Adventist Medical Center Reviews | Glassdoor

Joyce Newmyer

1. "Physician Liaison"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tigard, OR
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tigard, OR

I worked at Adventist Medical Center (More than 3 years)

Pros

Phenomenal culture where leadership (and all levels) are dedicated to the mission. A "healthy" place to work on all levels - physical, emotional, and spiritual.

Cons

Like any large organization, it takes considerable time and energy to make significant changes.

"Can't keep up with healthcare trends"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I worked at Adventist Medical Center full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Some of the people are great, caring, and compassionate when it comes to patient care. The hospital has won a few awards in this area.

Cons

Adventist Medical Center. It used to be good, but just has so many hurdles to overcome, I just don't feel they will be successful in the future of healthcare.

Employees used to feel valued. This is slowly slipping away with increasing health plan premiums, unfair wages, and top heavy management. Employees also have very little resources when it comes to mobility. There is no clinical ladder, performance appraisals are a joke, and management write them based on the last two weeks of your work performance. The only way to move up is to be a relative of a member of management, or go to an Adventist church.

They have created a very disjointed system. They utilize two application systems for care: Cerner systems within the hospital, and Epic within the 40 clinics they run. They have also partnered with Cerner to manage employees of Adventist in some departments. This creates a very awkward message to employees as well as patients, because both companies just don't have a mission that aligns with one another.

They struggle with branding, and really entering a community they don't understand the demographic for. They currently only hold about 6% of the market for healthcare in the area. They just can't compete with the other large organizations who are well known for quality care.

They have recently undergone a transformation to move several entities of administration to the corporate office located in Roseville California. They are changing the mission, investing in new HRIS systems, and shifting several things to make the entire organization run as one entity, instead of separate hospitals. Hopefully this change goes well, however they are still riddled with hardship during this process due to the amount of upper management. For example why would an organization have 19 CFO's? Shouldn't there only be one... at the corporate office? Is there really a need for a Director, Manager, and Supervisors, over each department, at each hospital? Hopefully this will be looked into later, and the new corporate structure will realize and eliminate redundant positions and invest more on the positions that provide quality care and community outreach. Adventist Medical Center is just so slow to make any changes, by the time they do it may be too late. I would love to see another organization (possibly OHSU) come in and take over (not just partner) because the location really is convenient for patients and employees on the East side of Portland. Would be a great place to work if it was more efficiently run.

"Unprofessional clinic management and high turnover rate"

Former Employee - Registration in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Registration in Portland, OR

I worked at Adventist Medical Center full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

My fellow employees were great. They are probably what had kept me there so long.

Cons

Management constantly unavailable (I had 5 supervisors in 4 years), unrealistic standards to cut labor costs, poor pay, hiring "outside sources" instead of building employees within, multiple reports of bullying from management, more concern about clocking in correctly rather than patient care, some unprofessionalism from staff due to often absent managment.

Advice to Management

Show more appreciation to staff by building them up to their potential instead of breaking them down, closely monitor clinic administrators, increase pay, have management abailable at ALL TIMES (including small clinics), take all employee complaints seriously.

"Account Rep in Business Office"

Former Employee - Patient Account Representative in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Patient Account Representative in Portland, OR

I worked at Adventist Medical Center full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Decent pay, although not as good as other hospitals in the area. Healthcare package is pretty good. High turn-over, so always hiring!

Cons

Management is outsourced to Cerner. Departments are being consolidated to corporate in California. Work is always being outsourced.
    It's not as family friendly as it used to be. Adventist.. or they should just be called Cerner now.. has gone downhill.

Advice to Management

Can you raise wages to match the market in the area? Can you adequately train and hire the right employees so that people would stop quitting? Reassess the decisions that are being made, before there isn't an Adventist left to work for.

"Quality Assurance/Case Management"

Former Employee - CM RN in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - CM RN in Portland, OR

I worked at Adventist Medical Center (More than 5 years)

Pros

Honest attempt at family atmosphere, work-life balance, fair treatment of employees, competitive salary.

Cons

Appears to be doing poorly financially, high workload for case managers, restructuring with partner company Cerner has led to reporting to supervisors who do not even work for the same company!

Advice to Management

Too much emphasis on impossible daily work quotas chase off devoted talent.

7. "staff RN"

Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Camas, WA
    Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Camas, WA

I worked at Adventist Medical Center full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Very little drama. Hospital treats it's employees well, and it's small enough that some people become like family. They seem to hire very carefully, which results in really good co-workers (for the most part). Pay is not the highest in the area, but I always felt listened to and respected there. Their health insurance is excellent.

Cons

No clinical ladder or incentive pay for earning certifications or BSN, MSN. Education reimbursement is less than other places.

Advice to Management

Consider adding incentives for furthering education.

8. "Certified Medical Assistant"

Current Employee - Certified Medical Assistant in Tillamook, OR
    Current Employee - Certified Medical Assistant in Tillamook, OR

I have been working at Adventist Medical Center full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I love my co workers and most of my patients.

Cons

No room for growth in career. I have 10+ yrs experience and cannot make any more. Poor communication from management.

Advice to Management

Know the job you manage. I feel like none of the management has any idea what an MA really does in a day.
    I keep hearing about incentive to work harder but to be honest, the only thing that would motivate me to work harder would be more money.

9. "Amazing place to work, very spiritually unique"

Current Employee - Administrative in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Administrative in Portland, OR

I have been working at Adventist Medical Center full-time

Pros

Adventist is a very positive environment to work, and one of very few places where not only are employees allowed, but encouraged to be spiritually engaged. Adventist is a team environment, the entire hospital works as a team, and provide excellent patient care.

Cons

Adventist is one of the lower paying hospitals in Oregon. Other than the less than competitive wages offered, there are no other cons that come to mind.

Adventist Medical Center Response

Sep 1, 2015 – Director of Human Resources

Thank you for your review, I’m glad you’re seeing our mission lived out at the hospital. We appreciate your feedback regarding pay. Our goal is to make Adventist Medical Center the best place for ... More

10. "Monitor Tech"

Current Employee - Monitor Technician in Reedley, CA
    Current Employee - Monitor Technician in Reedley, CA

I have been working at Adventist Medical Center part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great hospital and doctors, love working here.

Cons

Nothing yes it is a small hospital and fills up quick.

11. "Medical Assistant"

Former Employee - Medical Assistant in Oregon City, OR
    Former Employee - Medical Assistant in Oregon City, OR

I worked at Adventist Medical Center (Less than a year)

Pros

Very Personable, Caring, Curate , energetic, Managed 3-5 MA's , worked side by side with several Doctors. Have knowledge of all aspects of a medical clinic with front office also, I also have my Limited X-RY Permit

Cons

none that i am aware of, Maybe doing to much myself .

Advice to Management

Do all you can to provide exceptional knowledge needed to gain the Degree they want., with proper guidance.

Adventist Medical Center Response

May 25, 2015 – Director of Human Resources

Thank you for your feedback. -Shane