Addus Healthcare Reviews | Glassdoor

Addus Healthcare Reviews

Updated January 23, 2018

Dirk Allison

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Have had consistent full-time work since I started and they are accommodating to your needs and concerns (in 7 reviews)

• A great company to work for if you love working with people (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • lack of communication between supervisor and care person (in 5 reviews)

• Unprofessional office, low on caregivers, low pay, no lunch (in 7 reviews)

1. "Caregiver"

I have been working at Addus Healthcare part-time

Pros

I love that the hours are very flexible. You pretty much build your hours around your availability.

Cons

One Downside is if you don’t work you won’t get paid no matter how long you’ve been with the company and the only other thing I can think of is a pay increase would be greatly appreciated.

2. "Working with Addus"

Pros

You can work for a relative. It is flexible and if you want more work you can do that too.

Cons

They were pretty slow about starting work. But it may be different for others.

"Bittersweet"

Former Employee - In-Home Care Provider in Rockford, IL
    Former Employee - In-Home Care Provider in Rockford, IL

I worked at Addus Healthcare full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Some of the best reasons I enjoyed working at Addus was having a good repoire with my immediate supervisor. She listened, gave me as many hours as I wanted to work (up to 40), and was good about time off (which I hardly ever took during my 3.5 years of service.) Was lucky to have wonderful clients and still have fond memories of them. Another benefit is the many Addus offices across the country to work for if ever one decides to relocate. The best benefit I received working at Addus was an inner assurance that my work and time was spent wisely caring and helping seniors advance in life.

Cons

The downsides at Addus unfortunately outweigh the pros. The choice to work with aging/health care is one I persue so money is not the big factor for me like it may be for someone with dependants. With that said, aides are hired at $10.00 an hour with a nickle increase for each year of service. (After ten years of service you could be earning $10.50 an hour. ) Addus does give employees sick time. If you work 8 hours a day, but home 3 days sick in bed , you lose $240.00. Providers are paid take care of those who can't help themselves, but when the helper falls ill Aduss doesn't provide for them Addus employees are expected to work holidays and get paid time and half. If an employee takes a holiday off, they are required to make the time up at regular pay within the 2 week pay period. Wages are also low to the employee if a client contacts Addus and requests no service on any particular day the employee is scheduled. Two ways to make up for the lost income is if the client agrees the Home Care Provider come on a later date, or if the supervisor has you fill in for an employee who has called in sick or takes the day off. If you work an 8 hour shift you'll have to eat lunch on the road between clients. Addus does pay 43 cents a mile to get from one client to another AFTER your first stop. For example, my first client of the day is in Polo. Although it is an 18-19 mile drive, I get no compensation since it is my first client of the day. If you have a CNA certificate you a added to their internal system as a certified CNA but Addus does not offer any benefit for the certificate. The only benefit of having a CNA certificate with Addus and it being in their system is the certificate continues to stay active (certificates expire after two years of inactivity when you're not employed as a CNA.)While Addus conforms to state regulations and has paid quarterly meetings they left me feeling that only the truely dedicated Home Care Provider is nothing more than a Glorified Housekeeper. The few people who may enjoy work at Addus are high school graduates looking for their first job, people who REALLY care about our seniors, or people who are self motivators and enjoy working independly.

Advice to Management

Major turnover in superisors- 3 in three years. As a Home Care Provider who does not work directly with management it is obvious from the outside (including client's perspective) that supervisors are being given more work than they can perform. This is a poor reflection on Senior management. I've witness numerous times when clients come back from hours of dialysis and have not been informed their Home Care Provider won't be there for service. Likewise, countless times clients have called Addus and never received a call back, How frustrating it is for old, tired and sick person to not get a return call. Communications was at an all time low the first two years of my employment, the third year it improved when the supervisor got a part time assistant. There is no commarade between upper management and Home Care Providers- even during holidays. Who knows anything about the owner(s) or board of directors at Addus? What about HR, is there one. My experience with Addus is that it is a stepping stone to motivate one to further their advancement somewhere else.

4. "Decent Company"

Pros

Lots of flexibility with schedules and nice staff

Cons

low pay, usually minimum wage

5. "Caregiver"

Current Employee - Home Health Caregiver in Nampa, ID
    Current Employee - Home Health Caregiver in Nampa, ID

I have been working at Addus Healthcare full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

works great with scheduling, Makes it a easy and friendly process to start working

Cons

Your schedule is never the same and you always work different hours

"Manager"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Aurora, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Aurora, IL

I worked at Addus Healthcare full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Helping seniors, national company, close to home

Cons

Lack of career advancement opportunities, low salary, chronic payroll issues

7. "Ok start off company"

Current Employee - Home Health Aide in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Home Health Aide in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Addus Healthcare part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good start off company that's about it

Cons

Pay, no advancement poor benefits

Advice to Management

Better benifits be open to ideas

8. "The Company"

Former Employee - Home Health Aide in Wilmington, DE
    Former Employee - Home Health Aide in Wilmington, DE

I worked at Addus Healthcare full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Yes they keep you busy and yes there alot of over time and they also use to have good incentives

Cons

The offices staff they very unprofessional and they will give you bad reference and i haven't work for them over 10 years

9. "Addus"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Montgomery, AL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Montgomery, AL

I have been working at Addus Healthcare part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Paid every Thursday or Friday weekly

Cons

Not a lot of work in Montgomery county.

10. "If you love caregiving it's for you"

I worked at Addus Healthcare part-time

Pros

Caring for the patients

Cons

Unprofessional office, low on caregivers, low pay, no lunch