Adfero Reviews | Glassdoor

3.6
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Jeff Mascott

1. "Awesome Environment"

Pros

Great place to work, when you are a team player.

Cons

Strategic communication is our client focus however, Internal communication is could improve.

"Burning great people out too quickly"

I worked at Adfero (More than a year)

Pros

The low to mid-level staff that are responsible for execution of client work make a great team and an overall hospitable working environment. The closeness felt among teams is great because of the small size and flexible roles/responsibilities.

Cons

Unfortunately the size is also a huge issue for the company. Because it is so small, certain people rise to leadership positions very quickly and allow their titles to cloud valuable input from other team members. While Adfero tries to congratulate that it is a "flat" organization, that is only really applicable in the delegation of work. Mid-level staff often end up taking on work that is above their pay-grade and are told it's an opportunity to "prove themselves" and receive the recognition they deserve, but in reality that rarely happens. More often then not, people are thrust into roles they are not fully prepared for or without the support they need from leadership, therefore set up for failure.

The company's core values dictate that it's ok to fail and learn from it, but when dealing with company leadership that is usually not the case either. Instead, it creates a culture of anxiety and fear around making one wrong move and disappointing a client which could knock someone down a few pegs very quickly.

When dealing with clients, it's very easy for staff to feel that they aren't valued, as leadership tends to undersell the work but then expect people to do a quality job under unrealistic budgets. Capabilities have also been over-promised to clients and then the staff feels the direct heat of learning new skills in less than ideal timeframes.

Advice to Management

Recognize the strong talent at Adfero and realize that when people appear to be working well together, it is not good for the staff or the bottom line to throw monkey wrenches in things.

3. "Great agency that truly focuses on employees!"

I have been working at Adfero full-time (More than a year)

Pros

While many firms develop a mission statement and core values simply for the purpose of putting them on their website, Adfero is truly dedicated to living and breathing its core values. Junior employees and senior leaders alike are committed to working together, learning from mistakes, being responsible for results, and respecting one another. Adfero leadership believes deeply in the mission: to create opportunities for people to do what they do best.

Adfero's employees are hardworking, intelligent, and team-oriented. For the most part, everyone respects one another and works well together. The environment is collaborative and open. Team leads are open to new ideas and employees at all levels are encouraged to challenge accepted ways of thinking. If you have good ideas, you'll be encouraged to pursue them - even if they fall into uncharted territory.

Because Adfero is a small company, employees are trusted with many responsibilities and can learn a lot in a short period of time.

Cons

If you like a ton of structure and want to be given your to-do list everyday, this isn't the place for you.

Hiring decisions are not made lightly (or quickly) and a lot of emphasis is placed on culture fit. Overall, it's the right approach - but when you have a lot of work and need help on your team, it can be frustrating.

Advice to Management

Keep it up!

"Senior Level"

I worked at Adfero full-time

Pros

The junior staff is amazing and they keep a high morale in the office.

Cons

The open office plan in intolerable, especially because some of the leadership thinks that the open layout substitutes for knowing what the employees are doing, feeling or thinking. That led to false assumptions and those that actually talked to the staff were seen as trouble makers.

Advice to Management

See the staff as more than cogs in a wheel producing a widget. Upper management does not demonstrate enough knowledge or love of public relations or the core business.

6. "Account Coordinator"

Former Employee - Account Coordinator
    Former Employee - Account Coordinator

Pros

Definitely a good start if you are looking to break into the realm of public relations. The atmosphere is inviting but you definitely have to prove yourself in terms of your work. Make sure you are paying close attention to feedback.

Cons

Work can get hectic at times but then other times it will be really slow

"Account Executive"

I have been working at Adfero full-time

Pros

Although this experience was not a highlight of my career, there did seem to be a level of genuine camaraderie among the junior staff at the office, and many of the former higher level management team seemed truly interested in acting as mentors.

Cons

Discussions with the CEO are uncomfortable. The process for advancement is never laid out or discussed. There isn't much transparency regarding decision making and finances. Bad contracts are accepted without regard to the negative impact on staff.

Advice to Management

If there are areas of high turnovers, those areas should be reviewed and the problem identified rather than covered up. Mass firings are deeply unsettling and somewhat frightening, particularly when a staff member is looking at future success with the company.

"Best Place to Launch PR Career"

Former Employee - Account Supervisor in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Account Supervisor in Washington, DC

I worked at Adfero full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Culture: Having been at a new company for some time now, I can say that Adfero has the best possible culture. Not only can every (good) employee recite the four core values, but they are employee-focused. It's very inclusive and open, making for happy and accountable employees.

Career Growth: Adfero focuses heavily on individual growth from quarter to quarter and year over year. Constructive feedback is helpful, so long as you take it. I saw plenty of people over time take it personally, but for those of us who took as an opportunity to grow, we succeeded. You have measurable goals and objectives so it's truly up to you to prove yourself.

Opportunity: Like anywhere else, opportunities are there; it's what you make of them that really define your experience at Adfero. I was constantly putting myself out there, and thus rewarded with new clients and awesome opportunities. The key was putting myself out there to prove I could keep doing more.

Senior Management: They've grown the business tremendously, so that's saying something (both in revenue and size of staff). The people are open to feedback and most importantly, they look to the entire staff to help shape the culture, processes and experiences.

