Advanced Medical Reviews Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.2
Megan Kaufman

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Commendable improvement over the last year or so"

Current Employee - Medical Review Coordinator in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Medical Review Coordinator in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Advanced Medical Reviews full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I wrote a mixed review a few years ago that I would like to replace. AMR has gotten much, much better than it was when I started. The company has recently gotten new corporate owners (a process that AMR management handled very well) that made our health/vision/dental insurance significantly simpler and better than it ever was before. We also get some amount of life and spousal insurance for very good rates. The corporate acquisition pushed some people in and out of the management team, 95% for the better. The CEO has done as good a job as he can to be transparent to the employees at all levels about what's going on and where the company is headed. The managers of the Operations department are better than they've ever been.
    The MRC job continues to be a good, first-job-out-of-college experience that gives you good opportunity to grow in and then hopefully out of the position. Talented employees in the Ops department wind up working with relatively loose supervision once they show competency. Very talented employees either become managers or project leads within Operations or get promoted to Client Accounts, Sales, or IT positions. With the new corporate acquisition, there are more opportunities than ever to advance within the company.
    My previous review of the company stated that bad employees have a way of lingering, and they still do to a degree, but I've seen a number of instances lately where they've trimmed the fat to the betterment of the team overall.
    The new office space is visually dull (they're working on it!), but a huge improvement over the old office. There is now a modicum of privacy and sound isolation when you work, but also some common areas where you can meet when needed.

Cons

In its contractual negotiations, AMR is increasingly going down the rabbit hole of high volume, low margin work. As a result, the company is becoming obsessed with shaving off an inconsequential second or two here and there and automating things in ways that aren't helpful. It's stressing the employees out and it may be leading to sloppier work.
    Entry level pay could still be higher. ExamWorks nixed 401k matching, which is a bummer even if that is partially offset by getting much better healthcare.
    Critical support groups for the company (e.g. Client Accounts department, IT) seem to be chronically understaffed. You can request something of IT and not hear back for days or weeks or maybe ever. They're working as fast as they can, but they are down to a skeleton staff and can't adequately respond to the requests. Same for Client Accounts. Same (to a lesser degree these days) for Clinical Services.
    Within the Operations department, the management team vacillates on the subject of working remotely; for a while, everyone as going remote, but now they're really clamping down on it. It's unclear what causes the attitude toward remote working to shift back and forth, but I wish they'd land and stay on the side of letting people go remote. If you're not in the Operations department, working remotely is the norm.

Advice to Management

Fight back on the low margin, high volume style contracts. Put an emphasis on quality of work, not getting a medical review done every 30 seconds for the sake of quick bucks. Continue being open and transparent with the employees about direction of the company and pay and incentives. Push ExamWorks to reinstate 401k matching, as this omission makes AMR a significantly less advantageous place to work. Continue trimming employees that aren't helpful to the team and find ways to more compellingly reward the people who are helping. Continue listening to the input of your employees, as I think that has made a big difference over the last year or so.

"Worker"

Pros

It was a great way of networking.

Cons

Management is a all over the place. People are favored, and you will only be liked if you played the politic game. It's like any other company, so play your cards right and you might get where you want. There isn't much growth for anyone unless someone leaves.

Advice to Management

You should be honest with integrity and actually be sincere with your words

Jun 21, 2016 – CEO

Thank you for your review.

Let me start by saying that the management team and I have worked hard over the past few years to create a transparent culture, where we encourage open communication in... More

"Company is growing...A lot of changes but overall a great place to work."

Former Employee - Operations in Santa Monica, CA
    Former Employee - Operations in Santa Monica, CA

Pros

1. Work from Home
    2. Staff is very nice and helpful
    3. Challenging
    4. Ability to make an impact in patients lives
    5. Great Benefits

Cons

1. Low Pay
    2. Raises usually range from 30 to 60 cents per year
    3. May work Holidays
    4. Very Little Training
    5. Micromanagement

Advice to Management

Identify your department's goals, and determine the resources needed to achieve them.
    Get to know each individual's needs, and find out what drives them.
    Observe each direct report's behavior to determine if there is sufficient knowledge, skill and motivation for the individual to complete the task.
    Delegate tasks and responsibilities to meet the department's objectives.
    Set clear expectations, understood by both you and your staff.
    Coach the individual for improved performance and his own professional development.

"Medical Review Coordinator"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at Advanced Medical Reviews full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There hasn't been a Glassdoor review written since the sale of AMR to Exam Works in late January 2016, so I thought I'd chime in to give new prospective applicants a fresh insight. It is still early in the acquisition process, so things might change and Ill add another review in a few months. The positives: If you have medical experience or majored in anything health-field related in college, you'll find the work is not too challenging. If you do not, you will struggle. Basically you process medical appeals from insurance companies all day – not the most exciting job in the world but if you’re semi interested in healthcare you’ll get some enjoyment out of it. The #1 benefit of this job was the opportunity to work from home – not anymore. If you are a recent college grad looking for a place that will hire you with no experience – this is the place for you. If you have any experience after college whatsoever in the medical field (biology, chemistry, nursing) don’t apply – you can get a higher paying job elsewhere (a lot of people quit once they realize this). The double edge sword to this is that once you start working here for 1+ years, you’ll find no one outside medical appeal companies will want to hire you because you don’t have experience with anything else other than this specific realm of healthcare. In summary, the pros to this company are: #1 that they hire recent grads or those with little to no experience, #2 the work isn’t too hard, and that is about it. A lot of people have commented that at least the management is trying to improve things, but this is more a façade than a pro.

