Advanced Energy Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated November 27, 2016

2.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Yuval Wasserman

Pros
  • There is flexibility for work/life balance (in 3 reviews)

• With any company there are good people but many are leaving or have already left (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • upper management is controlled byt Marketing and causes disastrous changes (in 3 reviews)

• Employees not valued, customer barely valued, all that matters is shareholder value (in 3 reviews)

1. "Material handler"

Former Freelancer - Material Handler/Forklift Operator in Fort Collins, CO
    Former Freelancer - Material Handler/Forklift Operator in Fort Collins, CO

I worked at Advanced Energy (More than a year)

Pros

Enjoyed working with others; I liked that the company trusted me the responsibility to make sure products were shipped at a timely fashion.

Cons

It was a contracted job. I would of liked to have been employed permanently.

Advice to Management

If I'm a good candidate for the position for the company. Please contact me via mobile phone.
    Thanks

2. "MTS"

I have been working at Advanced Energy full-time

Pros

Interesting dynamics with RF customers

Cons

Too many day to day panics

"Cronyism is Rampant"

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at Advanced Energy full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

With any company there are good people but many are leaving or have already left. Good company for people who want to get paid for doing fancy reports and presentations and no real work. This culture will eventually impact the bottom line.

Cons

I saw a post on this site on AE cronyism and decided to speak up because it is true. Way too much cronyism - mgmt. with no qualifications and the real achievers are or will eventually move on. Anyone can downsize a company and make it profitable in the short term. Anyone can lose valuable employees and claim its due to restructuring. High turnover is on a global scale - perhaps organizational decline? Many unqualified cronies are taking credit for ideas, work and accomplishments they had nothing to do with or managing business functions far beyond their qualifications/experience. Its unfortunate to see good, long standing, profitable businesses being eroded - its either intentional or by ignorance (result of cronyism).

Advice to Management

AE you are losing your best talent and you are making a reputation for yourself Goodwill takes time before it shows on the bottom line. Maybe you don't care because your in it for the short term?

"Pulled me in"

Former Employee - Management Advisor in West Hartford, CT
    Former Employee - Management Advisor in West Hartford, CT

I worked at Advanced Energy (More than a year)

Pros

Remote, able to go 15 hours daily or 6 hours

Cons

Chopped my income drastically even though all requirements met. not a good deal. Did it again. Did not have manpower to install jobs 40 miles from their base. Not good for company, but who cares when you get a $2MM deal. Tarnished my reputation. I moved on...

Advice to Management

They do not need any. Good ol boy network

"Shareholder Goddamn Value"

Former Employee - Engineer
    Former Employee - Engineer

I worked at Advanced Energy full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Decent pay for the region
    Work with great peers

Cons

Employees not valued, customer barely valued, all that matters is shareholder value.
    The previous CEO and solar division president made short term decisions to boost stock price, and now the solar division is shut down.
    Current CEO doesn't seem to be much better.

Advice to Management

Start valuing your employees and maybe produce something that one can be proud of, instead of Chinese quality issues and poor design choices. Crazy, I know. I'm like that.

"Advanced Energy, Fort Collins"

Current Employee - Senior Test Engineer in Fort Collins, CO
    Current Employee - Senior Test Engineer in Fort Collins, CO

Pros

It was a good place to work on LabView skills and RF expertise. Good autonomy and lots of responsibility. Chance to travel to China.

Cons

No extra compensation for travel even though gone for more than a month. Large workload and long hours expected/needed to hit anywhere close to performance expectations. This company hires and fires on a regular basis.

Advice to Management

I understand the need to respond to market fluxuations, but the constant hiring and firing burns out the people left and causes a loss of respect for the company. You get rid of the good with the bad. Try keeping the good and firing the bad.

"Unstable environment for employees."

I worked at Advanced Energy full-time

Pros

Talented people in a tough environment.

Cons

High bonus payouts to executives, while staff don't see much.

