Advantage Surveillance Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Looks Can Be Decieving"

Former Employee - Surveillance Investigator
    Former Employee - Surveillance Investigator

I worked at Advantage Surveillance part-time (More than a year)

Pros

1) Company vehicle with custom built surveillance periscope and video recording system

2) Gas card

3) Hotel card

4) Covert camera and business cell phone provided by the company

5) Steady salary and insurance benefits*

Cons

The package ASI presents can be extremely tempting for a new PI. They bring you down to their HQ in NC for training, give you a custom built company vehicle and everything you need to take care of it. They even throw in a salary and benefits. What more could you want, right?

Problem is, all that shiny stuff can be misleading. Your "salary" isn't all it's cracked up to be. Yes, you earn a base amount whether you work one hour a week or forty but don't expect to be doing anywhere less than 50-60. Since they assign cases within a two hour radius (And sometimes more), a lot of that time is spent driving to and from wherever it is you're supposed to be. Add in the paperwork and it's not uncommon to be working 13 hours per day without two continuous days off.

If you're thinking about the raises and bonuses they offer for good performance, think again. All the extra money is based on minutes of video, not cases cleared. It creates an environment where you're punished for going the extra mile and getting the good stuff instead of shooting that extra ten minutes of the subject smoking a cigarette on their porch.

All of their vehicles are GPS tagged so any deviation, like filling the tank the night before an early morning case, can result in a phone call from your manager asking why you're using the vehicle without proper authorization.

That phone they give you rings pretty much all the time. If it's not your manager checking in, then it's a notification about the frequent changes to your schedule and you'd better be prepared to answer.

All in all, ASI isn't a bad company but they have issues with their priorities and almost no semblance of work/life balance for their employees. The people are, by and large, great to work with but the job can be extremely frustrating. If you're a newly minted investigator looking to get their feet wet, the company's a good place to do that. Just don't let them fool you with all the stuff they promise potential recruits. Go in, get your money, and find a job that lets you be a detective as well as a human being.

Advice to Management

Be more forthcoming about how rigorous the job is. The company makes a lot of very attractive promises up front, but doesn't mention just how much of their life and personal time investigators have to sacrifice. Granted, some of that is just the insurance claims industry but enough hasn't been done to mitigate the impact on employees.

Also, case managers need to be willing to listen to their investigators in the field. They can't see what's happening on the ground and they sometimes ask investigators to do things that can be detrimental to the outcome of a case. Trust your people to do the job and let them have some influence over how a case is handled according to what they see. As it stands, they have to hide their decisions from management so as not to ruffle any feathers.

"One sad lil company"

Current Employee - Investigator in Charleston, SC
    Current Employee - Investigator in Charleston, SC

I have been working at Advantage Surveillance full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Company vehicle, gas card, hotel card

Cons

Employees not valued, low pay, poor benefits

Advice to Management

Your true asset is the talent in those vehicles, not the car itself. Pay your people! Take care of your people! Offer some decent benefits!

"Do not waste your time!!!"

I worked at Advantage Surveillance full-time

Pros

Issued vehicle,hotel card, gas card, and no out of pocket expenses.

Cons

Everything!!! Horrible schedules, long hours, low pay, mistreated by management.

Advice to Management

Increase pay for investigators, better communication, better schedules, shorter travel periods, better work/life balance.

"Don't! Don't! Please don't waste your time, its precious!"

Former Employee - Investigator in New Orleans, LA
    Former Employee - Investigator in New Orleans, LA

I worked at Advantage Surveillance full-time

Pros

There isn't one to tell! They made me put 1 star

Cons

Everything about this place is awful!

Advice to Management

Get new wasted enough of my life on this place and worked there four months! Just don't do it! Spare yourself and your family!

"It sounds cool..."

Former Employee - Internet Researcher in Thomasville, NC
    Former Employee - Internet Researcher in Thomasville, NC

I worked at Advantage Surveillance full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Interesting conversation point. Get to see how sketchy insurance companies and individuals actually are.

Cons

Boys club. If you're happy with lack of advancement and just want to do the job given this is the place. Additionally hours are not consistent. Ask about your benefits and 90 days- you'll see the door soon after. Make the work seem time consuming- that way you look like you're working like everyone else.

Advice to Management

Get some?

"Boys Club"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Thomasville, NC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Thomasville, NC

I worked at Advantage Surveillance full-time

Pros

You get to experience what surveillance is really like.
    Decently stocked garage to out of.

Cons

It's a complete boys club. There is no clearly outlined authoritative figure. Also make sure to pay attention to when your 90 days is up. I mysteriously got booted without any explanation when I asked about my alleged "benefits" and when they'd roll in. Don't expect any loyalty out of them.

Advice to Management

Get some management. This company seems way to dishonest. But I guess that's the nature of people who sneak around for insurance companies.

"Advantage Surveillance is a great place to work!!"

Current Employee - Private Investigator in Winston-Salem, NC
    Current Employee - Private Investigator in Winston-Salem, NC

I have been working at Advantage Surveillance full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Base Salary is decent but the actual pay is much more due to being paid full hourly rate for travel to and from case.

Assigned vehicle
    Gas Credit Card
    Hotel/Motel Card
    Opportunity for weekly bonuses

Do you job and you will not be micro-managed.

Cons

Insurance plan isn't the greatest, but hey, you get an insurance plan.

Advice to Management

Really no advice due to the management takes care of you as long as you do your job. That's not asking too much since they hired you to do that job. If i really had to name one thing, it would be to re-evaluate some of the surveillance vehicles. Some of the vehicles are not condusive for mobile survellance.

"Not a good fit if you have a life."

Former Employee - Surveillance Monkey in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Surveillance Monkey in Tampa, FL

Pros

Nice people in NC offices. Very nice straight up for the most part. Genuinely wanted to see you succeed and be part of the company. Plenty of hours.
    Mike the lead tech is a genuine person.

Cons

Local Florida office different story. I'm not sure if all offices are run this way but, I understand why turnover in the PI aspect is high. Overtime is paid at straight? Pay rate (how is this legal, they need a union).
    My first week I worked 60+ hours including a 2 day period I had 3 hours sleep and traveled 3 hrs each way from my subject.
    When you are required to call in to either supervisor you'll be lucky to get an answer.
    I observed my training partner being dismantled over the phone and then hanged up on by the supervisor for asking what he should do after an incident that was minor. The guys in FL have zero respect for individuals.

Advice to Management

Audit your satellite offices. Be cautious who is in charge of your assets.
    Review your supervisors.
    Pay overtime.

"Private Investigator"

Current Employee - Private Investigator in Charleston, SC
    Current Employee - Private Investigator in Charleston, SC

Pros

Pay is solid, never have to work about getting hours.

Cons

Not for everyone. People with families will have a very hard time with this company. Management always seems to be complaining about little things.

Advice to Management

Treat employee's like you would want to be treated.

"Investigator"

Former Employee - Private Investigator in Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Private Investigator in Nashville, TN

I worked at Advantage Surveillance full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Having a company vehicle and equipment is a plus. They also supply a gas card and hotel card so no out of pocket expenses occur.

Cons

The pay scale is terrible and the raises hare minimal. When it is your evaluation time, they nit pick everything in an attempt to give you a lower wage. The hours are way to many to have a life outside of the company vehicle and if you have a family, forget about them.

Advice to Management

Let me see....where do I start? Don't work your Investigators to death, listen to what they have to say about specific cases as they are the ones in the field and try to let them be home more often even if they don't have kids or a family. I could go on but believe me, they are not listening.