I left the company because an amazing opportunity to work in-house somewhere popped up, and I couldn't pass it up. I left on great terms and still lean on some of the staff for mentoring, as well as keep in touch with my former mentees and supervisees.

Cons

Workload: It ebbs and flows just like any PR firm. Sometimes people are really overloaded, but as long as you ask for help (one of the core values is all working together in times like this), you should be fine.

Bad eggs: In my years there, there was always a person or two who wasn't bought into the culture or didn't care to perform well. It's a client services business and that can really weigh on your experience there. They are all eventually weeded out though.

Pay: Let me be clear - pay is on par with other PR firms. However, pay at PR firms isn't as high as other industries or for many in-house PR opportunities. It's marginal, though.

Advice to Management

Keep growing. Continue to focus on building a company of great people and great service. It has, and will continue to pay off.

9. "I was pleasantly surprised at how much I love working at Adfero... it's special and not "just like any other firm"."

Pros

Where do I start? Adfero is just all-around awesome! Everyone is empowered to really make this firm grow and to take their role within the firm where they want. There's a huge amount of openness in terms of how people can live our our Core Purpose of creating opportunities for people to do what they do best. The fact that this is our Core Purpose alone is remarkable and that our leader stands behind this in everything we do.

Adfero has amazing camaraderie. We're all about teamwork and we mean it. I know many organizations say that but there's something different about it here. It might be due to one of Core Values -- a Swahili saying "Harambee" which means we all pull together. It might be partly due to our open environment where no one has offices from the CEO on throughout. It could be our newly created O Team (the o in Adfero) which focuses on our social, community and green activities. We have quarterly State of Adfero meetings where we're transparent and Jeff gives us a financial update on the company. We have a one for all, all for one mentality exhibited through a quarterly profit sharing bonus plan for everyone. There's a quarterly mentorship program and quarterly performance check-ins. Adfero really does a lot for its employees and in turn, employees take ownership and pride in what they are able to do at Adfero.

It's a great place to work. The best place I've worked.

Cons

The only adjustment I've had in coming to Adfero is getting used to an open work environment. I can get easily distracted and need quiet to get meaty work done so that's when I will sometimes go to one of our unreserved offices to work!

I also think that people who prefer a more structured environment have a harder time adjusting to Adfero. It's very entrepreneurial which plays to another Core Value: Be responsible for results.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing! Continue to allow the flexibility and openness on getting great work done and empowering everyone to do their best. Your career here is really what you make of it and Adfero has continued to grow and provide growth to its team. I wouldn't want Adfero to start becoming too much more structured as we grow and I don't see that happening. I'd love to see its core of the entrepreneurial spirit continue to stay alive as it grows. I feel fortunate to have found this place and thank Jeff for the vision he had to create this firm!

"Small Firm with Big Heart--Great Place to Grow"

I have been working at Adfero full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Adfero is a truly great place to learn. Because we are a small (but growing!) firm, I have had opportunities to work on projects, learn business development, and have an impact on the way the company does things that I know I would not have at a bigger agency. Our work is fast-paced and often challenging, but very rewarding. The leadership team is approachable and smart; I have learned a lot from them through informal and formal mentorships. The best part about Adfero is that I work with people who care about me personally and professionally.

Cons

Like most firms, it's sink or swim--people who don't fit in with our work ethic, culture, or values usually don't last long.

"Upbeat, fast-growing company with unmatched culture"

I have been working at Adfero full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I've worked in many different office environments, and I can say without hesitation that Adfero's culture is unbeatable. Our staff has doubled in the time that I've worked here, but the close-knit and highly team-oriented environment remains unchanged. Adfero leadership is committed to honing employees' skills and interests, which means regular feedback, formal (and informal) mentorship opportunities, and a generous professional development budget. Professionally and socially, this firm is characterized by strong relationships. We genuinely like each other and get along well. When I joined the firm, I couldn't believe how universally inclusive and collaborative everyone is. When I've felt overwhelmed, there is always someone to swoop in and help out, and I try to offer the same support to my colleagues (this mentality is virtually universal).

Opportunities for growth are also abundant at Adfero. As a young(er) employee, I was usually trusted with as much responsibility as I was willing to take on. My supervisors have always been eager to provide guidance and support no matter how demanding their day-to-day responsibilities are. Firm leadership is also VERY approachable. As I mentioned, Adfero is extremely socially inclusive and employees regularly touch base with one another (across levels, across projects, etc) over coffee or lunch.

I should also mention that our benefits are pretty stellar. As a profit-sharing firm, ALL full-time staffers receive a quarterly bonus based on our profitability. Beyond the regular health/financial benefits, Adfero donates $$ to each staffer's favorite nonprofit org around the holidays, which is very special to me. In my second year of employment, I received 15 vacation days, which is definitely more than most, particularly given my (lack of) seniority.

Obviously, I'm very loyal to Adfero and I strongly disagree with some of the comments that have been posted here. It's an exciting time to be part of Adfero...the firm is steadily gaining notoriety in Washington and it has been interesting to watch the staff grow along with our client accounts. There's a lot to look forward to as an employee; I think Adfero's best days are yet to come.

Cons

Sometimes it can be challenging to stay productive in an open office environment (there are no private offices).