Advance Auto Parts Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated June 26, 2017
1,818 reviews

Full-time Part-time

1,818 Employee Reviews

Pros
  • Learn a lot of knowledge on cars if you are a beginner (in 33 reviews)

• Rewards high performing team members (in 48 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management wants the team to care, as long as they don't have to pay them for it (in 137 reviews)

• Customers get better discount than team members (in 62 reviews)

"Out of Touch Old Boys Club"

Former Employee - Driver in Milwaukee, WI
    Former Employee - Driver in Milwaukee, WI

I worked at Advance Auto Parts full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Met some good people while employed (none of whom still work for AAP)

Cons

-Low pay
    -Moving up in the company has nothing to do with qualifications at a store or district level.
    -Pay is arbitrarily different among employees at the same position, with the same experience.
    -Store level and middle managers are not held accountable for failing to achieve goals or blatantly violating company policy.
    -Inventory counts falsified by store management. When reported, AAP ignored the report and reported a negative variance of $50,000 at the following inventory.
    -Store level and middle management seem to have no grasp of basic finance or accounting principles to effectively manage a P&L at a store level.
    -Upper management isn't concise when communicating goals to front line employees.

Advice to Management

-You get what you pay for. Low wages and impossible to achieve bonuses lead to good employees going elsewhere.
    -Store management positions should be more properly vetted.
    -Eliminate middle management positions. The company is top heavy and a majority of the money goes to middle and upper management who rarely, if ever, interact directly with customers who account for a majority of the revenues. Elimination of management positions could also lead to better wages for store level employees and would allow for the company to hire more productive people and give better profitability.
    -Hold managers accountable rather than brushing policy violations under the rug when they cost the company money.

2. "Post Turtle"

Former Employee - Commercial Parts Pro in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Commercial Parts Pro in Dallas, TX

Pros

Pay, sourcing options, inventory selection, easy to use interface, long term company, great culture and values that are not properly followed through

Cons

Post Turtle Management and staffing

When you're driving down a country road and you see a fence post with a turtle balanced on top, that's a post turtle. You know he didn't get up there by himself. He doesn't belong there.

Advice to Management

Hire people who know how to do third jobs. As a CPP I should not be training my manager and assistant manager. On how to sell parts. The lack of parts knowledge across the stores I was part of was minimal. My leaving the store has caused a drop in customers drastically.

3. "needs help"

Current Employee - Delivery Driver in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Delivery Driver in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Advance Auto Parts part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Works with schedule and flexible good benefits, and management can be fun to be around

Cons

Management doesn't care about the employees, high turnover, discount is same as an every day customer gets and I was brought on as " part time" and it turned in to a 40 hour week, pay could be better as well

Advice to Management

Applicate your employees, buy them breakfast, make them want to work by giving raises and make the environment fun

"DC warehouse worker"

Current Employee - Shipping in Salina, KS
    Current Employee - Shipping in Salina, KS

I have been working at Advance Auto Parts full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I like people I work with

Cons

When u go in at 6:30 and don't get out until 6 or 6:30 sometimes when ur suppose to be gone by 5 and then they don't want to pay u anything even if u r one of the best workers and that comes from my supervisor this past year we get a 1.5 percent raise but insurance raises so u don't gain anything. I have been there 13 years and I make only 1 dollar more an hour than someone that's been there 2 years they don't care about there loyal employees there idea is they can get new employees so they can pay them less

Advice to Management

Pull your heads out ur behind and see what's going on in ur company either undercover boss or go to some of the stores or warehouses and ask some of the "team members" what they think cause I don't think u like what u would here

"Glad That's over with"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Augusta, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Augusta, GA

I worked at Advance Auto Parts full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I loved helping customers find solutions to their problems or suggesting maintenance procedures to avoid having future problems.

Cons

Company relies way to much on salaried employees. No overtime for hourly employees, strictly scheduled store hours with no leeway. They saved over 26k by not having to pay me for all the free overtime hours I worked at the store. I got tired of working evenings, holidays, and weekends, giving up days off for company mandated activities. And manager schedule requirements that provided no opportunity for any sort of social life or outside activities. Close Friday, Open Saturday, and sleep most of Sunday to make up for the lack of sleep the night before. Five 10 hour per day minimum shifts, Nope you can't work Four 11s and a 6. or Four 12s and a 4. .

Advice to Management

Make up your mind. Decide what's important. do you want us to make our numbers and keep the customers happy, or do you want us to maintain employee hours?.

6. "Parts Pro Job"

Current Employee - Parts Pro in Powhatan, VA
    Current Employee - Parts Pro in Powhatan, VA

I have been working at Advance Auto Parts part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good employee benefits, Easy going job, Medium paced

Cons

Odd schedule, low pay, outdated computer systems

Advice to Management

Increase pay.

7. "Working at Adavance"

Current Employee - Senior Content Developer in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Senior Content Developer in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Advance Auto Parts full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great working atmosphere and director.

Cons

Not competitive salaries that surrounding businesses offer.

"Senior Leadership issues"

Current Employee - Director of Finace in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Director of Finace in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Advance Auto Parts full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Solid Professionals and folks who know how to run the business

Cons

New CFO is destructive and systems are prehistoric

Advice to Management

Live your core values and listen to people who know the business. Get new systems.

"Costumer Service"

Current Employee - Costumer Service Representative in Fort Worth, TX
    Current Employee - Costumer Service Representative in Fort Worth, TX

I have been working at Advance Auto Parts part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Discount on auto parts, On going automotive field training.

Cons

Rude upper management, they cut hours weekly. You buy your own uniforms,They do not transfer employes to shorten their commute. They don't like making part time workers full time so they don't have to give benefits. Their part time drivers are not offer life insurance, so if they are involve in an accident and pass away is just to bad! There it's a lot of sexual harrasment going on and bulling from coworkers and costumers. They hire cute girls to drive so they can get sales, and turn a blind eye when the women gets harrased by the mechanics.

10. "seletor"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL

I worked at Advance Auto Parts full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

work with good hard working people

Cons

worked as temp. told I was hired with 15 of my temp mates. told to go to HR for new employee ids. lined us up and had police walk as out.

Advice to Management

tell true about if you are hire going to hire temps or not. I had real good workers on team,

Showing 1,818 of 1,829 reviews