Advertising Checking Bureau Reviews | Glassdoor

2.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Brian Mc Shane

1. "Claims Processors"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative/DATA ENTRY CLERK in Memphis, TN

I have been working at Advertising Checking Bureau full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good work hours, holiday friendly, ok starting pay, no weekends and a casual work environment.

Cons

Always cold year round

Advice to Management

N/A

"Claims Processor/ CSR"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Memphis, TN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Memphis, TN

I worked at Advertising Checking Bureau full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Easy work...weekends off & paid holidays!

Cons

There is no advancement to move in higher positions even if you have a college degree. Low starting pay and terrible benefits. When a better position come available they decide to hire outside instead of training current employees even if your well qualified for the job. There is a lack of communication with team members, account specialist, and supervisors. Micromanagement of auditing claims is bothersome especially if you actually do meet and exceed your quota.

Advice to Management

Unprofessional supervisors. There needs to be an employee evaluation on upper management and supervisors on how to conduct themselves. Teach your employees about proper phone etiquette. There needs to be professionalism training on supervisors especially in the office setting.

"HELL ON EARTH"

Pros

Off on holidays and flexibility, that's it

Cons

For starters, they are prejudice and discriminate against blacks. They hired there family members and take away overtime for petty reasons and hire temps, which backfires because they show up one day and the next day they don't. If you are black and refer someone you know, they will not hire them..unless they are white. Management is horrible and the recently hired supervisors are unprofessional as well.

Advice to Management

Stop treating black people like they are garbage. We have families, bills and responsiblites just like you. If you keep running the company the way your doing and keep doing unethical things, you will be the one to blame for running YOUR company in the ground...not the employees.

"Find Another Ship, This One is Sinking."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tempe, AZ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tempe, AZ

Pros

Working with this company has motivated me to redo my resume and find another job! Thank goodness for recruiters.

Cons

This is the worst company that I have ever worked for. Nothing but a revolving door for employment. No loyalty, weak leadership and questionalble business practices.

Looking at their current job descriptions, they promise the following:

Paid training because your success is our success
    Feel appreciated with our unique recognition programs
    Generous referral bonus
    Competitive pay with opportunities for merit increases after 90 days and annually
    Stay healthy with medical, dental and vision insurance benefits
    Develop financial security with our 401K plan
    Work/life balance with 7.5 hour work days and paid time off such as personal, sick and vacation days
    Stay engaged with employee events, such as free breakfast once a month

The truth:
    Paid training - try a bunch of oudated powerpoint slides created about 10 years ago. The company does not pay for any certifications, schooling or basically anything that would make you more marketable. Why would they want you to become certified in something when they would then need to pay you more?
    Recognition programs - They have this stupid STAR program where each month your peers nominate you for the STAR peer award and basically pass back and forth this stupid brass star while telling the department about why their peer deserved the award. There is no monetary benefit or anything other than "praise" by your peers. Most people try to avoid this award.
    Generous referral bonus - Don't know how generous it is to those that you refer, as you are doing a disservice to anyone that you refer. Please refer them elsewhere if you want to maintain your friendship.
    Competitive pay - YOU HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME! They get rid of people and then try to rehire people to do the same thing for less.
    Medical Benefits - Your better off on an exchange.
    401K plan - great if you can afford to contribute anything.
    Work/life balance - Vacation policies are dated. 7.5 hour workdays (hourly people get cheated here). If you are salaried, you work more than 7.5 hours.
    Employee events - Free peanut butter and doughnuts once a month . . . WHOOPEE!

The only people that stick around are those that are either too old to find another job (and if they are too old and make too much, they are shown the door - if they are not in with the Management team).

The management team is more like a ship of fools (Please reference Plato's Republic for further clarification). The Supervisory staff appears to be lead by a real estate champion with complete disregard for others and a sincere desire to look good at all costs to upper management regardless of the negative impact that it may have on direct reports or peers.

Find another ship, this one is sinking.

Advice to Management

How can anyone provide advice to a Management team that is closed for business? Don't waste your breath with feedback, as it is really unwanted.

"Very petty environment"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tempe, AZ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tempe, AZ

I worked at Advertising Checking Bureau full-time

Pros

It paid the bills, barely.

Cons

Working for ACB is better than being homeless, but not by much. Leadership is fundamentally clueless as to how to run a professional, profitable, efficient operation. It's rare to encounter so many supervisors and managers who are so busy, but accomplish nothing but creating chaos. The employees are "kept in line" while being fed BS about being part of a "family".

My recommendation is, if you're offered a job and need to pay rent, take the job, but keep looking.

