Advantage Business Media Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

2.5
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Jim Lonergan

Pros
  • Laid back atmosphere, awesome employees (in 6 reviews)

• Good people, HR does a good job with events and team building activities, wtc (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Continued elimination of benefits (no 401K matching), raises and bonuses are nonexistent, and the health insurance plan is very expensive (in 4 reviews)

• New CEO hs steered this once great company onto the rocks where no tide can raise it (in 5 reviews)

"The way I see things at ABM"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rockaway, NJ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rockaway, NJ

I have been working at Advantage Business Media full-time (More than a year)

Pros

When I was trying to transition my career, very few companies were willing to see past my age and lack of full-time experience to see the passion that I have for my current position.
    Advantage Business Media was not one of those companies. ABM has given me an opportunity to excel in an area that is usually reserved for younger and more experienced persons.

Additionally, I’ve worked for companies where my personal life was generally regarded as an intrusion on the efficient day-to-day operations of the business. In those companies, every minute I was out of the office was accounted for and charged against your allotted PTO days, regardless of what you did after-hours to compensate. Again, that is not this company. ABM understands that my life is complicated and assumes that employees are responsible enough to make up for any unexpected time out of the office.

Most importantly, I have worked for companies with once-successful business models that were waning rapidly. The corporate vision for the next five years at these companies was to hope that the business stayed afloat long enough for everyone to find another job. This is not that company. ABM is a company that is evolving rapidly from a path that held increasingly limited possibilities to another one that leads to greater long-term possibilities and true growth for the next generation. It is a company that wants to expand from its previous framework and offer real cutting-edge solutions to its customers.

Cons

The new business model here was implemented swiftly and many people who were trained for one type of company found themselves unable to transition within this new company. Some ignored the new corporate direction and didn’t try to adjust; others didn’t want the company to deviate from its current business model and spent valuable time complaining rather than seeking a way to work within this transition.

And while I firmly believe that many people who no longer work here and subsequently wrote negative reviews have mostly themselves to blame, I cannot justify how so many people were allowed to leave with such bitterness that they would resort to writing unfavorable reviews. Like bad Yelp reviews of a restaurant, reviews of this nature usually have their genesis in an unsatisfactory experience combined with a highly emotional state.

I wasn’t part of the personnel decisions, but my gut feeling it that there needed to be more responsibility on the business to transition people better. There definitely was an expectation that people should automatically adapt even when the skill of adaptation was never part of their job description. It clearly would have been more difficult to re-educate many employees than hire those that already had the necessary newer skills. And I know training was done. But many of these negative reviews suggest that former employees tried to communicate their transition anxieties that were either dismissed or ignored. Conversely, it seems that some managers were not truthful with employees about their efforts during the transition until it was too late, leaving people to feel shocked and betrayed by their dismissal.

Advice to Management

I applaud the new business plan but I want those in management to think twice about making business decisions and not be so cavalier (or naive) about the possible repercussions in this new social media world. You may believe that people may not have the information to properly scrutinize your decisions, but they will publicly scrutinize and analyze them just the same.

I praise ABM for being a great company but I’m sad that my praise will be mediated against a negative groundswell that upper management, I believe, clearly should have averted. Going forward there needs to be a real conduit for true communication between not just employees and managers, but managers and upper management.

"Nightmare on Enterprise Street!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rockaway, NJ

I worked at Advantage Business Media full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Some nice people at the company that are not acknowledged. Some minor perks occasionally.

Cons

One-two--they will make you blue, three, four--their salary will make you poor, five-six--their benefits stinks, seven-eight--they won't appreciate, nine-ten--you'll look for another job again!

There's so much wrong with this company, it's impossible to know where to start. Once you get beyond the lack of professionalism, the throwing everyone under the bus to save your own skin, then you get to the opportunism and playing favoritism to who can do more for you. Managers abuse their power by playing favorites to understudies by making them do their work and promoting the same person to different tasks and then hiring assistants to do most of the work. They hire Millennials straight out of college, pay them next to nothing, and some of those people with limited professional experience start all of the drama in the office, have bigger egos than their skills (although they think otherwise) and they condescend everyone else, ironically. There's layers and layers of politics, very low office morale and the staff is a revolving door as a result. When you invest so little in your employees, you get just that back in return. If you're considering this company and you want to experience it for yourself, go right ahead. I did, ignored the reviews and saw for myself that the reviews were indeed true. If you want my two cents--don't walk, run the other way. Even if you're in need of a job, your self worth is more precious. This place will chew you up and spit you out. And the biggest worse-kept secret--the company is bankrupt, it is going under quicker than the Titanic. If you want a few quick paychecks, go right ahead. But there is no future growth here. Good luck.

Advice to Management

Really listen your employees, from all sides. Don't just take one gossipy/delusional person's perspective as fact. Show some compassion from Chrissakes, we're all people.

