Advanced Correctional Healthcare Reviews | Glassdoor

Norman R. Johnson, M.D.

"Physician"

Current Employee - Physician
    Current Employee - Physician

I have been working at Advanced Correctional Healthcare full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This company sincerely is about "doing the right thing" for the patients and at the same time, eliminating wasteful spending . Yes, quality of healthcare CAN be improved for less cost by just being prudent and aware . ( i personally go to walmart for my prescriptions!) The CEO is an MD who is double boarded in internal medicine and addiction medicine. His background is critical to the mission of the company. I am proud to work for a company who's mission statement isn't just a marketing tool. The training programs provided by ACH for custody, nursing and practitioners leads the industry.

Cons

There is some travel involved if going to multiple sites

Advice to Management

Keep up the training! Sending out birthday cards, Christmas cards etc., and a robust recognition program really does mean a lot to people.

Mar 8, 2017 – Employee Relations Manager

We are delighted by your positive review. We work really hard at providing top notch training for all of our employees and greatly value our recognition program. Thank you for taking the time to ... More

"ACH is a Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Peoria, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Peoria, IL

Pros

There is so much support within ACH. I know that if I need assistance, I always have someone to turn to within the company. I feel like I truly "fit" here and have found my niche and the career I was searching for all this time. The people make a huge difference. I have fantastic co-workers and amazing bosses.

Cons

I have very few cons because the company sees our suggestion and constantly works to fulfill our requests. This company truly listens to our opinions and tries to make changes where the employees request, as long as it is in the best interest of our patients and the majority of our staff.

Advice to Management

Management is great. Most managers are very hands-off and don't micromanage. They just expect you to get the work done and as long as you produce the expected results, you are good to go! The standards are set high and it is up to each employee to keep their standards high. Dr. Johnson, Mrs. Johnson, Sherri, and all the VPs do an amazing job of making sure everyone is taken care of and feels like they contribute.

Feb 20, 2017 – Employee Relations Manager

WOW! Thank you for all those kind words regarding your experience working for ACH! Having obtained our Great Place to Work certification by Fortune last year, you are not alone in stating that ACH ... More

"Site Nurse Manager"

Current Employee - Licensed Practical Nurse
    Current Employee - Licensed Practical Nurse

I have been working at Advanced Correctional Healthcare full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Excellent company to work for. I was given plenty of training, orientation, and support for my position and transition into this company from a competing company. Correctional Nursing is a difficult and challenging environment and this company gives you a firm background, education and common sense application to providing quality medical care to an overwhelmingly sick, addictive and at times manipulative population of individuals.

Cons

The inmates tend to be manipulative and at times demanding. Depending on what is going on a twelve hour shift can turn into a fourteen hour shift.

Feb 20, 2017 – Employee Relations Manager

Thank you for such a wonderful review. We pride ourselves on providing great support and training to all of our employees. We love that you understand the significance of helping the underserved ... More

"Nurse Practitioner"

Current Employee - Nurse Practitioner in Wichita, KS
    Current Employee - Nurse Practitioner in Wichita, KS

Pros

I have the ability to work independently in the care of the inmates that I see. I have flexibility of when I make my visits to the facilities that I am responsible for. I feel like I am a valuable employee to ACH and provide a valuable service to both the inmates and the facility. Most of the inmates are very appreciative of the care provided as well.

Cons

Some facility officers are not quite sure of what calls should be made for protocols during the night but are usually the newer officers who are not secure in what they should call about but is usually just a lack of their training and resolves over time.

Advice to Management

More frequent and better communication regarding changes in recommended care and new protocols to providers.

Feb 20, 2017 – Employee Relations Manager

Thank you for your review. Please know that we are always looking at ways we can improve our communication. Our intranet and ADP websites house a lot of information including policy, procedures, and ... More

"It's Not Work if You Love What You Do!"

