Advanced Resource Managers (ARM) Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Advanced Resource Managers (ARM) CEO Mike Gawthorne
Mike Gawthorne

1. "So far so good!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Havant, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Havant, England (UK)

I have been working at Advanced Resource Managers (ARM) full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I've been with ARM for four months and can honestly say I love it. There is an incredibly positive and generous culture within the company - you wouldn't believe the amount of rewards, prizes, vouchers and even the odd £50 note which gets given away. There are some lovely people here, many of whom are really engaged with everything that my manager and I are doing.

Cons

Technology is a little cumbersome and frustrating, compared with what I'm used to, but I understand why processes and IT policies need to be locked down, as we're dealing with personal information.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing. It's incredibly refreshing for management to take the time to say 'thank you' - even Mike, the CEO, stops by to thank you for a job well done. It makes such a difference!

2. "A lot better agencies out there"

Former Employee - Recruitment Consultant
    Former Employee - Recruitment Consultant

I worked at Advanced Resource Managers (ARM) full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Run frequent incentive schemes quarterly (trips away, time off, financial rewards) but the same 5 or 6 people win every time.
    - Have a core group of 5-10 great recruiters across the company. These people are generally kept as Consultants rather than promoted to management (trapped by the commission!) and are very good in encouraging others.
    - The possibility to earn some very good money! The top 5 or so recruiters will be earning excellent commission.
    - Very friendly people

Cons

- Constantly changing procedures
    - incentive schemes seem geared up to continually reward the same people rather than new people joining and growing desks.
    - Management stuck in the past. The Management of the business have almost entirely been successful recruiters in the 90's but have little idea of day-to-day recruitment today.
    - Very aggressive sales focus with KPI's for every metric you could imagine. The approach is very much driven to getting as much volume out the door with the hope something will stick rather than considered on what your desk would benefit most from.
    - Extremely cut throat. I have seen people paraded as hero's one quarter for achieve 200% to target and then put on performance review the next. In my team of 10-15 people, 5 of us were stable in our roles there with the other desks constantly filled with new people given a few months to bill and then replaced if not successful.

Advice to Management

Trust your consultants to do what is best for their desks.
    Re-design the KPI's.
    Invest more time in your trainees and new starters. Give them more time.

3. "Fading star, revolving door, micro mgt, tight with £'s."

Former Employee - Former Management in Portsmouth, South East England, England (UK)

I worked at Advanced Resource Managers (ARM) full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Nice offices, great back office teams, good niches, some talented recruiters who should be trusted more to excel. Good brands, trusted by some long term customers.

Cons

For a few years it has been going backwards, some good people left and were treated poorly - and there is one common denominator - the MD's and Board. Over-engineered everything - compliance, schemes (very poor to almost everything else I've seen since) etc, feels like people are scared & not trusted, rather than trusted & allowed to express themselves.

5. "Recruitment consultant"

Pros

20 years heritage, some great long term customers

Cons

Management are almost too reactive and try to re invent the wheel to solve minor issues

Advice to Management

Develop a consistent strategy that people can buy into, do not overhaul this stately everytime you decide to 'fix' something.

6. "ARM"

I worked at Advanced Resource Managers (ARM) full-time

Pros

Good brand, good training, some talented people in the company

Cons

KPI'ed to the extreme, low basic salary vs other recruitment businesses in the area, slash and burn hiring approach at junior level/possibly senior also.

7. "Revolving Door"

Former Employee - Resourcer in Havant, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Resourcer in Havant, England (UK)

I worked at Advanced Resource Managers (ARM) full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Pleasant office environment, some friendly people. Initial training was a good introduction but very basic and not tailored to each individual (a crash course in ‘old school’ recruitment)…

Cons

Joined as a resourcer under several account managers – one of whom quit half way through my probation – nullifying all of the work I’d done for them in the last couple of months. Account managers were less than helpful and each treated their work as ‘most important’ and having no time for anyone else. Further to that, little communication or additional close training meant that It essentially became luck as to who saw success and who did not, based on who they worked with / what jobs they were given to work.

Awful human resources at the time. Had a team leader meeting around 10am to discuss progress and agree an action plan… then called in to HR 30 minutes later to be told to clear my desk!

Projects a ‘we care’ ethos but ultimately I’ve worked in far better places since.

Ultimately a revolving door… if they had invested more in their staff and training rather than stroking the egos of the ‘big billers’ they might not suffer this issue.

Very focussed around KPI’s and monitoring call time without any thought or care given to *why* someone is on the phone. Some people called the talking clock for 30 minutes daily to get their call times up(!)

Advice to Management

Pay closer attention to what people are working on and how feasible it is to fill it, rather than whether someone has spent enough time on the phone each day…

8. "Revolving Door, KPI bashing, unable to roll out commission structures correctly"

I worked at Advanced Resource Managers (ARM) full-time

Pros

some of the employees are really nice

Cons

High turnover of staff, no support structure, High up management don't seem to have a clue they just hide away in a BATCAVE office. Seem to try and evolve then revert back to old ways.. ARM do not know how to move this company further forward. Full of yes men! Worth going to for a yr to learn recruitment basics but for a career you would waste you time. The company has a negative spin on just about everything and if your face does not fit they will find a way to get you out or pay you off with hush money!!

9. "Good fun"

Current Employee - Consultant
    Current Employee - Consultant

I have been working at Advanced Resource Managers (ARM) full-time

Pros

Great family feel
    Fantastic role models throughout the business
    They really strive for fairness and growth throughout the business
    Great rewards and incentives
    Commission scheme is better than competitors

Cons

The commission scheme is currently under review which is great. It's not bad scheme but could be better, as with anything in life!

10. "Great Company"

I have been working at Advanced Resource Managers (ARM) full-time

Pros

ARM are a great company to work for and you are rewarded financially well. Very close, family feel to the office, everyone knows everyone and it is easy enough to speak to anyone across the business. Good interview procedure, kept up to date from initiation to offer with the company and accommodated me

Cons

Commission scheme recently changed and brought in an amount of money you have to make each month before you get paid out on your commission.

Advice to Management

Stagger the standard requirement as well as the targets for new starters.

"revolving door!"

Former Employee - Consultant
    Former Employee - Consultant

I worked at Advanced Resource Managers (ARM) full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great CEO and Founder, Great MD. Great training from one of the best trainers in the business and second to none HR Director

Cons

Poor commission structure, strategies that constantly change, incredibly high staff turnover and far too much of a boys club.

Advice to Management

Keep hold of your good employees and listen to their grievances.