Advanced Testing Laboratory Reviews | Glassdoor

Advanced Testing Laboratory Reviews

Updated March 8, 2017

Pros
Cons
  • Low pay compared to similar positions at other companies (in 12 reviews)

• The pay is terrible (interns at other companies make more), and there is basically no room to move up within ATL (in 8 reviews)

1. "Technician"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Advanced Testing Laboratory (More than 3 years)

Pros

Advanced Testing labs sends there employees to different locations. At my location I hardly ever here from them, and my manager is very flexible. They gave me a great opportunity to learn.

Cons

Not a lot of vacation. Have to pay to bring spouse to holiday party. There are absolutely no advancement opportunity. Pay raises are only approximately 3% per year.

"Good people at Indy site, but just a holding pattern for your career if you have experience."

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Advanced Testing Laboratory as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

I loved the people I worked with at my sponsor company - but I had very little interaction with ATL/ATMG employees.

Whenever I asked for time off, I received it. I never had to work any more than 40 hours and I could make my own schedule of hours. I came in early morning and was done by 3pm. Very good work-life balance for my position.

Cons

Pay - The contractors I knew with a family, had to work part-time jobs in addition to full-time with ATL/ATMG to support their family. These are people with college degrees and some with graduate degrees. No one could afford their own rent in Indianapolis. I thought it was just me who needed a roommate, but at the Christmas party several of the employees were also roommates with each other.

Benefits - No employer contribution to health insurance. I didn't realize this until I got my COBRA offer. 401k enrollment didn't kick in until I had been there 9 months, so I didn't qualify for the 2yr wait-period for the employer contribution (matched 5% of up to 3% of my salary, aka max of $45/yr.) The dental insurance costs more a year than a cleaning and didn't cover a co-worker's crown work, so I didn't purchase it. Eye coverage is worth it though (if you don't have 20/20).

Raises - Raises are capped at 4% - so NEGOTIATE when you're HIRED. I didn't do a good job at this. I was offered $14/hr negotiated to $15/hr and later found out that Covance would pay me $17-22/hr for a similar position. Look up what Covance is offering for the equivalent position - don't expect to be paid that well, but use it to better estimate your value. (Ex: ATL might have paid $17/hr but never $20+)

PTO - I personally found the PTO appalling. You get 10 days per year of PTO. If you want to be paid during the sponsor company's annual four-day "shut down", you have to save your PTO for that. What that means to you is all together you have 80hrs to be sick, shut down pay, go on vacation, and attend other life appointments (doctor, car repair, etc). Basically this functionally translates into going to work sick because you don't want to lose your 6 days of vacation. PLUS SIDE - they do roll over if you don't use it all, so the next year you could have more PTO time.

Advancement - My HR seemed to be looking for other placements, but were limited by the sponsor's openings. Overall, this is a place to work and make money if you want to live in Indianapolis and are neutral about your career. It isn't a very good company to stay with if you're ambitious and the sponsor company is 'tightening its belt' with limited opportunities with them available. If you have no work experience, it's a good place to gain some - but for me it was just a holding pattern.

Security - My sponsor company renewed contracts annually - aka the week before Christmas. You never really knew for sure until that time if you had a job the next year. ATL/ATMG reassures you with a "we'll find a place for you" - but it could definitely be a step down on the career ladder if they're faced with that. However, they don't want to pay unemployment ("lean management") so they're not likely to lay you off if you have kids and want that security knowledge.

Confidentiality Agreement - You can't have both ATL/ATMG on your resume AND the sponsor company at which you were place. However, no one cares about ATL/ATMG on your resume but the sponsor company name has some pull. You end up being torn between being honest and not sending up red flags on a background check and actually having someone pay attention to your resume. I have settled on careful wording like "a contractor placed with " sponsor company. (Most people just ignore the agreement all together.)

Advice to Management

Something you might actually listen to: offer 80hrs PTO plus three sick days a year. You don't really want to send sick people into the types of workplaces you serve. If you're worried about abuse, have an unwritten policy that managers can send people home with pay (a couple times a year) if they're too sick to really be there.

3. "Not a bad place to work depending on your priorities"

Current Employee - Biologist III in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Biologist III in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Advanced Testing Laboratory full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible work schedule, good coworkers mostly. Can get some really good work experience depending on where you end up. If the contract changes and you have been a good employee they will move you to another open position instead of letting you go.

Cons

Leadership is basically a joke. Managers have no idea what on contract site employees do for their jobs so the personal development reviews are meaningless. Speaking of PDRs, they never get done on time, EVER! It can take up to a year for a review to get done, which means getting a raise up to a year late with retro pay back to anniversary date. There is always a lot of talk about cross training and opportunities but these things never come to fruition.

Advice to Management

Management should lead by example, if any employee were to be late getting their responsibilities completed they would have some reprimand. There should be no excuse for management to never accomplish a review on time.

