Advanced Resource Managers (ARM) Reviews | Glassdoor

Advanced Resource Managers (ARM) CEO Mike Gawthorne
Mike Gawthorne

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Joining ARM"

Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in Havant, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in Havant, England (UK)

I have been working at Advanced Resource Managers (ARM) full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Coming from a recruitment background and moving within the recruitment sector can be a sensitive case. ARM were more than professional in the recruitment process; flexible on interview location and also swift in the process of hiring. I felt the recruiting manager was very transparent and honest which is so important when deciding to make a move. Thank you ARM, I look forward to being part of your team.

Cons

None as of yet! Looking forward to a new challenge

Advice to Management

Keep doing what your doing!

2. "Good Company but let down simply by its corporate ambitions"

Former Employee - Senior Recruiter in Portsmouth, South East England, England (UK)

I worked at Advanced Resource Managers (ARM) full-time (More than a year)

Pros

very good training and process which will give junior consultants and excellent grounding in the industry

Cons

not enough scope for progression for ambitious consultants or flexibility when working with clients

Advice to Management

ARM is doing exactly what it says on the tin. It is a large recruitment company that offers the large recruitment company employee experience (exactly what it offers its clients). The management are doing a good job of steering the ship.

3. "Pleasant but disjointed"

Pros

Some experienced people there to help guide and advise. In-team camaraderie is good. Nice offices with good working atmosphere and facilities.

Cons

A bit disjointed between teams and divisions, especially on client collaboration. Expect to make it happen yourself.

4. "Family-feel"

Current Employee - Recruitment Manager in Havant, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Recruitment Manager in Havant, England (UK)

I have been working at Advanced Resource Managers (ARM) (More than 8 years)

Pros

A company which feels like a family and takes pride in looking after its employees. They have invested a lot in improving their incentives and people are rewarded for achieving.

The company is fair and does promote inclusiveness where appropriate

Cons

Make sure that you maintain the current culture

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing

5. "So far so good!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Havant, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Havant, England (UK)

Pros

I've been with ARM for four months and can honestly say I love it. There is an incredibly positive and generous culture within the company - you wouldn't believe the amount of rewards, prizes, vouchers and even the odd £50 note which gets given away. There are some lovely people here, many of whom are really engaged with everything that my manager and I are doing.

Cons

Technology is a little cumbersome and frustrating, compared with what I'm used to, but I understand why processes and IT policies need to be locked down, as we're dealing with personal information.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing. It's incredibly refreshing for management to take the time to say 'thank you' - even Mike, the CEO, stops by to thank you for a job well done. It makes such a difference!

6. "A lot better agencies out there"

Former Employee - Recruitment Consultant
    Former Employee - Recruitment Consultant

I worked at Advanced Resource Managers (ARM) full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Run frequent incentive schemes quarterly (trips away, time off, financial rewards) but the same 5 or 6 people win every time.
    - Have a core group of 5-10 great recruiters across the company. These people are generally kept as Consultants rather than promoted to management (trapped by the commission!) and are very good in encouraging others.
    - The possibility to earn some very good money! The top 5 or so recruiters will be earning excellent commission.
    - Very friendly people

Cons

- Constantly changing procedures
    - incentive schemes seem geared up to continually reward the same people rather than new people joining and growing desks.
    - Management stuck in the past. The Management of the business have almost entirely been successful recruiters in the 90's but have little idea of day-to-day recruitment today.
    - Very aggressive sales focus with KPI's for every metric you could imagine. The approach is very much driven to getting as much volume out the door with the hope something will stick rather than considered on what your desk would benefit most from.
    - Extremely cut throat. I have seen people paraded as hero's one quarter for achieve 200% to target and then put on performance review the next. In my team of 10-15 people, 5 of us were stable in our roles there with the other desks constantly filled with new people given a few months to bill and then replaced if not successful.

Advice to Management

Trust your consultants to do what is best for their desks.
    Re-design the KPI's.
    Invest more time in your trainees and new starters. Give them more time.

7. "Fading star, revolving door, micro mgt, tight with £'s."

Former Employee - Former Management in Portsmouth, South East England, England (UK)

I worked at Advanced Resource Managers (ARM) full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Nice offices, great back office teams, good niches, some talented recruiters who should be trusted more to excel. Good brands, trusted by some long term customers.

Cons

For a few years it has been going backwards, some good people left and were treated poorly - and there is one common denominator - the MD's and Board. Over-engineered everything - compliance, schemes (very poor to almost everything else I've seen since) etc, feels like people are scared & not trusted, rather than trusted & allowed to express themselves.

8. "Recruitment consultant"

Pros

20 years heritage, some great long term customers

Cons

Management are almost too reactive and try to re invent the wheel to solve minor issues

Advice to Management

Develop a consistent strategy that people can buy into, do not overhaul this stately everytime you decide to 'fix' something.

9. "ARM"

I worked at Advanced Resource Managers (ARM) full-time

Pros

Good brand, good training, some talented people in the company

Cons

KPI'ed to the extreme, low basic salary vs other recruitment businesses in the area, slash and burn hiring approach at junior level/possibly senior also.

10. "Revolving Door"

Former Employee - Resourcer in Havant, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Resourcer in Havant, England (UK)

I worked at Advanced Resource Managers (ARM) full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Pleasant office environment, some friendly people. Initial training was a good introduction but very basic and not tailored to each individual (a crash course in ‘old school’ recruitment)…

Cons

Joined as a resourcer under several account managers – one of whom quit half way through my probation – nullifying all of the work I’d done for them in the last couple of months. Account managers were less than helpful and each treated their work as ‘most important’ and having no time for anyone else. Further to that, little communication or additional close training meant that It essentially became luck as to who saw success and who did not, based on who they worked with / what jobs they were given to work.

Awful human resources at the time. Had a team leader meeting around 10am to discuss progress and agree an action plan… then called in to HR 30 minutes later to be told to clear my desk!

Projects a ‘we care’ ethos but ultimately I’ve worked in far better places since.

Ultimately a revolving door… if they had invested more in their staff and training rather than stroking the egos of the ‘big billers’ they might not suffer this issue.

Very focussed around KPI’s and monitoring call time without any thought or care given to *why* someone is on the phone. Some people called the talking clock for 30 minutes daily to get their call times up(!)

Advice to Management

Pay closer attention to what people are working on and how feasible it is to fill it, rather than whether someone has spent enough time on the phone each day…