Admissionado Reviews

Updated Apr 21, 2019

4.8
Admissionado Co-Founder Raj Patil (no image)
Raj Patil
0 Rating
Pros
  • "When I was there, I managed my workload so I could work from home and even travel with my colleagues(in 7 reviews)

• "You can work remotely on your own time, setting your own hours(in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • "application deadlines(in 3 reviews)

• "The 1099 contract worker deal means no benefits; it would be hard to work here if I weren't getting benefits from other sources(in 3 reviews)

Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
  1. "Great people, great work"

I have been working at Admissionado full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The work is remote, which is awesome. Even better is that the management team comes from a place of, "get your work done and we don't care where you are in the world." So I'm able to travel to see family, do long weekends visiting friends, etc. There's also somehow a super awesome culture... which is not easy when an entire team is remote. But they did it, and everyone here is loyal, helpful, generous and super cool.

Cons

With clients all around the world, work is coming in at all hours of the day. So this is not a job for someone who can't manage their time well. If you aren't careful, you can end up buried in work! But if you're able to plan and stay organized, you will be juuuust fine.

Continue reading
  2. "A truly personal and professional admissions company"

4.0
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in New York, NY

I have been working at Admissionado part-time for less than a year

Pros

Admissionado is a great place to work as a consultant. The senior/administrative staff is beyond supportive and its email and response-time practices go both ways to the benefit of the entire organization. The people who are recruited to join all share the highly intelligent but "don't take themselves or the job too seriously" category, which is what you really want in this business. Over-professionalizing this type of work is not anymore effective to clients and staff, despite claims by competing companies that it is... As a consultant, having an Editing team to assist and drive you through the process makes your job a whole lot easier. Editing and advising are two very different jobs and it would be difficult to see many clients if you had to take on both. The specialization of labor is critical to providing high quality services to the clients. The virtual nature of the business also makes it really easy to do this job as well as hold down a full-time demanding role. I can do this job from wherever and whenever. Where else can you make that happen? The network of fellow consultants is fantastic. If have any unusual or conventional questions, your fellow consultants are there to assist or point you to in-house resources. As a relatively new hire, it's comforting to know I have a wealth of materials and people to support me. It's also a great network of highly competent peers to have for your own full-time professional interests!

Cons

Not exclusive to Admissionado but rather the industry as a whole, the "free consultation" practice is a necessary evil. Prospective clients will frequently use admissions firms to gather professional information on their profiles and seek complimentary advice with no hopes of actually purchasing services from the company. It's part of the gig so it's hard to avoid it but the firm could do a better job of vetting prospective clients and their actual intentions. The company should brush up on its policies to protect its core staff from overreaching and hyper aggressive clients. Consultants should not be worried about their compensation based upon the whims of the clients.

3. "Mentor"

4.0
    Former Employee - Mentor in Boston, MA

I worked at Admissionado part-time for less than a year

Pros

Very flexible hours, it could be a good PT job. Very nice people, you just use your spare time to help students

Cons

Not really too many cons, it only depends on what you want. If you want flexibility and not devote too much time

4. "MBA Consulting at Admissionado"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Admissionado part-time

Pros

- Top Notch, responsive and well-organized leadership / admin support - Excellent training and resources to get your job done - Flexibility - very easy to control your workflow around your other obligations - Other consultants are all top notch - great network to talk with and get perspective from - Good compensation - Dedicated to producing an excellent product and really buy-in to helping the clients

Cons

- Onboarding can come quick - not really a "con", but the training process is not hand-holding. You gotta hit the ground running - Many clients will be in Asian time zones, which requires a bit of time management

5. "A Great Place to Work for New Grads"

Current Employee - Senior Editor

I have been working at Admissionado full-time

Pros

Flexibility -- As most positions are remote, Admissionado allows you to work from anywhere, at any hours. This makes it easy to adjust your schedule to your outside commitments, desired work environment, and personal preferences. Variety -- Within the editing job itself, no two clients are alike, and there is enough variety backgrounds and writing styles and prompts to keep this work interesting. Beyond editing, this position allows you to gain varied experiences writing blog posts and working on the occasional side project, a plus for the aspiring writer.

Cons

Unpredictable workload - While there are generally regular busy and light periods, on a day-to-day basis its difficult to predict the amount of work you'll face on any particular workday. This can result in unexpected days off, as well as unusually full days, so flexibility is required in this job as much as it is offered.

6. "Great Company for Writers"

Current Employee - Senior Editor in Washington, DC

I have been working at Admissionado full-time for less than a year

Pros

Admissionado is a great company for "creatives" looking for a flexible schedule that allows them to write. Almost everyone I've met at the company on the editor side has a writing background or a writing project on the side. Some of the pros for writers looking to work at this company are: 1. October -- during the month of October (and at several other times during the application season) relatively little work comes in, and the pace of work slows down a lot. Sure, the work comes back in a BIG way later in the season, but during those sweet, sweet four weeks or so, the downtime is... sweet. 2. Content writing -- when work is scarce, editors get the opportunity to switch gears a little bit, and write articles and other kinds of writing for the Admissionado website. This is one of the most fun parts of the job, and teaches you a powerful skill, indispensable for any writer in today's economy: manufacturing *content.*

Cons

1. The flexible schedule, which sometimes gives you way less, and sometimes way more work than normally fits into a 40-hour work week, is not for everyone. If you prefer a more structured schedule, or you get overwhelmed when assignments pile up at work, this job may not be for you. 2. Sometimes it can be lonely speaking to the rest of the Admissionado team only through e-mail and Skype. However, the company gets us all together for group Google Hangout sessions as often as possible. It's something of an unorthodox work culture, but it's full of bright, friendly and enthusiastic people.

