Advance Digital Reviews | Glassdoor

Advance Digital Reviews

Updated Oct 15, 2019

3.5
Advance Digital   (no image)
1 Rating
  1. "Good place"

I worked at Advance Digital full-time

Pros

Great Exposure, Sweet People, Good Location

Cons

Sometimes poor Management Politics a lot of it Visibility

Advance Digital2018-11-21
  2. "Great team - little pay"

Former Employee - Customer Success Coordinator

I worked at Advance Digital full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

This was a great place to get started and I am grateful for those who took the time to train me. They had patience and really wanted to help set me up for success. This was a place I could clock in and out and I didn't feel like work followed me home.

Cons

- The pay was awful - At the time those in charge had a focus on newspapers - No growth

Advice to Management

Look at what similar companies are doing in NYC.

Advance Digital2019-10-15
  3. "Great Company"

I worked at Advance Digital part-time

Pros

Amazing group of individuals to work with. Everyone is super-committed and is involved with journalism for the right reasons. They take training very seriously, so you feel prepared from jump, and empower you to bring fresh ideas to the table. You can also work remotely in many cases.

Cons

The pay could be better for part-timers, and seemingly constant corporate restructuring made it feel like your job was never truly safe.

Advice to Management

Help employees feel a little bit more stable in their positions, and don't cause your workers to burn out.

Advance Digital2018-06-05
  4. "Support Coordinator"

I worked at Advance Digital full-time

Pros

Most of the people are pleasant to work with, many even quite helpful. Work can be interesting and rewarding. It's fun to see stuff on the internet that you helped create. And even more fun when that thing that you work on at work is something that's helpful in your own life -- like carfinder (Best Local Autos).

Cons

They are not big on training. You kinda get let flapping in the wid and you have to figure out most stuff including the intricacies of politics,

Advice to Management

Let people go to courses to improve their skills. Acknowledge the "little" people who came up with the idea and did a lot of the work, not just the ladder-climbing manager who toots his/her own horn to you.

Advance Digital2018-01-14

"SUPPORT COORDINATOR"

Former Employee - Support Coordinator in Jersey City, NJ

I worked at Advance Digital full-time for less than a year

Pros

Nice building, nice are, close to public transportation.

Cons

There is no training offered to employees. You are basically thrown to the wolves and expected to excel with no guidance or direction. If you make a mistake you will be barked at like a peasant and if you ask questions you will get the "you're an idiot" look. Lots of office politics so nobody can be trusted. Management does not try to help you learn anything or even care. If you're a robot, then this is the place for you.

Advice to Management

Ensure new employees get proper training and that they get assistance when needed. There is clearly no procedure in place and neither employees or management are willing to help

Advance Digital2018-01-19
  6. "Old-school company"

in Jersey City, NJ

I have been working at Advance Digital for more than a year

Pros

Awesome people, great benefits (especially health insurance), and a good company culture that supports teamwork and a healthy work-life balance

Cons

Advance is woefully stingy with vacation time and does not provide work-from-home flexibility. Excessive bureaucracy creates needless hurdles, as every project seemingly needs input from a dozen stakeholders.

Advice to Management

Empower teams to get work done in a timely and efficient manner. Trust and invest in the expertise of your employees.

Advance Digital2017-11-07
  7. "Wonderful place to work"

I have been working at Advance Digital full-time for more than a year

Pros

Friendly, smart coworkers. No drama at all. Excellent treatment of employees. Benefits are great. Fairly simple and easy commute from some places. Casual wear!

Cons

Taxing commute from most places in Jersey. Behind the times on supported technology, (but getting there!)

Advice to Management

Keep going, but have more faith in your employees.

Advance Digital2017-10-18
  8. "Nice place to work, good people"

I worked at Advance Digital full-time

Pros

Good people, the product is the news and local products, so you're producing something useful. Schedules were relatively flexible.

Cons

If commuting by car, it can be hectic. I've worked on projects that didn't see the light of day for quite a well after completion, or projects that were backlogged due to more pressing concerns.

Advice to Management

Embrace a more modular approach to building products across different verticals, so that there's much more consistency between them. Establishing standards was sometimes a losing battle as stakeholders and managers weren't really aware of what's available across the spectrum of different site products/sections, so they wanted something tailored to personal preferences rather than something users had come to expect elsewhere across affiliate sites at a more holistic level.

Advance Digital2017-09-15
  9. "Good work life balance"

Former Employee - Systems Administrator in Jersey City, NJ

I worked at Advance Digital full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good work life balance. Not a strict schedule as long as you do your eight hours.

Cons

Did not really have any

Advance Digital2017-08-13

"Pros and cons abound"

Current Employee - Software Engineer

I have been working at Advance Digital full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

They respect your personal time outside the office. I came from companies that kept me on call 24x7, understaffed my department, and constantly made me clean up after inadequate budgets. As a matured resource with a family, this is important. Also, most of the technical staffers are great to work with, and they attempt to have social events that aren't the typical immature startup kid stuff. Technically they are also on the bleeding edge of AWS deployment technologies, which keeps things interesting. The takeaway is that Advance is a good place to work if you want a stable job without the NYC commute, that lets you have a family life at a reasonable salary.

Cons

All of the cons about working at Advance are related to old school approach of the company, because at its core, it is managed by its parent company which is dominated by news and magazine print leadership that entered the digital media market out of necessity. This results in treating technical resources that are used to a modern technical workforce approach (telecommuting, flexible schedules, etc), as desk drones that punch a clock and prove their worth by sitting at a desk. Their HR policies are strange, and managed by a sister company that complains about 'unexcused absences' making me feel like I'm back in middle school. Their attempts to be more 'Agile' in development have resulted in a lot of bureaucracy and small silo'd 'product' teams that consist of almost half non-technical members. There seems to be more interest in hiring 'coordinators' to make better use of technical resources, than actually just hiring more technical resources to get the work done - but that is a common mistake of larger companies. One of the strangest cons though, is one that I've never experienced a tech job. You practically need to wait for someone to retire or die for any promotion opportunities to present themselves. I've never worked at a tech company with this many "lifers", many of which are misfit toys who have grown soft in their ability to take on new challenges - managers and technical resources alike. The review process is similar in that it rewards mediocrity as a dulling print business would, and does not operate like a tech company.

Advice to Management

Put more faith in your technical resources. Hire more of them and less coordinators. Stop worrying about trying to understand whether you are getting the most work out of them possible by putting layers of coordinators to act as efficiency police. It's counter productive and most of the staff is trustworthy to produce efficiently. And please, put telecommuting and schedules in the hands of the managers and don't restrict them to X days a month, etc. We don't have any equipment in this office and days with no meetings at all sometimes. There's no point when using an Agile based system that easily shows you if someone isn't pulling their weight. Sick days with doctors notes should not be considered 'unexcused absences'. Reward employees that go above and beyond with more than a mudane, pre-directed raise that is almost the same across the board.

Advance Digital2017-04-19