crop; company is filled with B-players - Much of middle management is incompetent and throws around processes and buzzwords while saying nothing of substance; many people who've decided they want to retire from Addepar or from industry and get paid to do nothing and go on vacation all the time - Instead of firing mediocre people we reward them if they stick around long enough with promotions and made-up job titles - Tech debt up to our ears, fragile QA, releases break things all the time and have embarrassing impact on clients - Outsourcing tedious brute force workflows to an SLC office instead of implementing tech solutions; throwing bodies at the problem is not innovative, it's what everyone else is finance is already doing

28 people found this review helpful

Sr. Director, HR

We hire talented people with a passion to learn and to change the world. We try to find the areas of strength in each person who works at Addepar and provide them with the right opportunities to set them up for success. We expect everyone at Addepar to act as an owner of our culture. A few values we have are: Demand-Transparency, Build-Together, Take-Action. If you feel that people are not meeting their potential, please speak up, we would like to help people grow and learn how to work better together. On these and other issues you see, we invite you to speak with us so we can learn about your perspective and hear your ideas on how to improve. Thank you for your feedback.

9. 2.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

So much promise, but action must be taken

Jul 8, 2017 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Addepar is a well funded, great product market-fit, company. It is on the precipice of achieving amazing things in the financial industry, and it is quite honestly the only company capable of enacting change on this spectrum of the industry. To say that the opportunity is amazing is the understatement of the century. The CEO and founder are well connected, they have the attention of a lot of banks, and they are strangling the competition.

Cons

The company holds to 5 core principles, 4 of which it fails drastically: - Transparency - Letting the Best Idea Win - Solving Problems that Matter - Building Together - Bias for Action Transparency: Letting the Best Idea Win: The company's politics and hierarchy are stifling what is otherwise an amazing opportunity. For a sub 300 person company, there is an astonishing amount of middle management. Red flags such as managers with single reports are aplenty across the entire organization. This results in a lot of situations of "highest paid person's opinion", where ideas are indeed heard under the guise of a meritocracy, but are not funded, or if good, are promptly stolen by a manager. There have been several such instances of this. Letting the Best Idea Win: There are hackathons at Addepar. There are brainstorms at Addepar. There is even a lot of after-hours idea sharing at Addepar. What there isn't is a meritocracy of ideas. Addepar pays lip service to the ideal of letting the best idea win, but unfortunately, lets politics and office hierarchy stifle the amazingly talented, or the brave risk-takers. Instead of encouraging others to tackle problems with vigor and innovation, we end up playing it safe and stomping out opportunity for change. It's no wonder this company has seen an exodus of talent. Solve Problems That Matter: Addepar faces a lot of problems to solve. This is why it is a fascinating place to work. Finance is ripe for the fixing, and the company might just have the talent and opportunity to pull it off. Instead, a blind adherence to hubris often times lead to Addepar teams solving the wrong problems. Instead of tackling a huge, glaringly unscalable problem in our services organizations, Addepar instead overhires, and creates ill-conceived models to appease leadership. Instead of investing in portions of the product that are truly revolutionary, and lapping the competition, the company instead spends cycles on "Fascinating" engineering challenges, or an ill-contrived "try this process from a book" flavors of the week. Often - the root cause of organizational issues is lackadaisically monkey patched by a spur of the moment model, process, and this unfortunately underscores the lack of critical thinking within the middle management of Addepar. Bias for Action: Addepar certainly gets a lot done. However, there is enough inertia on process and thumb-twiddling that makes it incredulously hard to get things done. Often, too much time is spent on analysis-paralysis in a well-intentioned, but poorly executed ideal of being data driven. The spirit of execution and learning, long a hallmark of "silicon valley" is quickly dying at Addepar, and I fear for it's future. Yes risk must be mitigated. Yes we must optimize ROI. I fear however, we do not take into account the opportunity cost of sitting pat and iterating on mediocrity. Building Together: There are issues at every company, but Addepar possesses an amazing amount of talent, and friendly individuals to boot. If any company will "fix finance", it will be this one. I implore leadership to take a good hard look at the opportunity it faces, and to seize it with vigor.

21 people found this review helpful

VP, People

Thank you for this review. I'd like to highly encourage you to meet with me or one of the other leaders of your choice so we can discuss this in depth. We'd really like to understand the specifics around what you are raising and work together to fix the issues. Thank you, Lissa

10. 5.0
    Current Employee

Designer

May 5, 2017 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

People at Addepar are really smart and hardworking. We focus on get things done, always let the best idea win, no matter where it's coming from.

Cons

As a 200+ people company, sometimes we need to make sure that certain messages are communicated across the board so that everyone involved are on the same page.

VP, People

Thank you for the feedback on communication. If you are comfortable sharing your ideas about how to make communication better I would love to hear them. Lissa

Viewing 1 - 10 of 37 Reviews