Advanced Acoustic Concepts Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

2.9
Rating Trends Rating Trends
CEO

1. "Good Company to Work For"

Current Employee - Current Employee in Hauppauge, NY
    Current Employee - Current Employee in Hauppauge, NY

I have been working at Advanced Acoustic Concepts full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

When I interviewed I met with 3 people and it went on for about 45 minutes. They told me a lot about the company and I guess what I liked most is that they were honest about where they wanted to improve and no false expectations. People are mostly friendly, benefits are good (closed every other Friday), and work is usually interesting. Work is mostly for US Navy. Sometimes the pace is fast when there are big deadlines and other times it's slower. I have a good manager.

Cons

Government contractor so some work can be repetitive sometimes and the environment is tight on procedures and security. Hardest part is waiting for new contracts or re-competes.

Advice to Management

Support those people who try to make things even better.

2. "Summer Intern"

Former Employee - Engineering Intern in Morgantown, WV
    Former Employee - Engineering Intern in Morgantown, WV

I worked at Advanced Acoustic Concepts part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I only worked here for one summer, but I really enjoyed my time. It's great knowing you're making a difference on the military font. For the most part, I was assisting the other manufacturing engineers and it was extremely gratifying.

Cons

There could certainly be more in the way of on-the-job training.

3. "Production Intern"

Former Employee - Production Intern in Lemont Furnace, PA
    Former Employee - Production Intern in Lemont Furnace, PA

I worked at Advanced Acoustic Concepts (Less than a year)

Pros

Lots of experience with 3D CAD (SketchUp), Microsoft Office, e-mailing, and phone calls. Great work environment with great co-workers who love their jobs. Would often have lunches out. Also, a great company summer picnic. Lots of ages, young, middle, and older ages.

Cons

I wanted more direct engineering experience on my first internship. Would've liked to see more production experience; instead got more sales and planning experience.

Advice to Management

Great work with the job that was offered. Give interns more of a chance to prove themselves.

5. "Intern/Co-Op"

Current Employee - Intern/Co-op in Monessen, PA
    Current Employee - Intern/Co-op in Monessen, PA

I have been working at Advanced Acoustic Concepts part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Easy and Interesting Work. Good First Job for college and high school students.

Cons

Not too many complaints. Limited ability to move up the ladder.

Advice to Management

Quality > Quantity

6. "Well managed company"

Former Employee - Principal Engineer in Hauppauge, NY
    Former Employee - Principal Engineer in Hauppauge, NY

Pros

AAC's senior management includes some of the smartest guys in the business.

Cons

Long Island is a hard sell for people that didn't grow up there.

Advice to Management

If it ain't broke...

7. "Poor Management at NY facility"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Hauppauge, NY
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Hauppauge, NY

Pros

Reasonably friendly staff, though some are flat out hostile. HR was good.

Cons

Management does not allocate work effectively. When I started I literally sat at my cube for weeks before projects were assigned to me. I consistently sought out work with no help.
    Some staff member were unapproachable and would deliberately lead you down the wrong path to make you look bad.

"Just a bunch of smoke and mirrors"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lemont Furnace, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lemont Furnace, PA

Pros

Interesting work. Friendly co-workers. Flexible hours and generous PTO allocation.

Cons

The omnipotent, self-appointed President, all knowing, do what I say, " I saved Fayette County by giving low paying manufacturing jobs to young adults" Director of Production is a joke. If another manufacturing company were to open up, 50% of the workforce would leave in a heart beat. Unfortunately, many are there to collect a paycheck and not develop a career.

Advice to Management

You cannot have one entity be in charge of buying an item, receiving the item, inspecting the item, then building an assembly. Where are the checks and balances? Just multiple layers of CYA to cover lower manager's lack of leadership and make the Director's numbers look good. All credit to the Director of Production, he has pulled the wool over the eyes of upper management for years.

"Poor Leadership"

Former Employee - Procurement & Manufacturing Engineer I in Morgantown, WV
    Former Employee - Procurement & Manufacturing Engineer I in Morgantown, WV

I worked at Advanced Acoustic Concepts (More than a year)

Pros

Casual, laid back environment; great schedule (i.e. off every other Friday, lots of company holidays and floating holidays); manufacturing end use items for the military is gratifying.

Cons

Dysfunctional management. There are too many mid-level mangers making conflicting decisions that leave lower level employees caught in the cross hairs when something goes wrong. Management's culture is that of taking all of the credit and none of the blame when issues arise. Additionally, there is also no room for advancement within the company unless you are part of the "inner circle", which is extremely difficult to become a part of because hard work isn't enough to get the recognition and visibility necessary for inclusion. This company has a lot of potential, but is falling short of being an ideal place to work.

Advice to Management

Drastically improve training and mentoring of new hires. End the "trial by fire" approach. You may actually be able to keep more of your staff and lower the turnover.

"Full Time"

Current Employee - Full Time in Hauppauge, NY
    Current Employee - Full Time in Hauppauge, NY

I have been working at Advanced Acoustic Concepts full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great teamwork environment, many happy long-term employees, and interesting and/or challenging work most of the time. Strong upper management. Middle management is mixed - what you often see in a smaller company- some really strong, some more junior. With DRS/Thales, this company is only getting better and stronger (good resources). 9/80 compressed work schedule (every other Friday off) and great benefits. Management is open to new, innovative ideas and changes. HR is really improving.

Cons

Some projects are more interesting than others. You would have to understand that you might not always be on the most interesting projects but if you can stay committed and motivate yourself, you should be fine. Some unhappy employees could contribute more but don't. They will stay and complain and complain... PTO time could be better.

"A lot of very smart people that work really hard to make a difference"

Former Employee - Director in Hauppauge, NY
    Former Employee - Director in Hauppauge, NY

I worked at Advanced Acoustic Concepts full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Leading edge technology in system integration, training systems and software development. The engineers there really work hard to meet the program schedules. The senior management really tried to address company issues and do whats best for the employees.

Cons

The selling of the company to DRS really changed the dynamics of the company. It wasn't the same company that I had joined when I was first hired.

Advice to Management

none really, it was a pleasure to have worked there and would work for any of the senior management people again if the started another interest.