Adler School of Professional Psychology Reviews | Glassdoor

CEO

"High-change environment"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Adler School of Professional Psychology full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Mission-driven, employees are valued, pay is fair, benefits and work/life balance are great. Positive work environment, colleagues are generally good to work with.

Cons

Constant change happening at all levels. Constantly adding new programs without the resources in staff and faculty to support them, and now shifting from Adler School to Adler University. Faculty can be difficult to work with.

Advice to Management

Stop adding so many people in admissions and shift those resources to other areas of the school that need more people.

"One of the worst places I have ever worked"

Former Employee - Staff in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Staff in Chicago, IL

I worked at Adler School of Professional Psychology full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The school offers a generous vacation time , a beautiful campus that is conveniently located downtown, but that is about it.

Cons

I worked in Operations/Staff and it was poorly managed by the CFO department. People were constantly being laid off, there was poor communication between the leadership team and staff, there was a lack of transparency as well with no input from peers. It was a miserable working environment as most people were afraid of being fired by the CFO. It was a truly miserable working environment which was made 100 times worse by the CFO department. I would never recommend anyone work here.

Advice to Management

The CFO department needs new leadership otherwise it is bad business as usual. There needs to be transparency and less hypocrisy by the leadership team.

"Horrible place to work"

I worked at Adler School of Professional Psychology full-time

Pros

Good benefits, generous days off. There aren't many pros

Cons

Very low morale, no room for growth, constant reduction in force, lack of transparency from management.

Advice to Management

For a school that teaches tolerance, management should practice what they preach with employees. There is constant turnover, especially with female employees. It is a boys club for sure!

"Delusions of Grandeur - Not recommended"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Adler School of Professional Psychology (More than 5 years)

Pros

There are *some* incredible and passionate people at Adler; faculty, staff and students. The students are the reason we should be excited and honored to work there, there is a great pool of talented, intelligent and empathetic future clinicians at Adler with amazing ideas. Decent benefits. For the education market they seem to be quite generous with their pay, so don't expect future employers to meet your salary requirements.

Cons

Rare opportunities for growth or movement within the organization. Incredibly silo-ed departments and processes. Often more reactive than proactive. Zero transparency. If you question the way things are/how things are run/why decisions are made it's considered a bad thing (aka "gossip").

There is a massive disconnect between leadership and what is actually occurring at the employee level; there is an LT lead for every major department and it's rare that any of them take the time to meet with anyone on their respective teams that aren't AVP or DIR level, therefore they get the narrative of events and climate that those constituents give them, and not necessarily an accurate temperature of the climate and work loads. Ex. The Admissions team was trending early on to not meet their enrollment goals, yet LT assigned VP of Admissions to take over interim dean duties at the Vancouver Campus when he should have been on site assisting in coming up with ways to meet enrollment goals. How does this make any sense?

Negative workplace culture: 10 people laid off in July. 6 of them were there for 10 plus years. Within a month of those layoffs at least 5 people from 5 different departments put their resignations in. That should tell you something.

Advice to Management

Needs to be under new management. The integrity of the institution is being run into the ground with the stagnancy of the leadership team. There are no new perspectives or ideas, they push the agendas they want to. Unfortunately, their negligence in both business and human interest will have incredibly long lasting effects on not just Adler as an establishment but the employees of the institution and the students which is so sad. Also, if you think the students aren't aware of how bad things are there, you're wrong.

"Admin Assistant"

I worked at Adler School of Professional Psychology full-time

Pros

The school facility is very modern and the (administrative) work was not hard. Coworkers at my level and security people were very nice. I would not have left if it were up to me.

Cons

Was left alone a lot during the "training process" because my supervisor was not in the office regularly. I was rushed through (4) interviews so I could start immediately, only to be let go after only one month. The termination paperwork had falsified information/inaccurate reasons for dismissal, and they stopped all communication when I presented proof of their incorrect information. I have since researched to see if my position has been filled or advertised, it has not. Which leads me to believe they made up excuses, rather than admitting my position was being dissolved. A little honesty would've been nice. I wish I had read other reviews on Glassdoor before applying.

Advice to Management

If you are going to advertise teaching Tolerance, maybe the school/management could practice a little tolerance with their staff.

"Faculty"

Current Employee - Faculty in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Faculty in Chicago, IL

Pros

Some interesting faculty, good students. Pretty building. Afraid if they know this is me they will fire me- just beware! Many folks get fired with no warning, no severance, within a few years. Ruthless place- don't be fooled. Very unhappy people.

Cons

Fire faculty frequently. It is run by non-phd power hungry people. No tenure. Icky vibe, fake values used for marketing only. A pseudo-university.

"Immediately apparent is the disconnect between values and action. The call for social justice is silent."

Former Employee - Human Resources Professional in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Human Resources Professional in Chicago, IL

I worked at Adler School of Professional Psychology full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Beautiful facilities in the heart of the loop, great benefits and great lunches.

Cons

Ineffective CFO, unhealthy culture, corporate approach to social injustice, low enrollment, financial issues.

Advice to Management

Review leaderships values to align with school values, mission and vision. Reform culture to support professionalism, respect, safety, teamwork.

"Being part of an important mission"

Former Employee - Core Faculty/Department Chair in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Core Faculty/Department Chair in Chicago, IL

Pros

Amazing colleagues committed to advancing social responsibility in the curriculum and in the students. The faculty, both core and adjunct, bring an impressive depth of experience in a multitude of disciplines that they are happy to share with students.

Cons

Too many levels of bureaucracy slow/stop initiatives. Adler is too quick to hire recent grads into adjunct positions. As a result these recent grads rely too heavily on theory and don't have the personal experience to make the course material "alive". The demands of carrying multiple course while being required to participate in multiple committees negatively impacts work-life balance.

Advice to Management

Tell students the reality of post graduation employment with a Masters and with a Doctorate. Share licensing pass rate for Adler students taking the EPPP. Share post-doc employment rates and starting / mid career salaries.

"Good all around"

Current Employee - Administrative in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Administrative in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Adler School of Professional Psychology full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I really like the atmosphere that the school creates. All ideas are welcome. Good benefits, time off during the holidays and half days in the summer

Cons

none that I can think of!

11. "Very good experience, room for growth and good professional development opportunities"

Current Employee - Middle Management in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Middle Management in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Adler School of Professional Psychology full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Excellen benefits as well as professional development opportunities. I truly enjoyed all the faculty and staff that I worked with. It is overall a great organization, I worked there for about 5 years and would recommend it to anyone.

Cons

I have no cons on this school

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work