Continue reading
  7. "Great place to work with some pretty awesome people"

Current Employee - Senior Editor in Colorado Springs, CO

I have been working at Admissionado full-time for less than a year

Pros

I've been editing with Admissionado for a few months now—not quite a full "season" as we would say in the biz (as in an "application season"). It's been a really positive experience thus far! A few highlights include: 1. The most notable pro about working here is the people. Despite the fact that nearly everybody at the company works remote, there is a very collegiate and friendly "workplace" atmosphere, from Lauren and Alex at HQ to all of the fantastic consultants that work directly with our clients. 2. Hand-in-hand with working with such a great team is feeling valued. Beginning with training (which was very thorough and helpful) to the day-to-day of the job, I get to feel that my work is highly valued and I'm appreciated—important at any job, but especially difficult to achieve in remote work. The ability to work remote is another huge plus of the job, and, as mentioned above, doesn't detract from the "workplace" at all. 3. The work itself is rewarding! While there are certainly times when your clients (or their essays at least) are the bane of your existence, it is very rewarding to see a batch of essays go from a hot mess of random ideas to a veritable masterpiece (or at least, competent enough to have a good shot at some pretty top-notch schools). Even more rewarding is seeing clients take on your suggestions, hearing appreciation from them and from consultants, and seeing your own editing (and writing) prowess improve. Overall, the work itself is often downright enjoyable.

Cons

Every job has it's cons, and this one is no different, though I can hardly fault Admissionado with these, as they really do a great job taking care of their employees. The nature of the work, built around school application deadlines, means that we naturally have stretches of pretty intense workload, followed by a lull, and then another month or so of insanity. There is not much that can be done about this as deadlines are out of our control, and that's the time our clients need us the most! However, HQ does a great job making sure we keep our heads screwed on and have a manageable workload. That said, as editors we don't get a whole lot of time off the clock. During the lull between deadlines you really don't need it as your work schedule can be pretty light. However, it's important to keep in mind during the months of September and Nov-Dec that you won't have a lot of flexibility in your schedule, and other than 2-3 days off each month, you can count on putting in some serious hours every day.

8. "Admissionado Rocks!"

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Admissionado part-time for less than a year

Pros

From day one I felt like I was part of the Admissionado family and could connect to everyone on the team. It is energizing to be part of such a talented, smart, cool and passionate group of people, constantly striving to be and do better. Everyone at Admissionado is super high energy; exhaling love and excellence in everything they do. There is a complete alignment and deep investment in the client’s success. The The opportunity to coach and mentor people as they embark in such a life changing and transformative experience is unique and to do it in a firm that is 100% committed to serving its clients with excellence and personalized support to each and every client, is unmatchable!

Cons

It's hard to point out a con, I would say that when approaching round 1 and 2 deadlines there is a lot coming through the pipeline at once (inherent to the nature of the job) and we have less predictability on the amount of work. The beauty of working at Admissionado, though, is that we as consultants manage how many clients we take on at a time.

9. "Senior Consultant"

Current Employee - Senior Consultant

I have been working at Admissionado part-time for more than a year

Pros

Working with Admissionado has truly been a pleasure from day one! As someone who is passionate about the MBA experience, I wanted to find a way to help others achieve their dreams of going to business school. Admissionado is the perfect fit, as it seeks part-time consultants to work closely with future applicants throughout the process. The company allows you to develop your own schedule, attracts top-notch MBA candidates, and has a fantastic corporate culture that allows people to express their genuine personalities while striving towards a common mission.

Cons

Hard to think of a significant con given the great experience I have had over the past year. If anything, it is that the Consultants and Senior Management don't get to hang out more since most of us work remotely. But that's also a core part of Admissionado's secret sauce, which allows people to work when and from where they choose.

10. "Great admission consulting firm to work for with quite a bit of flexibility"

Senior Consultant in New York, NY

I have been working at Admissionado for more than a year

Pros

It's a pleasant work environment that puts teamwork and clients above all else. Senior Management and HQ are very enthusiastic about their work and ensure that they onboard the consultants smoothly and offer any guidance they need. It's also a knowledge bank of seasoned admission consultants who have encountered a spectrum of candidates so help and resources are always readily available, or even if you just want a sounding board to discuss your ideas. I find the work rewarding and the colleagues supportive. There's quite a bit of flexibility as most of the work is done online. Overall, a collaborative and dynamic firm to work for.

Cons

Nothing really comes to mind

Viewing 1 - 10 of 34 English Reviews