Adventist Health System Reviews | Glassdoor

3.5
Adventist Health System President and CEO Terry Shaw
Terry Shaw

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "They provide any extra training you ask for and they also make sure you have a great work/life balance" (in 16 reviews)

• "Culture, work life balance, faith based" (in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • "The work life balance is struggling, some managers don't carry their weight" (in 4 reviews)

• "Forced "modified holidays" burn more vacation time than you might expect" (in 5 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Love my team"

Pros

I get to geek out about and do what I enjoy, have a boss that understands work/life balance, and my immediate team members are wonderful. I work in a very professional and respectful environment, and I can speak freely and honesty about concerns with my leaders.

Cons

From my experience, none... but I’ll acknowledge that may not be the same for other teams under other leaders.

Advice to Management

Focus and invest on making all your mid-level managers great managers, who manage consistently with your vision. Many managers are already there, or pretty close. Some could use some help.

2. "Rewarding Work"

I have been working at Adventist Health System full-time

Pros

AHS is a very rewarding place to work. I am not a medical professional, but instead work at the corporate hq. Understanding that our work directly supports the hospital staff, and knowing what that means to patients and their families, adds a meaning to the job that I haven't experienced with other companies. It is faith based, but strong affinity to religion is not required. It is, however, nice when a meeting starts with a positive word or a kind thought towards yourself and coworkers. Again, that is something that doesn't take place in other places on a regular basis.

Cons

Corporate environments can sometimes be frustrating. Different agendas sometimes compete and it makes reaching the final objective difficult.

Advice to Management

We have a WholeCare initiative and it's important that everybody follows that doctrine. It is a great thing to introduce into the culture, but you are at risk of losing those who embrace it when they are stepped on by those who don't.

"Poor Benefits, but Exciting Work"

Former Employee - Analyst in Altamonte Springs, FL
    Former Employee - Analyst in Altamonte Springs, FL

I worked at Adventist Health System full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

AHS is doing exciting and important work. Great opportunity to learn and be part of the cutting edge health care field.
    May have early leave on Fridays depending on your department and if work is done. Also a chance to occasionally work from home (also depends on department).

Cons

PDO is well below industry standard and they have expensive/high deductible health insurance. Federal holidays, forced modified holidays, sick days deducted from your PDO balance. New Hires start at 8% accrual. After forced modified holidays, deductions for federal holidays such as Christmas, etc. you are left with about 1 week!! These days have to be used for all vacations and sick days. This is not done at any other company that I know of.

Advice to Management

You claim to be extending "the healing ministry of Christ", but employee benefits (few PDO for actually vacation days and expensive/high deductible health insurance) are well below what is offered anywhere...and in non-faith based companies. Please better align with other companies to better reflect your company's mission and retain talent.

"Equity"

I have been working at Adventist Health System full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Faith based all the way to the top

Cons

Inequitable promotion rates for managers

"Analyst"

Pros

Healthy food options, good work-life balance, opportunities for growth but it takes a lot of time if you are not Adventist

Cons

Highly structured and conservative environment, health benefits are rather expensive

6. "Current employee"

I have been working at Adventist Health System full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great company to work for

Cons

None, it’s a great company

"AHS has a great mission and is in the process of growing even more."

Former Employee - Specialist in Altamonte Springs, FL
    Former Employee - Specialist in Altamonte Springs, FL

I worked at Adventist Health System full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Leaving at 3pm on Fridays
    Religious and companionate work environment
    Beautiful campus, clean facility
    Generally nice people you work with

Cons

- Expensive Health Insurance
    - Below average pay
    - Favoritism & Nepotism (many people are related here, most advancement happens if you are Adventist or related/married to someone who also works here)
    - There are a lot of incompetent people in positions they should not be in simply because of their religion. AHS often has to hire consultants and agencies to actually do the work to make up for the incompetency.
    - Bonus is only $150
    - Forced modified holidays and no paid holidays (you have to use your own PDO for holidays making it nearly impossible to build a bank)
    - Because PDO is so limited (and there is no separate sick bank), most people still work when sick, getting other people sick. The past flu season was horrible, most employees on the main campus were really sick and still coming in to work... spreading the sickness

Advice to Management

Pay more, revisit benefits, hire better talent and promote people that deserve it and work hard (not just because of religion and relationships).

8. "Welcoming"

Pros

Great organization to work for.

Cons

More pay, better benefits, more job openings

Advice to Management

Always remember without the nurses and techs hospitals don’t run.

"Assistant"

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Altamonte Springs, FL
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Altamonte Springs, FL

I have been working at Adventist Health System full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Nice corporate facilities
    Office closes at 3pm on Fridays
    Offers health benefits for FT employees

Cons

-Compensation is WAY below the current market standard. ($10-15K difference)
    -PTO does not make sense. You are required to use your own time for ALL holidays and even the modified days (day before/after the holiday) They pay you absolutely NOTHING when the office is closed for holidays.
    -They are allowing directors to move individuals into mgmt roles without them having any experience in leadership or even completing college. Its insulting when you have a manager with only a high school diploma.
    -No real room for growth unless you are part of the SDA community and/or a child or relative of a VP.

Advice to Management

Please stop promoting employees that have no management experience into those roles.
    Why are you not requiring a college degree & leadership experience for these positions?

"Run away"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hanford, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hanford, CA

I have been working at Adventist Health System full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

None other then pay check

Cons

Worst management just run as far possible away from this company. bad bad bad

Advice to Management

shutdown