Advantage Solutions Retail Sales Merchandiser Reviews | Glassdoor

Advantage Solutions CEO Tanya Domier
Tanya Domier

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "As with any Field Management position your work life balance can become blurred" (in 39 reviews)

• "Many jobs only part time though some full time is available (See Pros) Not many benefits unless you keep your average hours per week worked up to 40" (in 89 reviews)

1. "Beyond solid job for good advancement. Don't give this job up."

Former Employee - Retail Sales Merchandiser in Newport News, VA
    Former Employee - Retail Sales Merchandiser in Newport News, VA

I worked at Advantage Solutions full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Travel, easy work, working with management, work on your own schedule.

Cons

Working with stubborn management in Walmart. They can be difficult at times if you aren't an open person.

Advice to Management

Connect with your team more than just meetings.

"Avoid At All Cost"

Former Employee - Retail Sales Merchandiser On CORE Team in Birmingham, AL
    Former Employee - Retail Sales Merchandiser On CORE Team in Birmingham, AL

I worked at Advantage Solutions part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Earn money until you can find a better job.

Cons

Worst company I ever worked for. Just got laid off together with 13 other employees. Company laid off 53 retail supervisors in January just before they went public on the NYSE. Would fire their own grandmother. Worked over 7 years. Received one raise - .20 cents an hour. Part timers receive no holiday, sick or bereavement pay. No acknowledgement, appreciation or retribution of job performance. Will not even come out into the field to buy lunch and see how the reps are doing. Must drive own automobile. First and last hours worked are on your own time. Culture and morale is terrible. Major client is the Smucker's Food group to include Jif, Folgers, Cisco, Martha White, Pillsbury, White Lily and a complete line of pet foods. Spend about 40% of in-store time on this line doing product rotation. Smucker's says jump; Advantage says "how far sir"? They send auditors into markets to look for out-of-date product. If any is found, the store is "failed". Company has approximately 75 other clients. Have a time worked policy that has 18 different steps in order to clock in. Extremely low retention and recruiting rate. Wonder why? Bottom line is money; nothing else Have had legal action initiated more than once for alleged salary payment improprieties. Lastly, had a great supervisor. Caught in no man's land.

Advice to Management

None because management could care less.

"Good Part time Job especially"

Former Employee - Retail Sales Merchandiser in Payson, AZ
    Former Employee - Retail Sales Merchandiser in Payson, AZ

I worked at Advantage Solutions (More than 5 years)

Pros

Flexibility. Independence CAN do more than one function (job) at one time as per your availability and need, this can then become full time

Cons

Many jobs only part time though some full time is available (See Pros) Not many benefits unless you keep your average hours per week worked up to 40.

Advice to Management

Follow through with employees. Return emails and phone calls promptly

"Retail Sales Merchandiser"

Former Employee - Retail Sales Merchandiser

I worked at Advantage Solutions full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Left alone, weekends and holidays off, make own schedule within reason, never see any co workers or boss

Cons

Low mileage pay, no overtime, no raises, little room for advancement, extremely large territories

Advice to Management

Like many stress, raises would be a great start. If you increase a territory, increase mileage pay to go along with the increased car use. Would not recommend anyone getting a job here unless you are retired and want something to do or you are not the primary bread winner.

"Large Turnover, Underpaid, Expensive Benefits, and Treat Employees Like Numbers"

Former Employee - Retail Sales Merchandiser

I worked at Advantage Solutions full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

-Depending on the position, it can be a very easy job in terms of how much work you have to do.
    -As a merchandiser, you have a lot of freedom to work your own territory without someone hanging over you shoulder.