Current Employee - QUALIFIED MENTAL HEALTH PROFESSIONAL in New Albany, IN
    Current Employee - QUALIFIED MENTAL HEALTH PROFESSIONAL in New Albany, IN

Pros

They say it’s not work if you love what you do. Well I love what I do and I love ACH. I have worked in the mental health field for almost 20 years and in correctional setting for the past 4 years. I have never worked in any position where I have so much autonomy while feeling so supported by my supervisors in my entire career. I am empowered in my position to grow and make decisions all the while knowing that my supervisor (and corporate staff) has my back. I feel like my thoughts and opinions are heard and valued. The pay and benefits are just icing on the cake.

Cons

While I work daily with medical/nursing staff I am the only QMHP in this area. This limits face to face collaboration with colleagues.

"Team"

Current Employee - Licensed Practical Nurse in Salem, IL
    Current Employee - Licensed Practical Nurse in Salem, IL

I have been working at Advanced Correctional Healthcare part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Even though I am the sole medical personnel in my county jail, there is teamwork, support, and communication within the company. If I need anything I can call my regional or any department heads for help. The flexibility is amazing. I am able to have a family life plus an amazing job. This is the first company that I have worked for where I feel acknowledged and a part of the team. I can proudly say I love my job and look forward to work everyday. No where else as a nurse have I been able to use a wide variety of my skills and stay up to date with those skills.

Cons

1. The job is very demanding due to the growth of inmates coming in daily with medical issues and there are days that it is hard to get everything done before shift ends.
    2. Officers need more training for when nursing staff is not in the facility and when new officers come in.

Advice to Management

I love my management team!

Feb 20, 2017 – Employee Relations Manager

Thank you so much. We love that you love your management team. Please do not hesitate to contact us here at Corporate or your supervisor when you have questions. We are always here to help!

"LOVE MY JOB!"

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Peoria, IL
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Peoria, IL

I have been working at Advanced Correctional Healthcare (More than 3 years)

Pros

This company is very flexible in granting time off when needed, through flex time or PTO. The pay is good, as are the benefits. Everyone is friendly and works as a team. It is a relaxed environment. I enjoy coming to work!

Cons

I have no cons that come to mind.

"Exciting, Growing Company with Dedicated Leaders"

Pros

While I have not been with the company as long as some, it was very clear to me even in the interview process how dedicated and motivated the leaders and supervisors of this company are. From the CEO to my direct supervisor, even down to the staff in the corporate office, everyone is truly committed and loyal to ACH and making them continue to grow and be successful.

It is rare that you find a company, especially in this industry, that truly cares about and supports the success of their employees both in the field and in the office.

Senior Management is receptive, responsive, and proactive when it comes to fixing problems and coming up with solutions to prevent issues in the future.

Overall, I believe this company has a bright, growing future ahead of them and it is exciting to be part of the team and able to contribute to their success.

Cons

Benefits were a little more expensive than what I was used to, but HR has made efforts to keep them reasonable.

"Physician"

Current Employee - Part Time Physician
    Current Employee - Part Time Physician

I have been working at Advanced Correctional Healthcare part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Very organized, CEO is on top of things and very hands on, corporate responsive to and invites feedback, good pay, frequent corporate meetings to ensure everyone is on the same page, management knows how to show appreciation for their employees, seminars offered not just for practitioners but supervisors and nonmedical jail staff for proper healthcare delivery

Cons

organic assignments, widespread and continually expanding, requires travelling long distances

Advice to Management

I think Dr. Johnson is doing an excellent job. He has vision and direction and knows how to lead his company.

Feb 20, 2017 – Employee Relations Manager

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a review. We greatly appreciate your kind words regarding Dr. Johnson. We feel he is doing an excellent job, too!

11. "Rewarding Place to Work"

I have been working at Advanced Correctional Healthcare full-time

Pros

Unlike other places I have worked, ACH has a very simple request from their employees - To always Do the Right Thing! As an employee of less than a year, I always have someone to turn to if I don't understand something or don't know which direction to go. I have not met anyone in the company, from Dr. Johnson on down, that is not willing to stop what they are doing to give a hand to a co-worker (from the top on down). This company truly wants their employees to succeed.

Cons

So far, I have not found a negative about working for this company. Many employers show their true colors after the "honeymoon" period. If this is true, this company shows how much they truly care about their employees, from day one and all the days to come.

Advice to Management

Management is doing a great job. They keep people informed and treat all people equally. They really are A Great Place to Work!