Advanced Testing Laboratory 125 Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.1
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Greg Neal

Pros
  • great work/life balance; just do your 8hrs and go home (in 7 reviews)

• Contract employees working at Fortune 500 company have the potential to gain good industry experience (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Low pay compared to similar positions at other companies (in 12 reviews)

• The pay is terrible (interns at other companies make more), and there is basically no room to move up within ATL (in 9 reviews)

1. "Solid Company"

I have been working at Advanced Testing Laboratory (More than a year)

Pros

Great People, environment and atmosphere

Cons

Contracting business can be a bit rough, the building is subpar

"Not so good"

Former Employee - Biologist
    Former Employee - Biologist

I worked at Advanced Testing Laboratory full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Working with big CROs. On the job training, CRO colleagues are inspiring and supportive. If you're looking for a foot in the door to apply to a bigger CRO, ATL provides this opportunity. Also work life balance is the best attribute of this company. They are flexible but offer only 10 days of PTO the first 5 years. Taking unpaid days is frowned upon and employees will be reprimanded if they use unpaid time off for absences.

Cons

No career development, management does not care about it's employees, management does not follow through on promises. No recognition for achievements, no promotions. Onsite HR Is limited to the Cincinnati site only. HR does not appear to have the ability to look at employee issues objectively. Employees are expendable.

Advice to Management

Invest in employees to reduce turnover. Pay more, follow through on promises, create a path for promotions with clear objectives, recruit intelligent, compassionate supervisors that do more than approve time sheets. Offer more comprehensive benefits, don't take advantage of recent grads and out of work folks in the science indsutry. Be transparent in the interview process so candidates know what to expect.

"Benefits aren't affordable"

Current Employee - Biologist in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Biologist in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Advanced Testing Laboratory full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Opportunity to gain industry pharmaceutical research experience. You get your foot in the door and prove yourself as a competent scientist. Good work-life balance.

Cons

Benefits aren't affordable, aren't paid enough for the same work as another scientist, company is more interested in bottom line rather than in their employees...did I mention really low pay?"

Advice to Management

Benefits are too expensive especially considering your scientific staff (making up >80% of the profits for our company) are paid half of what we're worth. Most of us can't afford to have health insurance and live off of these wages.

"Working for ATL"

Former Employee - Indiana in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Indiana in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Advanced Testing Laboratory (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good entry level work for college grads
    Always hiring
    Get to work with leading scientist

Cons

Salary
    No advancement in the workplace
    Work as a contractor

Advice to Management

Create advacement opportunities

6. "Great Job!"

Pros

Scientific Candidate-specific hiring. Re-branding of company. Good growth potential.

Cons

Contractor work. Does not participate in host company activities.

"Good for a first job, but don't stay long"

I have been working at Advanced Testing Laboratory full-time

Pros

Great opportunities to gain experience (and a good place to get your foot in the door with bigger, client companies), decent benefits, and flexible hours.

Cons

The pay is absolutely pitiful and management is very stingy when it comes to raises. Someone coming out of college and desperate for some experience would find this job beneficial; however, ATL knows this and takes full advantage of it by paying their employees peanuts. Also, since you are a contractor, you are 100% expendable and easily replaced.

Advice to Management

Place more value on your employees. You're trying to grow as a company, yet the turnover rate is still incredibly high. If you want to grow, pay your employees a more competitive salary and give them a reason to stay.

"ATL"

I have been working at Advanced Testing Laboratory full-time

Pros

Opportunity to get entry level experience in a number of analytical techniques (physical and/or life sciences).

Cons

Low pay, little advancement opportunity, not a lot of time off.

Advice to Management

The yearly review process needs serious optimization. It seems as if the company is hesitant to give pay raises after a year of hard work and dedication.

"Good First Job, though be Wary"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH

Pros

Comfortable working environment, got my foot in the door with a Fortune 500 company though we don't really get to say who we worked for due to confidentiality agreements. Easy going management that keeps you in check but will help you when they can. Multiple kinds of work if you're in an office-type setting.

Cons

Well, I got laid off soon after I finished my first "job," so there's that. They run on contract work and if they don't keep the jobs coming they'll let you go as soon as you're done. While they have plenty of laboratory jobs that seem to bring in most of their income, if you're in an office-type setting I wouldn't recommend this company to someone looking for a long-term career because you could be let go without any fault on your part. HR told us during our orientation that they were happy they chose to work for them as a "stepping stone," so I probably should've seen the red flags coming.

Benefits could've been better. I had to confront management over wanting to take unpaid time off which for some reason is a big deal to them? It didn't make any sense and my immediate supervisor didn't quite understand why it was possible either.

Advice to Management

I would hope that in the future they are more prudent on how many contracts they take in and how many people they hire. I get that jobs come and go but career employees are very valuable and they should try to hold on to them.

"Please consider other employers"

Former Employee - Team Lead in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Team Lead in Indianapolis, IN

Pros

Great experience, high profile clients

Cons

Minimal respect for employees, low pay

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees, especially if they're voicing legitimate concerns about clients harassing them

"Great Company to Gain Experience With"

Current Employee - Chemist in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Chemist in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Advanced Testing Laboratory full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Opportunities to gain experience (depending on the client) in your field while working alongside experienced scientists.

- Flexible schedule (depending on the client's needs), including PTO.

- Great people to work with.

Cons

- Wages are NOT competitive, especially considering how much work you are expected to do. There are annual raises that come after your yearly review, but the most you can expect is 3%. This leads to a high turnover rate, which means you might have to pick up the slack when no one else is available or new people need training.

- There is little to no room to move up within the company and employees are often under appreciated.

- Horrible benefits.

Advice to Management

Focus on ways to keep your top, current employees satisfied. They will return the favor by keeping the client happy and staying with the company. This will lead to long-lasting, positive relationships with the clients and a better reputation.