Cons

Quite a few cons, hence the 2 stars. I probably would’ve rated AMR as 3.5 stars a few months ago. But the merger lost AMR a star because my #1 con is the sale of AMR to EW. Here is why: AMR is in a unique state of flux as any company is when a Fortune 500 company acquires them. First, I was not impressed by the EW execs when they visited. They dodged all questions with the typical political ruse of misdirection. According to Yahoo! Finance, both made close to $1mil/year, and they acted like it. Second, I feel like the founders of AMR are taking the take the money and run approach. But according to our CEO, they’ve “earned it”. Third, EW has absolutely awful benefits - just look at their Glassdoor page, it is their #1 complaint - no 401K matching, unable to opt out of vision coverage, poor healthcare options, etc. - typical Fortune 500 ploys to improve the bottom line. AMR used to have great benefits (floating holiday, 3% 401k matching, etc). When I first started at AMR, I felt the small business family feeling. It is gone now. My #2 con overall is that the management does not let staff work remote anymore. I work in the office and I don’t understand why were not allowed to work remote. Traffic is awful, especially around the office. Commuting is one of the worst parts of this job. And you’re not allowed to work shifts other than 8-5 or 9-6 because of “company needs”. In my opinion, every company has needs, some just care more about offering flexible shifts than others (AMR used to be one of them). There are some people who are allowed to work remote, but no one seems to know why. AMR has all the capabilities to let employees to work from home (and you think it would save them money to do so), but management claims they are harder to account for and training them is harder and there are more costs with remote people? I do not agree because AMR has pretty good productivity measures in place so it baffles me that it is that hard to keep track of remote people - if they aren't working, fire them. My #3 overall con: literally ZERO incentives. It is like no one has ever heard of the word incentive. I guess management says they are not in the budget. Yearly bonus? Its completely dependent on the competence of your coworkers. My #4 overall con: management really has no idea what they are doing. Many of the Team Leads (the supervisor to this position) quit recently under unknown circumstances. Instead of being experts for our questions and helping us process cases when volume is high, they just kind of micromanage and audit us to make sure were not loosing the company too much money. Above them are the department directors who are particularly awful at explaining anything and good luck if you can even get any management figure in a meeting. Which brings me to my #5 overall con: no room for growth. After you are out of training, the only thing you can be promoted to is Team Lead, Sales, or rarely a tech spot will open up. I have heard no one wants to be a Team Lead because the department directors are slave drivers and you really don’t get to do anything other than middle management work. Sales is not a promotion because they make the same as we do (maybe $3000 more a year because of commission) and you know… its sales… Most people just end up finding other jobs. Management says the lack of vertical growth is not a problem because in exchange they give us a lot of opportunities to develop skills that are transferrable. My #6 con: the only thing that matters to management is the bottom line. Did you meet your prod for today? Well that sucks because if you didn’t you will hear about it. All we’ve been hearing lately is profitability and about how EW needs us to double it (see literally ANY article about corporate greed). My #7 con, we have to complain (a lot) to get anything. Remember those portal upgrades? Remember when we had to take significant time out of our day to document every single slowdown? Remember how there were a lot of people telling you it was happening months before? I do. Remember when we were told they were going to build the break room at night but no one bothered to get an actual quote to realize that its wayyyyy more expensive to employ night construction crews? My #8 con (and honestly, this should be higher on the list): the pay is absurdly low for the intensity and complexity of the work. Usually they start you at $16/hour and after you are out of training (90-180 days) they’ll bump up your pay by $1 or so. I’ve asked the most senior MRCs and they only make $19/hour. Management says pay is comparable to similar jobs in the area but 1) we are a niche market (independent medical reviews) so comparable jobs are hard to compare to (you cant exactly just search “medical reviewer coordinator” and get a ton of results) and 2) the entry level healthcare jobs in the area that I’ve searched for actually pay $1-2 more per hour. Again, see the earlier part about high turnover rate.

