Advantage Surveillance Reviews | Glassdoor

Create your profile to get personalized information

Advantage Surveillance Reviews

Updated Dec 9, 2018

Found 36 reviews

1.6
Advantage Surveillance CEO William L. Gregory
William L. Gregory

"Advantage Surveillance is a great place to work!!"

Current Employee - Private Investigator in Winston-Salem, NC

I have been working at Advantage Surveillance full-time for less than a year

Pros

Base Salary is decent but the actual pay is much more due to being paid full hourly rate for travel to and from case. Assigned vehicle Gas Credit Card Hotel/Motel Card Opportunity for weekly bonuses Do you job and you will not be micro-managed.

Cons

Insurance plan isn't the greatest, but hey, you get an insurance plan.

Advice to Management

Really no advice due to the management takes care of you as long as you do your job. That's not asking too much since they hired you to do that job. If i really had to name one thing, it would be to re-evaluate some of the surveillance vehicles. Some of the vehicles are not condusive for mobile survellance.

Advantage Surveillance2016-06-15

"Not consist work schedule"

I worked at Advantage Surveillance

Pros

The company vehicle sounds great but experiences will vary between markets and supervisors. If you have pay issues or vehicle issues they are quick to fix the issues. Good entry level company since they provide the equipment you need for the job.

Cons

There was rarely a weekly schedule. No foresight or communication on work load for the week. Usually waited until 4pm that day to tell you if you were working the next day. If they don’t call you then you were off but you still had to be ready to work at a moments notice even though this time was unpaid. I was told I would get 40- 55 hours a week, realistically I got 15-20 hours but had to be on non paid standby for... 55 hours.

Advice to Management

Increase Communication with the field investigators and be consistent with releasing weekly schedules

Advantage Surveillance2018-12-10

"Good experience with a few issues"

Investigator in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Advantage Surveillance for more than 3 years

Pros

Overall benefits package is a positive : Full rate door to door, Provided Vehicle, Provided Gas Card, Bonus opportunities makes up for the slightly less hourly rate compared to other companies in the field. I believe, especially with the amount of driving done in this job, getting the full rate for travel (plus report writing), and not destroying your own vehicle, is a net gain in comparison to other companies... with higher base rates Some of the management is incredibly competent and very supportive. No work shortage during my 3.5 years there.

Cons

Despite some good managers (usually from outside my region who had to come in and assist my region when the assigned managers couldn't get the job done), there were others in my region that I had to deal with who were either unqualified (hired through what appeared to be through some type of nepotism) or disinterested on the toll this job takes on you. However, I know that at least one of those individuals was let... go early on in my time there, and I believe the other has been let go since I've departed. The job of a PI in general is brutal. In a company like this who has plenty of clients, you will work 6 days a week, 2 hours to location, 8 hour work day, and 2 hours back home. It is tough

Advice to Management

Don't put a 25 year old in charge of region with experienced investigators when he has no idea what he is doing.

Advantage Surveillance2018-11-17

"Ruined My Faith In Good"

Regional Manager in Franklin, TN

I worked at Advantage Surveillance

Pros

Nothing. They were cool at first. Once I got married, it changed. Fired 4 days later.

Cons

- Micor-managing. - Absolutely no work/life balance. You work every day, all day. I was fired for not being available on my wedding day.

Advice to Management

- Let people get married.

Advantage Surveillance2018-09-18

"Terrible place to work if you have a family"

I worked at Advantage Surveillance full-time

Pros

Drive a company vehicle , the ONLY PRO

Cons

Not consistent pay Improper case information Don’t get to pick off days No family time Early morning late nights No enough pay at 13$ hour. Management inexperienced- never been in the field

Advice to Management

Close the entire business

Advantage Surveillance2018-09-15

"Investigator"

I worked at Advantage Surveillance full-time

Pros

They give you a company car with good equipment. That's about it.

Cons

Pay is horrible. They will work you to death and you must in order to get a decent paycheck. No movement to management.

Advice to Management

Pay your investigators better at least equal to the industry. Stop working your investigators to death and let them handle the start times for better results.

