Advanced Technology Services Reviews in Peoria, IL | Glassdoor

2.6
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Jeff Owens

Cons

1. "IT Solutions Engineer"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Peoria, IL

I worked at Advanced Technology Services full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

ATS is a great company to work for. The people are the best and work to be the "best in class" Very good benefits and good opportunity for advancement.

Cons

As a services company, the client can cancel the service contracts which can lead to unemployment. However the company always works to fill new positions as then can with these employees.

Advice to Management

None.

2. "Warehouse worker"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Peoria, IL

I worked at Advanced Technology Services (More than a year)

Pros

good placement , good communication, good pay

Cons

hours shifted, not consistent with hours

"Complete disconnect between management and employees"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Peoria, IL

I have been working at Advanced Technology Services full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free popcorn on payday. Consistent and reliable work if you don't care about advancement. Immediate supervisors are (usually) good people.
    No expectations to stay late or work from home, but there are overtime opportunities (though mostly due to understaffing.) Full-time employment (if you can get it) has acceptable benefits and decent vacation.

Cons

Upper management shows absolutely zero value for the low level employee, beyond a simple headcount. Department policies have only gotten more and more strict over the years. When I started, the employee was valued as a contributing part of the organization. Our ideas had value, and we felt like our voices were being heard. Shortly into my employment, a program was implemented to monitor employee activity down to the minute, and any deviation from your daily schedule was grounds for an interrogation about your activity. We now have no agency or autonomy to determine our own work priorities. Turnover is astronomical as employees burn out and get frustrated with restrictive policies. Customers have noticed the backlash as we continue to bring on low-quality contractors and the long-time pros pick up and leave for better opportunities. We're losing revenue and the solution is to crack down on any activity that doesn't have a contractual SLA attached. The employees that remain are expected to pick up the work of 2-3 people each, instead of filling the gap when someone leaves.

Pay is below industry standard. Raises this year were deferred 5 months. Advancement is nonexistent. Management just hires managers from other departments, and hire technical roles from outside. Employees are frustrated, customers are frustrated, and management has its head in the sand, offering the same excuses about budget and revenue in lieu of actually engaging with the real problems.

New employees try to voice the same complaints that we've had for years, and by now we just shrug and say "deal with it" because we know the argument is not going anywhere. The apathy at the employee level stifles any possible productivity or creativity.

Advice to Management

Strip the excess. Remove the time-tracking department as a whole and rebuild with a system that is beneficial for the customer AND the employee. This organization is totally top-heavy and employees are forced to follow conflicting policies from managerial departments that are all trying to be in charge. Single out the people that cause conflict and get rid of them. Promote a culture that lets us focus on the customer instead of getting micromanaged by people who have no grasp on the actual requirements of the job.

5. "Help desk associate 1"

Former Employee - Desktop Engineer in Peoria, IL
    Former Employee - Desktop Engineer in Peoria, IL

I worked at Advanced Technology Services full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They have free popcorn on payday

Cons

They won't pay a fair wage, they have expensive management that doesn't understand how to run a service desk. They are constantly cutting corners to save a buck. They micromanage your time down to the min (I'm not joking, every min is tracked/scrutinized and judged). Rather than focus on quality and improving their workers performance an atmosphere of harassment / unnecessary and detrimental goals has become their core focus. Exit interviews are filed in the trash can, no feedback (constructive or otherwise) has been taken seriously. Upper management is completely blinded by numbers to understand how the business they work for is doing.

Advice to Management

When I started working at ATS there was a great bunch of people working with me on the service desk. In less than 2 years I was the 3rd most senior person and everyone that could have jumped ship. When work force management was implemented, employee rewards removed and the focus shifted from customer to average handle time and making reports look pretty, this company died. I am so very glad I found an opportunity elsewhere to work and feel for those who were not as lucky as I. This company has gone into triage mode and has no intelligent plan in place to stop the bleeding.

"Good place to cut your teeth."

Former Employee - Project Manager in Peoria, IL
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Peoria, IL

I worked at Advanced Technology Services full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There's opportunity to learn while there.

Cons

Low pay and not a lot of loyalty from management unless you're in the club. Even then, be cautious.

Advice to Management

Invest in your people. Try to be more nimble and diverse, both in offerings, and client base in order to weather down-turns better. Figure out the difference between culture and style.

7. "Front End Developer"

Current Employee - Front End Developer in Peoria, IL
    Current Employee - Front End Developer in Peoria, IL

Pros

The processes for project management is agile and a scrum happens every day in the morning to track tasks which is an effective technique.

Cons

Budget restraints and a slight disconnect from the business entities who controls the work but does not understand how best to use the development team when using agile. Works gets thrown in.

Advice to Management

It would be better to try and understand what roles need fill and try and find developers that fit the role.

8. "Not a Career"

Current Employee - Site Manager in Peoria, IL
    Current Employee - Site Manager in Peoria, IL

I have been working at Advanced Technology Services full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great opportunities to learn and grow as a person. I've greatly increased my knowledge, skills, and abilities at ATS. You are constantly challenged to do and learn more.

Cons

This isn't a company to have a career. Unless you work for the corporate office you are slightly more than a resource to be used.

Advice to Management

Actions speak louder than words.

"Poor Management"

Former Employee - Senior Tech in Peoria, IL
    Former Employee - Senior Tech in Peoria, IL

I worked at Advanced Technology Services full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

If you can't find a job no where else the door is open at ATS.

Cons

Management just don't care about people enough

Advice to Management

Be fair!

10. "My immediate manager makes ATS a great place to work."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Peoria, IL

I have been working at Advanced Technology Services (More than a year)

Pros

My manager keeps us learning new things and has been very good to keep us employed. He allows enough freedom that I find myself wanting to work for him and to stretch to do my best. He is a wonderful encourager and fair to his employees. Benefits and pay are equitable.

Cons

Upper management is cold. They see us as minions and do not seem to care about us.

Advice to Management

Notice the good people who are working so hard for you. Companies that take care of their customers and their employees will win in the marketplace.

11. "Not the best"

Current Employee - Maintenance Technician in Peoria, IL
    Current Employee - Maintenance Technician in Peoria, IL

I have been working at Advanced Technology Services (More than 8 years)

Pros

There are opportunities for advancement for those willing to work for it. There are training opportunities. There is opportunity to move around if you want to.

Cons

These people take safety to the extreme. So much that some office person with little field knowledge can concoct some whacky "safety" procedure that goes unquestioned simply because the label "safety" is applied. Woe to anyone who would dare question any aspect of it! Being totally safe is great in theory. But you cannot do anything without taking risks. Like driving to work. Think it is absurd to have to point this out? Try working for ATS for a while and you will understand.

Advice to Management

I would tell them to stop with the safety Nazi non-sense, but I'm sure that there is some slick spreadsheet study out there that shows fewer accidents occur as a result of all their methods. And, they probably are marginally safer, but they also have lower productivity, morale and respect from their employees, customers and peers.