Advice to Management

Let more people go remote. Fnd room the budget for incentives. Actually meet with employees and let them tell you if their superiors are doing a good job or not – don’t just always listen to what the department directors and Team Leads are telling you. Make people actually want to move up in the company instead of look for other jobs. There is a lot of valuable talent at your disposal. More than I think you know. But you let a lot of it slip from our hands. Sure, we probably can’t complete when some of our employees leave us to work for Google, but can we at least try a little harder? Because right now it is kind of a no brainer. Tell management to loosen the chains a little. And if not, if we are going to whipped that the only thing that matters is the bottom line, could we at least be rewarded a little for when we meet it? And I’m not talking about annual 31 cent raises or $50 gift cards for when we do a good job. I’m talking about more paid time off, annual $1 raises, monthly $100 bonuses, tuition, gym, or travel reimbursement, or literally anything. I know there is room in the budget. Especially if we trim some of the fat. And if there isn’t room, could we at least get a breakdown of why? Maybe not waste meeting time over it, but at least have it be open to everyone (kind of like the US budget – its long and complex, but if you want to read it go for it). One last thing (and this is a kind of pet peeve of mine) – meetings – we have too many of them. And they are not an efficient use of our time. The more people the more inefficient. The last meeting I was in took 15 minutes to start. I calculated that it cost the company $300 with the amount of people that were just waiting around (see earlier comment about excess fat). I’m a social person but even I would prefer an email over some of the snoozers we call departmental meetings. An email summary about everything that needs to be talked about would save everyone time. If I have questions, I can email them. I think our meetings should be “fireside chat” only. That is the only necessary time when we all need to be together to talk about stuff – and if no one brings anything to the table after 5 minutes, meeting over. Two more pet peeves of mine: 1) group brainstorming does not work – research shows it does not. Please stop making us do this. Please look up the study recently published in Basic and Supplied Social Psychology for this article. 2) please tell IT to stop making us change our passwords. There is an ASTOUNDING amount of research that has shown that the more often employees are forced to change their passwords, the LESS secure the network is (this is because they have to resort writing the passwords down next to their computer – I do this). This is like network security 101 c’mon, stop this.

Mar 19, 2016 – CEO

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts about the experience here at Advanced Medical Reviews (AMR) post-merger with ExamWorks. Certainly it is an exciting time for us, as well as, a... More

5. "Medical Review Coordinator"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA

I worked at Advanced Medical Reviews full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Initially had great opportunity for flexibility and the ability to work from home
    -Different shifts available
    -Snack every other week
    -Office gatherings every once in a while

Cons

-Anal about communication (demand that after an email, you should email back literally 2 seconds after you get it) (do they forget that you have a million things to do?)
    -Go back on their word frequently ( let you go remote (work from home) and then say that they do not prefer you to have that option
    -High achievers circle is BS! That list is not accurate at all! And for the people who do get in it, the company does not do anything special for them except for the occasional overtime
    -Care more about productivity than the employees
    -One of the newer team leads is not up to par and takes the job waaaayy too seriously (needs more training)

"Good Company and Improving"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Advanced Medical Reviews full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- A lot of great people work here
    - The company is striving to improve processes and working conditions
    - Stable company
    - Internal growth opportunity
    - Work from home opportunities
    - Good benefits
    - Quarterly events and Holiday parties

Cons

- Office could be nicer, could provide more beverages and snacks (although it is improving especially since the office move)
    - Lack of communication between departments

7. "A growing company"

Pros

Company is growing so that will give employees with determination and drive room for advancement. The management has been working diligently over the last 2 years to improve company structure and the results are now showing. I would highly recommend this company for individuals who are interested in healthcare and healthcare management. They provide a ton of perks for their employees, many that you will not find at other companies of this size and is this business sector. Overall a great place to work.

Cons

Office can be too quiet. It would be great to find a way to add a bit more energy.

"Medical Review Coordinator"

Former Employee - Medical Review Coordinator in Santa Monica, CA
    Former Employee - Medical Review Coordinator in Santa Monica, CA

I worked at Advanced Medical Reviews full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Some good benefits were stated online and AMR cares for the quality of care of their patients.

Cons

Unethical healthcare organization! The job description stated entry level experience and received an email that my qualifications did not meet their requirements, which is bizarre because I have related health care work experience. The pay is $16.00 which is ridiculous for the amount of job that needs to be completed. I am NEVER applying for small healthcare organizations!!

Advice to Management

N/A

"Impressive positive shift in company in past couple years"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at Advanced Medical Reviews full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Management has been taking strides to revamp the culture at the company for a couple of years now and I think things are greatly improved and now a very positive place to work. The schedule flexibility and options to work remote/independently are very nice and the people working here are a bunch of really smart and friendly people.

Cons

The traffic can be tough, but where isn't it?

Advice to Management

Keep doing what your doing to make the employees feel welcomed and appreciated

"Unethical Business Practices"

Former Employee - Medical Review Coordinator II in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Medical Review Coordinator II in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Advanced Medical Reviews full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexibility with regard to schedule and working from home. Great coworkers. Easy to be hired since the Review Coordinator job requires no experience.

Cons

Owners of the company were incompetent and made decisions without consulting the ground troops. Massive communications issues and gross violations of ethical standards. I left after a year and a half there once I realized how deep things ran and how changes would not be made. I had no job lined up for after I left, but I just couldn't stand to work there anymore.

Advice to Management

It's been a while since I've been there, so I'm not sure what changes (if any) have been made. If the same people are still running that business, then my recommendation would be for them to step down from leadership roles and let someone who knows how to properly run a business take over.

Jul 17, 2015 – CEO

It's a little difficult to respond to your review since I don't know how long ago you left us. However, let me say that since I assumed the role of CEO two years ago, the executive team has made it a... More