Advantage Surveillance2018-05-24
  7. "Employee"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Petersburg, FL

I worked at Advantage Surveillance full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

they will pay more than most Fl companies, but have unreal, constant expectations of employees and addume you have no life outside their domain

Cons

They expect unrealistic work volume, use faulted statistical reports to determine ones field performance which leads to paltry raises...employees in field are faved with 12 hour days or longer many times, and area managets/clients expect field ops to compromise yourself by verifying targets are on site

Advice to Management

Treat them like valued asdets, not expendable, eadily replaceable chatel...then give area msnagers real support in lieu of demanding excessive multi tasking without assistance

Advantage Surveillance2018-05-24
  8. "Worst company ever"

Current Employee - Private Investigator

I have been working at Advantage Surveillance full-time for more than a year

Pros

Even the pros have cons!!!

Cons

Everything about them every case was away in a hotel they complain expect you to sit in a hotel all day when not on a case. They set up hotels which are horrible and nasty salary you can make that at McDonald’s and be home every night.

Advice to Management

Learn to be honest during the interview process and stick to promises you make.

Advantage Surveillance2018-02-09

"Looks Can Be Decieving"

Former Employee - Surveillance Investigator

I worked at Advantage Surveillance part-time for more than a year

Pros

1) Company vehicle with custom built surveillance periscope and video recording system 2) Gas card 3) Hotel card 4) Covert camera and business cell phone provided by the company 5) Steady salary and insurance benefits*

Cons

The package ASI presents can be extremely tempting for a new PI. They bring you down to their HQ in NC for training, give you a custom built company vehicle and everything you need to take care of it. They even throw in a salary and benefits. What more could you want, right? Problem is, all that shiny stuff can be misleading. Your "salary" isn't all it's cracked up to be. Yes, you earn a base amount whether... you work one hour a week or forty but don't expect to be doing anywhere less than 50-60. Since they assign cases within a two hour radius (And sometimes more), a lot of that time is spent driving to and from wherever it is you're supposed to be. Add in the paperwork and it's not uncommon to be working 13 hours per day without two continuous days off. If you're thinking about the raises and bonuses they offer for good performance, think again. All the extra money is based on minutes of video, not cases cleared. It creates an environment where you're punished for going the extra mile and getting the good stuff instead of shooting that extra ten minutes of the subject smoking a cigarette on their porch. All of their vehicles are GPS tagged so any deviation, like filling the tank the night before an early morning case, can result in a phone call from your manager asking why you're using the vehicle without proper authorization. That phone they give you rings pretty much all the time. If it's not your manager checking in, then it's a notification about the frequent changes to your schedule and you'd better be prepared to answer. All in all, ASI isn't a bad company but they have issues with their priorities and almost no semblance of work/life balance for their employees. The people are, by and large, great to work with but the job can be extremely frustrating. If you're a newly minted investigator looking to get their feet wet, the company's a good place to do that. Just don't let them fool you with all the stuff they promise potential recruits. Go in, get your money, and find a job that lets you be a detective as well as a human being.

Advice to Management

Be more forthcoming about how rigorous the job is. The company makes a lot of very attractive promises up front, but doesn't mention just how much of their life and personal time investigators have to sacrifice. Granted, some of that is just the insurance claims industry but enough hasn't been done to mitigate the impact on employees. Also, case managers need to be willing to listen to their investigators in... the field. They can't see what's happening on the ground and they sometimes ask investigators to do things that can be detrimental to the outcome of a case. Trust your people to do the job and let them have some influence over how a case is handled according to what they see. As it stands, they have to hide their decisions from management so as not to ruffle any feathers.

Advantage Surveillance2017-08-17

"One sad lil company"

Current Employee - Investigator in Charleston, SC

I have been working at Advantage Surveillance full-time for less than a year

Pros

Company vehicle, gas card, hotel card

Cons

Employees not valued, low pay, poor benefits

Advice to Management

Your true asset is the talent in those vehicles, not the car itself. Pay your people! Take care of your people! Offer some decent benefits!

Advantage Surveillance2017-06-09