"Specialist"

Former Employee - Account Specialist in Tempe, AZ
    Former Employee - Account Specialist in Tempe, AZ

I worked at Advertising Checking Bureau full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Casual work environment, easy work schedule, no weekends, little to no phone work, close to freeways, great people and management support and friendliness. Office management is very supportive to ideas but lack the autonomy to really bring it up the chain to make necessary changes. I loved the management staff and co workers. Great job to be at if you're starting out in the workforce, but not a career long term. Requires attention to detail, which was easy for me. Monthly breakfasts, 37.5 hour weeks but still considered full time.

Cons

Training was subpar and disorganized. Training books were outdated. No training given on systems, you pretty much had to figure it out in your own. Must be a self starter-- which isn't a con for someone like me, but saw many people struggling. Employees joke about the turnover rate of new hires as if it's the norm---and it is. In my tenure there i saw 8 people walk out in a short amount of time. Yearly increases only a max of 1.5% and not paid on performance no matter how much work you do (would take me 15 years at this rate to make $25 per hour!) May have worked if you were living in 1965 but this is 2016. Operating systems are from the 90s. This company wastes a LOT of paper. The printer constantly ran all day. People are generally unhappy there if you're new (less than 5 years). Not challenging at all. For a company that's been in business almost 100 years, and turns over millions and millions of dollars a year it seems-- they could pay their specialists(and their managers) more per hour. Other positions elsewhere for the same exact job paid almost double what their hourly rate is. A lot of responsibility for such little pay. The turnover is so high there I doubt they'll even know who this is coming from. Coffee isn't free either except on Fridays.

Advice to Management

Pay on performance. You can afford it. If you want quality people and for them to stay , you need to change your pay structure.

"Not the best place!"

Pros

The team members are great to work with. Everyone will help you to ensure the job gets done! I loved working with my team!

Cons

I would not recommend as they have a lot to learning to keep good employees. Management has their favorites and makes it clear as to who those are. They spend time that could be used for teaching and growing their teams, to instead make fun of and talk about team members. The first time you will hear about expectations are in a write up and once written up they actively try to find things to take it to the next step instead of working to help the employee be successful! I wouldn't recommend working here but only because of the lack of professional management!

Advice to Management

It would not be taken even if I did share!

"Take the Job at Target!"

I have been working at Advertising Checking Bureau full-time

Pros

Lower level employees are nice and I do enjoy working with them.

Cons

From a conceptual standpoint, this company would have the ability to really rock it if they had the right people and the right thinking. Sadly, even though this company may have been around for 100 + years, their technology and management finesse appears to be very dated.

From a technology perspective, they are still using classic ASP for much of their architecture and the developers are shackled by the management that is in place. Status quo appears to be the norm and the desire to be mediocre is the rule of thumb. It seems a bit odd that a company like this wouldn't want to use more current technology. If the clients only knew what was really behind the curtain . . . .

From a management perspective, this company is riddled with faux management and a perceived disregard for how to treat people. General Management continues to alienate many of the Supervisors and office staff with their preferential treatment of certain individuals. Management team appears to be a species of invertabrate with no real ability to lead. To be a true leader requires the respect of those that you are leading. Select managers should find new mentors that could actually help them move forward in their careers. As it stands, management team are mostly yes men responsible for the production of the daily clown show.
    Most Supervisors are great with the exception of some. To be a successful Supervisor the required reading list may include Leadership Secrets of Atilla the Hun and Management by Intimidation and might also require having highest turnover in the office. (Be forewarned, if a job opens up and it hints of "Rebates", take the cashier job at Target!)
    Very strange that I have never seen a woman of color (or a man for that matter) in a management position in the Tempe office

As for the Memphis office, hmm, coming away from there, I had the distinct impression that the server room was inhabited and powered by hamsters and that they may have promoted former Janitors into positions of authority. Lord, this company needs many prayers and a hug. Can I get an Amen?

Advice to Management

Listen to those that REALLY matter. In this case, the ones that do the work.

10. "Supervisor"

Current Employee - Supervisor in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Supervisor in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Advertising Checking Bureau full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The atmosphere is great, the people are what keep you coming back every day. The job itself is unique. The flex schedule, ability to make up time that was missed during the week, casual dress, monthly free breakfasts, and a laid back environment are all great things about ACB. It's also close to the freeways.

Cons

The 37.5 hour work week - many people think this is a perk, but actually you end up making less $$ because you work less hours. In addition, the pay range is already low compared to other companies and related job descriptions. Also, the technology - computers, updates, programs we use, etc. are very out of date and we are financially unable to keep up with the demands of technology changes.

Advice to Management

I think management does it's best and cares about the company and it's employees.

"Account Specialist"

Former Employee - Account Specialist in Southaven, MS
    Former Employee - Account Specialist in Southaven, MS

I worked at Advertising Checking Bureau (More than a year)

Pros

Casual work environment. Great co-workers.

Cons

Low pay. Few advancement opportunities. Outdated technology.

Advice to Management

Pay people what they are worth