Cons

-This company has a huge amount of turnover. They're constantly laying off employees because they are always losing clients. Just to put it into perspective for you, both of my parents have each been laid off twice, along with myself once. This was all within a two year period.
    -It's amazing how much they underpay their employees. If you have a bachelor's degree and you're lucky, then you might make about $14/hour. But I've seen them recruiting as low as $10/hour.
    -The fuel reimbursement program is very one-sided. They pay you about 30 cents per mile, that's compared to the federal rate of 57 cents. On top of that, they don't cover the first 40 miles of your commute each way. In my case, I often drove that many miles and would cost me $24 each day, which comes out to upwards of $6,000 of non-reimbursed mileage. They also don't pay you for the first hour of drive time for each way of your commute, which can add up to 10 hours a week of unpaid drive time.
    -If you're lucky enough to have a full time job to begin with, the benefits are very expensive. Many employees are kept at part time or are often reduced from full to part time in order to avoid paying out benefits. I cost me over $1,000 a month for medical, dental, and vision coverage for a family. And that's with a $6,000 a year deductible.
    -The company both figuratively and literally treats you like a number. Whenever you call any type of support number you always have to give them you're employee id number. They don't even care about your name or what you do. Whenever they're faced with losing an entire division of employees, they take the easy route and just cut everyone loose. The way they figure it is it's easier to just find another client and hire/rehire people with less pay & benefits.

Advice to Management

-Stop treating your employees like numbers and worthless individuals.
    -Quit saying that "People Are Our Business." It's a giant hypocrisy and a slap in the face. Unless of course you're referring to people as a commodity, because that's certainly never rang more true.

"They are going to sink"

Former Employee - Retail Sales Merchandiser in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Retail Sales Merchandiser in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Advantage Solutions full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Liked my job and the people.

Cons

Pile on the work. Unfair hourly wages hard to get good raises even if you are top employee. With good reviews. New hires come in making more an hour.

Advice to Management

Don't forget the ones that got you where you are. Blame upper management and BDMs, buyers, office junkies in Arkansas for sinking the ship.

Advantage Solutions Response

Sep 6, 2017 – Advantage Solutions Team

Thank you for having been a part of our RSM team and for providing feedback about your pay, workload, and management. We’ve forwarded your concerns to our leadership team for further review, but you... More

7. "Retail Sales Merchandiser"

Current Employee - Retail Sales Merchandiser in Hiawatha, KS
    Current Employee - Retail Sales Merchandiser in Hiawatha, KS

I have been working at Advantage Solutions full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

good communication, work is easy, great hours,

Cons

none that I can think of.

8. "Former RSM and then RSR"

Former Employee - Retail Merchandiser and Retail Sales Representative in Savannah, GA

I worked at Advantage Solutions full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

RSM was part time and lead me to the RSR full time position. Promoting from within. RSR position had sale bonuses, both included meal per Diem with overnight stays and mileage reimbursement. But jobs like this, they are only as good as the managers, Remote working, independently.

Cons

Managers can make or break this type of job, and one did, but I was able to transfer to the RSR position. They prefer to promote college grads over work experience.

Advice to Management

Extremely slow if you don't have a degree and near impossible if you aren't willing to relocate.

Advantage Solutions Response

Jul 24, 2017 – Advantage Solutions Team

Thank you so much for the valuable feedback and for your hard work as a RSM and RSR! We're glad to hear about your growth within the company and that you enjoyed the independent work space that many... More

9. "Retail Sales Merhcandiser"

Current Employee - Retail Sales Merchandiser in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Retail Sales Merchandiser in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Advantage Solutions full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

this is a dream job

Cons

DRT Teams come and go

Advice to Management

try to keep it more level

"Frustrated"

Former Employee - Retail Sales Merchandiser in Provo, UT
    Former Employee - Retail Sales Merchandiser in Provo, UT

I worked at Advantage Solutions part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Own work schedule, flexible hours

Cons

I worked here for 3 years and got a new supervisor 6 months ago.. Just meet him last week. Took us 5 hours to do 2 stores, that would normally only take up to 2 hours, I had a altiod in my mouth and he called HR to tell them he thought he smelled alcohol on my breath, remind you my first time ever meeting him.. Very critical of everything I did for 6 hours. Never had a problem with my former boss, but this guy was so arrogant it was gut wrenching. Worked all day without a lunch and never meeting or working with me before did my review and gave me low scores.. Then said my former boss didn't train me well enough so I'd need to be retrained. This guy was an idiot, if you live in the northwest beware of this management

Advice to Management

Appreciate the workers you have, and communication is key.