"Change can be difficult at times"

Current Employee - Management in Rockaway, NJ
    Current Employee - Management in Rockaway, NJ

I have been working at Advantage Business Media full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Change is hard no matter what. When positive results aren’t yielded immediately, it becomes even more of a challenge in today’s environment. Over the last several years changes in the landscape for B2B media companies have resulted in transition, reorganization, and downsizing. ABM has had to endure its share of these types of changes. Despite all of the recent changes and unsettling times, I believe that ABM employees continue to come to work every day because they are motivated and dedicated and genuinely care about the company and their co-workers. There are many reasons why ABM is a good, solid company to work for.
    • Great people to work with.
    • Fantastic owners who work collaboratively with management.
    • A solid strategic plan created by our CEO to grow the company over time.
    • We publish invaluable content for our audiences across three key vertical markets.
    • We have salespeople who work hard to provide customers with the right solutions.
    • A back-office support team providing exceptional customer service.
    • Solid managers who work very hard and continue to be innovative while holding down the fort.
    • Great benefits including - Flexible hours, good health insurance, nice vacation policy (including several half day summer Fridays).
    • Location – For most employees the locations offer less commuting time which translates to more personal time.
    • A lot of employee driven events “just because”
    • Entrepreneurial environment

Cons

I would like to see more cross functional teamwork.

"Welcome to the ABM App"

Former Employee - Editorial in Rockaway, NJ
    Former Employee - Editorial in Rockaway, NJ

I worked at Advantage Business Media full-time

Pros

There were many talented, experienced people that worked for the company. Almost all of them have been laid off, pushed out, or quit.

Cons

The company used to be a publisher. The editors would solicit and edit the work of writers who were experts in their fields — important for the many technical subjects presented in its B2B publications. Now, the company hires young editors with no knowledge of their subjects and expects them to write useful content. In the past, the company was upfront about the sources of its material. It did not pretend to give original content when the information was industry knowledge. Articles, now, are regurgitated and stamped with a byline — a tech-degraded style trying to imitate other general digital news sources.

Advice to Management

A lack of managerial ability and knowledge of the business (let alone reality) hinders the company from transforming itself from the publisher it once was (albeit flawed) to the tech-fueled content producer its management wishes to create.

Advantage Business Media Response

Oct 17, 2016

Thank you for your feedback regarding your past employment with ABM. While we have undergone significant changes in the past 18 months, moving from a traditional print publisher to a content-driven ... More

"Rock bottom. You can't get any lower than this"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rockaway, NJ

I worked at Advantage Business Media full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Makes you appreciate any other employer much much more than ever before.
    People with "interesting" personalities
    Work with schizophrenic leadership who can't remember or imagines things

Cons

Low Pay
    Lack of Work/life balance
    Unrealistic Expectations
    No journalistic integrity
    "Plans" are not sustainable in the real world

Advice to Management

Close this business. Do the world a favor.

Advantage Business Media Response

Sep 13, 2016 – ABM Management Team

Thank you for your feedback regarding your past employment with ABM. Change is difficult for many and we do our best to ensure that we communicate the direction of the company during company ... More

"RUN.... Just run as fast as you can."

Former Employee - Sales in Newark, NJ
    Former Employee - Sales in Newark, NJ

Pros

None. There is nothing good about this company or it's management.

Cons

worst company I've every worked for. Management is not in touch with reality.

Advice to Management

retire

"Saving a Deck Chair from the Titanic-Not Worth It"

Former Employee - Management in Rockaway, NJ
    Former Employee - Management in Rockaway, NJ

I worked at Advantage Business Media full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

All of the perks of being an employee at ABM have been completely eliminated. At one point the health plan was affordable and well researched, the 401k plan had a great match, and vacation time wasn't capped. There was a great employee relations plan in place which was also stripped leaving morale so low a morgue has more life.

Cons

A once profitable business is being driven off of a cliff at an uncontrollable speed. Successful products were removed to stroke the ego of the product development staff and their brilliant ideas. Upper management has pinned everyone against each other blaming different groups of employees depending on the meeting they are presenting in. The fear each employee has of losing their job is depressing. Turn-over at ABM is at its all time high and no one can figure out why or what's different.

Advice to Management

Business leaders who adopt a attitude that anyone is replaceable, thinking they can simply hire someone with a greater skill set or someone with a more prestigious pedigree,are fooling themselves. When a company has a truly great employee, that employee carries value that can't be replaced. They have extensive product, systems and process knowledge. They hold client relationships that have been built over many years and could take years to duplicate. Great employees have camaraderie & influence with their coworkers, which when lost, impacts the corporate/company's culture within.

"Apply at your own risk!"

Former Employee - Manager in Rockaway, NJ
    Former Employee - Manager in Rockaway, NJ

I worked at Advantage Business Media full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

New offices, but, as they say, you can put lipstick on a pig...

Cons

Do not trust any employee with a Chief in their title. New CEO hs steered this once great company onto the rocks where no tide can raise it. HR treats employees like children. Benefits are below par. Experienced sales staff have been cut or left on their own because of the horrible commission structure. An obsessive compulsion to rid the company of all their long-time employees will prove to be a mistake.

Advice to Management

Take down the pictures on your website of happy employees at company functions. Most of those employees are gone. I guess there are no more similing employees to replace them.

"Smoke & Mirrors"

Current Employee - Senior Management in Rockaway, NJ
    Current Employee - Senior Management in Rockaway, NJ

I have been working at Advantage Business Media full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

There is nothing positive about ABM.

Cons

CEO has destroyed a once thriving B2B publishing giant.

Advice to Management

Only a desperate CEO lays-off 20 talented, dedicated, and hardworking employees. Seriously Jim, time for you to find a new gig.

"Sales"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waukesha, WI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waukesha, WI

I worked at Advantage Business Media (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great Place to work- learned a lot

Cons

Less Micro Management and better work life balance

Advice to Management

Nothing