Advance Auto Parts Reviews | Glassdoor

Advance Auto Parts CEO Thomas Greco
Thomas Greco

1,887 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Learn a lot of knowledge on cars if you are a beginner (in 34 reviews)

• Good work life balance, fun atmosphere most of the time, good discount on parts (in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • Games played buy upper management (in 140 reviews)

• Need longer part time hours for part timers (in 62 reviews)

"A Highly Recommended Place To Work."

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Gastonia, NC
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Gastonia, NC

Pros

They will set you up to achieve your maximum potential. There are plenty of chances to advance up the ladder. Every tool you will need will be given to you. Sometimes the company moves slow and you just have to be patient and wait it out.

Cons

Its hard work and like most retail the people you deal with can be jerks. But other then those things there is not a lot of negative.

Advice to Management

None. The members of senior management that I have been fortunate enough to meet, know way more about the company then I could ever imagine.

2. "The work is fun and plentiful!"

Current Employee - Sales in Norfolk, VA
    Current Employee - Sales in Norfolk, VA

Pros

My schedule needs to be flexible and they have no problem accommodating me. After 3 years on the job I find that it's still a very friendly, upbeat place to work, and surprisingly clean too for an auto parts store. The benefits are good and if you're willing to continue in your learning, promotions are waiting.

Cons

Some of the downsides are needing to work on the weekends ("blue law" anyone?) and some holidays. As a part timer, there is no overtime on holidays unless you've worked 40 hours that week. Any store manager worth his salt will make sure that doesn't happen, so don't look forward to overtime pay. Store managers and the assistant manager are expected to work 50 hours a week.

Advice to Management

Thank you for the training opportunities. Encourage all store managers to be consistent in writing the weekly schedule. It's nice to know that ones schedule will pretty much be the same from week to week.

3. "Advance Auto Parts. A great first job!"

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Christiansburg, VA
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Christiansburg, VA

Pros

If you own an older car and constantly working on it the 20% employee discount helps a lot. The pay is decent and the people I worked with were very easy to get along with. I started at $7 an hour and being a part time team member to being moved up to $9.50 and promoted to 2nd Assistant Manager. I'm sure if I would of stayed longer I could of kept moving up. I would recommend this job to anyone in high school or just graduating. If you stay there you are sure to move up quickly and if you enjoy cars you will learn lots.

Cons

The people that came in were rude and sometimes the hours were long.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work.

4. "Great place to work..."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Morgantown, WV
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Morgantown, WV

Pros

Great place to work, good managers and everyone is a team player. Bene package is also excellent and includes many perks.

Cons

Hours were not constant and sometimes you would not have the same schedule that you had the week before last.

Advice to Management

Keeping doing what you are doing! Keep putting the employees and customers first. I wish we had a full service shop in our store as well.

5. "Love this job. but GM need to be put in there place"

Current Employee - Cpp in Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Cpp in Jacksonville, FL

Pros

I have a job I like
    I own my box
    Its a easy place to get along with everyone including my DM
    They make it a fun place to work

Cons

The GM in most store's dont know how to run a store. They just know how to tallk
    They roll things out to fast. IE CDL.
    What happened to WAVE???

Advice to Management

Stop trying to show off and listen to your team. We are the ones that run the store.

6. "Overall good plae to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Roanoke, VA

Pros

Great Place to Work. Bonuses are fantastic. Location is fabulous. Managment is very tough but fair and peoiple are freindly.

Cons

Business is very fast paced and many of the senior managers are new to the organixzation so everyone wants to make a difference quickly.

Advice to Management

Slow the change down a bit. People are overworked at times and those receiving recognition are not necessarrily the one completing the work.

"Great place to work."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Roanoke, VA

Pros

- Mangement cares about their employees
     - Employees are constantly striving to be better at their jobs and care about the success of the company.
     - Great benefits (medical, dental, etc, as well as discounts on cell phone service and other items) as well as salary.

Cons

- New store initiatives are pushed down to the stores at different times so stores tend to operate differently.
     - Store mangaement (GMs, DMs, etc.) are not trained on "soft skills"

Advice to Management

Need a better method to push new intiatives out to stores.

8. "A good place to grow."

Current Employee - Retail Parts Pro in Sanford, FL
    Current Employee - Retail Parts Pro in Sanford, FL

Pros

Good pay.
    Management notices when you do good, and rewards accordingly.
    Expand your knowledge of vehicles and common problems.
    Great Co-workers.
    Good management in place to continue to move forward.

Cons

Store level management needs to be more attentive to needs of certain employees.
    Prices that may be high compared to competition.
    Stock is not always correct, losing a customer.

Advice to Management

I believe that Darren is doing a good job for being new, and the company going in a new direction. It is not easy to see where your decisions will take you until sometimes it is too late, and he and the team are doing a great job. We need to, as a company, make sure our stock is correct, and that we can get the hours for our employees to be happy. At the end, the face the of the company are the ones who work in the store level and need to be satisfied, in turn the customers will leave the store feeling satisfied and want to come work with our competent team again.

9. "The work environment is upbeat, a fun place to work !"

Current Employee - Retail Sales Representative in Colorado Springs, CO
    Current Employee - Retail Sales Representative in Colorado Springs, CO

Pros

Upper management gives you weekly verbal feedback on your strengths/weaknesses and how to better yourself through online courses given to you while on shift. Even though I am an entry level employee, both commercial and retail co-workers, including management treat me like family . It is a great place to work and is never a monotonous work day !

Cons

Your hands will get a little dirty handling customers' old parts being traded in for "core"; the old part needed for credit in exchange for the new one. But that's to be expected handling an old part from under the hood of someone's vehicle that is usually as old as their vehicle itself. That is not an issue with me and plenty of cleaning supplies for your hands are readily available in our breakrooms.

Advice to Management

Keep the current gameplan in place. I am treated like a human being and not a number, I value that highly and that's what attracted me to work for this corporation. The customers are people just like I am too. I have learned that if you take just a few seconds and greet a customer with enthusiasm and not to check the box, you are going to be treated in turn, with respect and quite possibly have a repeat customer. That is one thing that my manager emphasized and still does, "Apply the Golden Rule." He applies it too towards his employees. So it's safe to say, I don't have advice for my management, but perhaps other managers should apply that Golden Rule if they want to prevent high employee turnover and yield positive results.

10. "Its a great place to work and too go far if u want too."

Current Employee - Sales Person in Uhrichsville, OH
    Current Employee - Sales Person in Uhrichsville, OH

Pros

The people u get too deal with and all the employees are great too work with from mangers too other sales people.

Cons

Nothing really other then no holiday pay till ur fulltime.

Advice to Management

Noyhing it a great work place and the other employees are nice people. i like the place altogether.

Showing 1,887 of 1,900 reviews