Advanced Technologies Group Reviews | Glassdoor

3.1
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Advanced Technologies Group Chairman and CEO Atul Gupta
Atul Gupta

1. "Good work environment, friendly and helpful colleagues"

Current Employee - Developer in West Des Moines, IA
    Current Employee - Developer in West Des Moines, IA

I have been working at Advanced Technologies Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lot of opportunities to learn

Cons

some time little or no work

2. "Not for High Performers"

Former Employee - Software Developer in West Des Moines, IA
    Former Employee - Software Developer in West Des Moines, IA

I worked at Advanced Technologies Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Financially stable company, as long as the government contracts hold. Most of the people who work there are nice to one another. The bonuses can be substantial also.

Cons

Uppermost management is volatile to the point of causing friction within the workplace. You can't count on the bonuses as the formula is opaque. Skills tend to become stunted for those who work here long.

Advice to Management

Reign in volatility in management and provide a better opportunity for employees to continue to learn and grow their skills.

3. "Great place. Fun colleagues. Easygoing,no pressure."

Current Employee - Software Developer in West Des Moines, IA

I have been working at Advanced Technologies Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They provide very good training specific to the job. Not a very fast pace of work.

Cons

There are not enough learning opportunities. I do very similar kind of work everyday.

5. "Not recommended"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lombard, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lombard, IL

I worked at Advanced Technologies Group (More than 3 years)

Pros

Competitive pay and benefits throughout

Cons

Poor communication between departments. Favortism runs high throughout senior management.

"It was a good place to start my career coming out of college."

Current Employee - Software Developer in West Des Moines, IA

I have been working at Advanced Technologies Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

They don't do layoffs. Once a month they bring everyone together & provide lunch & give company updates. Good location for the office. They don't do meetings.

Cons

Vacation time was not competitive. They don't want to give you vacation time when you start & it took too long to get more vacation time. Sick time was minimal. When I was there they only gave you 3 sick days a year. The cost of the health insurance was a bit high. Salary was not competitive. The team I was on developed their applications using old tools/tech.

"Poor benefits, average salary, poor software development methodology"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in West Des Moines, IA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in West Des Moines, IA

Pros

I honestly can't think of any. Other than they pay you a small bonus ($1,000 to $2,500) for getting MS developer or Java developer certified. But you have to study on your own time, and take the test on your own time.

Cons

Skimpy vacation policy. Only 13 days. No personal days, and ATG recently eliminated sick leave altogether. if you are sick, you need to use a vacation day. Vacation maxes out at 18 days, again with no sick leave no matter how long you have worked for the company. No time off for funerals or grievance. Again, you need to use vacation days. Health insurance is mediocre, and expensive compared to other companies.

Development methodologies are a mess.Their idea of source code re-use is copy and paste. There is duplicate code all over the place. Also "That's just the way we do it around here" is the most common answer given for why you are supposed to write code a certain way, even if it makes no sense to write it that way, and it would be better, safer, and more efficient to write it another way.

Also, not much interaction with other coworkers. It's basically a "go to work, sit at your workstation, put in your eight hours, go home, repeat next day" kind of job.

High turnover. In the last couple of months, six developers have quit, from a company of only about 60 employees. When you have that much turnover in just a couple of months in such a small company, it would seem like it should be a clear indication to senior management that something is wrong. But so far, there have been no changes.

Advice to Management

You claim that ATG is a family. Start practicing what you preach if you want to be able to hold on to talented developers. Make me want to work here. Eliminating sick leave and only offering 13 days of vacation, of which sick days, personal days., and grievance days must come out of would suggest you don't value your family all that much, and doesn't exactly make me want to work here. Find a way to encourage more "social bonding" between co-workers. Again, if this is a family, it's a very dysfunctional one given the "show up for work, sit at your desk, put in your eight hours, go home, repeat next day" boring routine.

8. "Good Place to Work"

Current Employee - Systems Analyst in Troy, MI
    Current Employee - Systems Analyst in Troy, MI

Pros

Great Pay and Benefits. I have working with them since 5 years. They have treated me really good and never had any major issue with employer. I

Cons

Lack of Communication and visibility. Sometime its hard to raise your voice and if you call them they would not return your call unless you need them. Its has become little bit better now. actually management is good only HR people sucks.
    They are always busy in something that i dont know whats that. If you need anything it takes a while or you have to do thousand followups

Advice to Management

Listen to Your Employees