5. "Nothing advanced about it."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Blue Ash, OH
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Blue Ash, OH

I worked at Advanced Testing Laboratory full-time

Pros

-Entry level work for recent grads who are looking to find jobs with their science degrees.
    -They pay you on time
    -They are good at finding talented scientists, so coworkers are cool.

Cons

-Way underpaid for the quality and quantity of work they ask.
    -Will ask you to bend rules when it is most convenient for them to try.
    -Losing clients out of sheer neglect for industry competitiveness.
    -Cannot speak up about an issue without being treated like a crazy person.
    -Incredibly high turnover rate that leads to huge gaps in analyst capabilities.
    -Get berated, under appreciated, belittled, and talked about behind your back by supervisors.
    -Lax policy with tardiness leads to some people showing up 30 minutes or more regularly.
    -30 minutes lunch break that allows little time to eat anything in the small break room poorly fitted to sit more than 10 people that doesn't offer any healthy food or drink options to its employees.
    -Literally no personal space. Random spot desk checks occur where desk items and contents are gone through without notifying the individual their stuff is being looked through.
    -No opportunity whatsoever for internal promotion or significant pay increase.
    -Old, degrading, dirty building full of dirty, stained chairs and leak filled ceilings.

Advice to Management

I would not give advice to any member of Advanced Testing Laboratory's Management ever.

"Horrible Company, Possible good work experience for new grads"

Current Employee - Chemist in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Chemist in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Advanced Testing Laboratory full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Luckily got placed in a position with hands-on use of instrumentation and method development. Good first year work experience to put on a resume. People in my group, contracted off-site, were friendly.

Cons

Pay is simply horrible. It's a joke. Management is useless. There is no upward mobility. Raises are skimpy. Benefits are lip service. Heard working on base (at ATL headquarters) is awful.

Advice to Management

Teach your managers how to manage. Upper management, push for better pay for employees so your retention issues lessen. We do good, hard, advanced level work and should be paid well for doing so.

7. "Great Place to go for College Students"

Former Employee - Microbiologist in Cincinnati, OH
    Former Employee - Microbiologist in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at Advanced Testing Laboratory full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good place to gain experience, pays overtime without question, and good and steady work load.

Cons

Too much work at times, need a balance of work/outside life, and pay is bare mininum not a place for experienced workers.

Advice to Management

Communicate with team leaders and associates about what goes on in the lab.

"As a contractor hired out to fortune 500 Company and divorced from day to day opurations at ATL"

Current Employee - Lab Coordinator in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Lab Coordinator in Cincinnati, OH

Pros

better hourly wage than some other temporpary companies
    They give 80 hours of vacation on hire

Cons

very little room to advance
    bottom line is you are a contractor(temp) so pay is maybe 2/3 of what it could be
    no insurance to speak of

Advice to Management

be more visible
    be more interactive
    need to find way to retain good employees
    find ways for employees to advance

"Chemist"

Current Employee - Chemist
    Current Employee - Chemist

I have been working at Advanced Testing Laboratory full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great place to work to get useful entry-level experience. Coworkers are great company.

Cons

Little room for promotions. Care more about their clients than their employees.

Advice to Management

Implement more for current employees; show that you value their work and loyalty.

"Not so good"

Former Employee - Biologist
    Former Employee - Biologist

I worked at Advanced Testing Laboratory full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Working with big CROs. On the job training, CRO colleagues are inspiring and supportive. If you're looking for a foot in the door to apply to a bigger CRO, ATL provides this opportunity. Also work life balance is the best attribute of this company. They are flexible but offer only 10 days of PTO the first 5 years. Taking unpaid days is frowned upon and employees will be reprimanded if they use unpaid time off for absences.

Cons

No career development, management does not care about it's employees, management does not follow through on promises. No recognition for achievements, no promotions. Onsite HR Is limited to the Cincinnati site only. HR does not appear to have the ability to look at employee issues objectively. Employees are expendable.

Advice to Management

Invest in employees to reduce turnover. Pay more, follow through on promises, create a path for promotions with clear objectives, recruit intelligent, compassionate supervisors that do more than approve time sheets. Offer more comprehensive benefits, don't take advantage of recent grads and out of work folks in the science indsutry. Be transparent in the interview process so candidates know what to expect.

"Good for a first job, but don't stay long"

I have been working at Advanced Testing Laboratory full-time

Pros

Great opportunities to gain experience (and a good place to get your foot in the door with bigger, client companies), decent benefits, and flexible hours.

Cons

The pay is absolutely pitiful and management is very stingy when it comes to raises. Someone coming out of college and desperate for some experience would find this job beneficial; however, ATL knows this and takes full advantage of it by paying their employees peanuts. Also, since you are a contractor, you are 100% expendable and easily replaced.

Advice to Management

Place more value on your employees. You're trying to grow as a company, yet the turnover rate is still incredibly high. If you want to grow, pay your employees a more competitive salary and give them a reason to stay.