Adventist Health System Reviews | Glassdoor

3.6
Adventist Health System President and CEO Terry Shaw
Terry Shaw

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "They provide any extra training you ask for and they also make sure you have a great work/life balance" (in 17 reviews)

• "Faith based all the way to the top" (in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • "The work life balance is struggling, some managers don't carry their weight" (in 4 reviews)

• "It is IT and the corporate office but no job sharing or working from home and too secretive about the new promotion step program instituted" (in 6 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Love my team"

Pros

I get to geek out about and do what I enjoy, have a boss that understands work/life balance, and my immediate team members are wonderful. I work in a very professional and respectful environment, and I can speak freely and honesty about concerns with my leaders.

Cons

From my experience, none... but I’ll acknowledge that may not be the same for other teams under other leaders.

Advice to Management

Focus and invest on making all your mid-level managers great managers, who manage consistently with your vision. Many managers are already there, or pretty close. Some could use some help.

2. "Great Company"

I have been working at Adventist Health System full-time

Pros

I love the strategic direction that we're taking for the future of healthcare

Cons

There is nothing at this time

3. "Phlebotomy"

I worked at Adventist Health System full-time

Pros

Love my patients,forming relationships,and the atmosphere.

Cons

I wouldn't want to work12 hour shifts,I need 8 hours or less.

4. "Specialist"

Former Employee - Specialist in Altamonte Springs, FL
    Former Employee - Specialist in Altamonte Springs, FL

I worked at Adventist Health System full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Leave at 3pm on Fridays
    Generally good people
    Beautiful office
    Bathrooms are nice and clean

Cons

- Low salary for people below manager level
    - Benefits (maternity leave is awful, especially for healthcare company)
    - PDO is horrible
    - CEO expects rapid growth with the same resources. Be prepared to be burned out
    - There are company leaders that don’t understand what people in certain departments do, so they assume they do nothing and don’t approve additional resources when they are needed
    - Incompetent people in roles they shouldn’t be in because they know people, are related/married to someone in the company, or are Adventist

Advice to Management

Don’t only focus on patient care. Figure out how you can better serve your employees.

"I honestly love my job"

I have been working at Adventist Health System full-time

Pros

Culture is fabulous: caring, professional, kind, helpful, teamwork focused, futuristic and working towards consistency. Very happy about the initiatives towards becoming one team. I work with so many knowledgeable people, my boss is amazing, and I truly enjoy what I do. If I have to work, I wouldn’t want to work anywhere else. I enjoy the religious focus of the company but if you aren’t religious, you can probably just go along with most of it and be fine. If you’re against religion, it probably won’t be your cup of tea.

Cons

Flexible scheduling desperately needed. Particularly work from home options, PTO severely lacking. Career progression needs work. Cafeteria food is significantly overpriced. If you claim to care about your employees “wholely”, the prices for the healthier cafeteria food shouldn’t be so high. That’s minor but just an annoyance.

Advice to Management

Work from home has been discussed at great length for quite some time. Listen to your staff.

6. "Vice President"

Current Employee - Vice President in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Vice President in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Adventist Health System full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Highly motivated company focused on the mission “Extending the Healing Ministry of Christ”

Cons

Company is growing and we are experiencing some growing pains but overcoming them.

7. "This is by far one of the best organizations I ever worked for!"

Current Employee - Respite Care Provider in Manchester, KY
    Current Employee - Respite Care Provider in Manchester, KY

I have been working at Adventist Health System full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The Christ centered mission is lived out within the facility.

Cons

There are really no cons.

Advice to Management

Please keep expanding service lines for the surrounding communities.

8. "Rewarding Work"

I have been working at Adventist Health System full-time

Pros

AHS is a very rewarding place to work. I am not a medical professional, but instead work at the corporate hq. Understanding that our work directly supports the hospital staff, and knowing what that means to patients and their families, adds a meaning to the job that I haven't experienced with other companies. It is faith based, but strong affinity to religion is not required. It is, however, nice when a meeting starts with a positive word or a kind thought towards yourself and coworkers. Again, that is something that doesn't take place in other places on a regular basis.

Cons

Corporate environments can sometimes be frustrating. Different agendas sometimes compete and it makes reaching the final objective difficult.

Advice to Management

We have a WholeCare initiative and it's important that everybody follows that doctrine. It is a great thing to introduce into the culture, but you are at risk of losing those who embrace it when they are stepped on by those who don't.

"Fair and Thorough Review - Corporate HQ, Orlando"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Orlando, FL

I worked at Adventist Health System full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Allows you to leave early on Friday depending on workload. Good work/life balance.
    -Quiet atmosphere, which is magnificent for productivity.
    -If you get into the right department, you can have good leaders and great coworkers that try to help you grow. They do exist!!! Unfortunately some other departments are dreadful, so it really depends what your dealt.
    - Wonderful, updated campus.

Cons

- The atmosphere is deafeningly quiet. Good for productivity, but bad for collaboration, communication, and team growth. You have to strike the right balance and I agree it is difficult to do. Many times coworkers come into work and barely talk to anyone all day because that is the culture they want. How can you spur great ideas without communication?

- The dress code and religious culture is not welcoming to millennials / anyone under 35. This is 2018, not 1960s. We are all smart enough to judge people by their character instead of their looks.

This is hurting both your talent acquisition and retention. If you were in an industry that had many competitors, you would have already lost and dissolved as a company. Fortunately, everyone needs medical care and there are few competitors, so you can "afford" to stay behind in talent and technology.

- Due to the religious aspect, you will be bringing in several times more religious-geared employees than science-geared employees. That means less innovation, less new ideas, less breakthroughs. The science-geared employees will feel outcasted and left out with few to talk to openly about this religious / science disparity. To keep them and bring them, you need to be more open-minded about religions.

Advice to Management

- Orlando is becoming more and more diverse as times goes on and you need to adjust both your dress code, non-talking culture, and religion/churchy atmosphere. Otherwise, you are alienating both your potential employees and your PR standing in the community.

- There are too many closed door discussions and hierarchy going on with senior management. This is not welcoming to anyone who wants to work on an innovative, fast paced team and spur growth.

"Poor Benefits, but Exciting Work"

Former Employee - Analyst in Altamonte Springs, FL
    Former Employee - Analyst in Altamonte Springs, FL

I worked at Adventist Health System full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

AHS is doing exciting and important work. Great opportunity to learn and be part of the cutting edge health care field.
    May have early leave on Fridays depending on your department and if work is done. Also a chance to occasionally work from home (also depends on department).

Cons

PDO is well below industry standard and they have expensive/high deductible health insurance. Federal holidays, forced modified holidays, sick days deducted from your PDO balance. New Hires start at 8% accrual. After forced modified holidays, deductions for federal holidays such as Christmas, etc. you are left with about 1 week!! These days have to be used for all vacations and sick days. This is not done at any other company that I know of.

Advice to Management

You claim to be extending "the healing ministry of Christ", but employee benefits (few PDO for actually vacation days and expensive/high deductible health insurance) are well below what is offered anywhere...and in non-faith based companies. Please better align with other companies to better reflect your company's mission and retain talent.