Advice to Management

Remember it's the employees that make the company.

9. "Great mission, poor senior leadership"

I worked at Advanced Energy full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great mission, good team to work with, good program managers, good work/life balance.

Cons

Very poor senior management - top talent (leaders and staff) left or leaving. Poor communication to staff; hence, it seems like decisions are reactionary and not well thought out. Lack of vision and long range plan. Seems to be directed by electric utilities opposed to representing the interest of the rate payers.

Advice to Management

Communicate more with staff. Share corporate vision and plan - more than just high-level power-point slides. Anyone can make those, what is the real plan behind them. Do more for the rate payers instead of the utilities.

10. "For Technicians, assemblers and other non engineers- temp to unemployed is their most common offering."

Former Contractor - Repair Technician in Fort Collins, CO
    Former Contractor - Repair Technician in Fort Collins, CO

I worked at Advanced Energy as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

They somehow manage to keep a base of regular workers that are great people. Since technicians are usually talented and motivated people even the many temps are great to work with. If you are a veteran, even an older one, you have a better chance there. Pay was okay but not stellar through the temp agency. The training was great when they brought me in the first time, but they will do little to refresh anything when/if you come back. The tools to do the job are generally available, but special tools are scarce. If you can carve out a niche all the better. The power supplies they build are very interesting to learn about and technologically advanced. I have little personal knowledge of their solar side.

Cons

They bring their techs in as temps and let them go when they can no longer get away with not hiring them, or when they feel like it even if you are quite busy. In my case the first time was around 18 months, the second much less. I worked there multiple times. They will call you and tell you not to come in right before your shift, so don't leave any valuables in your locker. I hear they are outsourcing their Design work to India. They will keep bringing you back for more if you are willing to be used and kicked to the curb again and again. You will hear rumors that they are about to convert the temps to regulars, then you will get a call to not come back. It isn't personal, it is AE, and the culture sucks. The shareholder is all that matters, people are just tools to use and toss aside. The work environment is crowded and if you feel safe there you are crazy. People will be bumping into you as you work on high-voltage, high-power equipment. You will spend much time looking for a service carts upon which to place the unit you plan to service. You won't like it as you have to charge that stupid waste of time to the customer or else look inefficient. Sometimes your cart and even the unit on it will "disappear" making for more searching. Their repair process is cumbersome, but in some ways the system does work well. You will sometimes hope you didn't miss something because it can get very complicated. The regulars won't freely share knowledge with you, what they know and you don't is why they are there for the long haul. Tribal knowledge is possibly the only job security in AE. This seems to be the key to staying there. They will outsource the same jobs again and again, and then bring them back for a while. Expect to be cut at any time.

Advice to Management

Bring the jobs back. Shipping things back and forth to China is inefficient and a stupid waste of time, money, and energy. The customers deserve better, remember them? They pay the bills, not the shareholders. Even though upper management seems it couldn't care less about Americans and American jobs, there are a lot of us that would like to see AE grow and continue to excel in the marketplace. Fix your crappy culture, if you maintain a loyal US workforce with AE's best interests in mind, you will have a powerful base on which to build a future. You aren't alone in losing IP everyday due to outsourcing to countries that are happy to steal the technology you send them. Why not be different and protect it? You lose talent by abusing the people that want to make things better. You have changed temp agencies, is that because the old one couldn't persuade any of your former victims to sign up for another round of abuse? Stop ruling the employees with fear for their jobs and try looking at the big picture. The company is it's people, not it's upper managers and shareholders.

11. "A company in change and not in a good way"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Collins, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Collins, CO

I worked at Advanced Energy full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great Technical and Engineering People

Cons

Self absorbed upper management ( VP and above) that only knows how to how to cut cost in order to increase the stock price to a target of $27 per share. The founder of the company wants to sell the company and move on.

Advice to Management

Take responsibility for your actions. Also it is time to change upper management!