Advisory Board Dedicated Advisor Reviews | Glassdoor

Advisory Board CEO Robert W. Musslewhite
Robert W. Musslewhite
  1. "Great Experience"

I have been working at Advisory Board full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Excellent opportunity for people right out of college to learn a lot of skills including communication, project management and strategic thinking

Cons

Since the Advisory Board is consistently growing there are a lot of changes so it is often difficult to have one good manager for a long period of time.

Advisory Board2015-02-16
  2. "Great Place To Work"

Former Employee - Dedicated Advisor

I worked at Advisory Board full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great environment, great people, good benefits

Cons

Lots of travel, long hours, lower pay

Advisory Board2019-09-18
  3. "Good opportunity"

Former Employee - Dedicated Advisor in Washington, DC

I worked at Advisory Board full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Give young professionals a surprising level of exposure to client executives and end users on a regular basis

Cons

Salary and compensation isn't the most competitive, but this gap narrows and even exceeds that of similar companies at the associate director and director levels.

Advisory Board2019-02-06
  4. "great place to learn, not worth sticking around"

I have been working at Advisory Board full-time for more than a year

Pros

young, motivated staff who are, for the most part, genuinely invested in making healthcare better

Cons

advancement based on tenure, paid less than industry average, high turnover

Advisory Board2018-02-05
  5. "When it's good, it's good... when it's bad, not so great."

I have been working at Advisory Board full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I've had some terrific managers and very smart colleagues. Great PTO and other benefits.

Cons

Work-life balance can be a challenge. If not 'drinking the kool-aid' or exactly aligned with traditional career path, then upward progress can move at a glacial pace. Lots of turnover. Frequently understaffed. Inconsistent management and application of protocol.

Advisory Board2017-10-29

"A good start to your healthcare career, but not a forever job."

I have been working at Advisory Board full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good culture that adapts and changes to the healthcare landscape. They have a strong mission and values that they ensure their employees know and embed in their work. The Austin office is a much more laid back atmosphere and I would highly recommend working from that office if possible. They offer nice amenities by accommodating employees with a nice modern office, game tables, modern furniture, and community areas... that offer free Coca Cola products as well as coffee and tea. ABC is a good company that cares about truly improving healthcare.

Cons

The Advisory Board is currently looking to sell the company which is not going over well with employees as we are certain they are more concerned with appeasing investors than their dedicated employees. When I first started I fell in love with ABC but as of late, have started to realize they truly care more about making money than improving healthcare. One of our corporate members came to the office a few months... back and when she was proposed a question regarding money and our mission she said, without money you can't have a mission. Although this is true it isn't comforting to employees that are more concerned with helping hospitals as compared to charging them $100,000 a year for a product that works but still needs a large amount of improvement. Also their products are very good at solving one problem and they don't talk to each other. So instead of creating a few really good products they charge hospitals way too much money for each individual product on a subscription basis that adds up quickly. Also it is luck of the draw with your manager my first manager was amazing and I wish I could have followed her to her current product line but now I was given a first time manager who is very good at pointing out mistakes and shortfalls through micromanaging. Therefore I am now on the job search for something better.

Advice to Management

Don't sell the company. I can almost guarantee you (whether you sell or not) that you will no longer be in the Top 100 healthcare employers come 2018. Your employees bust their butts to make your products work for members who really don't think it solves their problems. Due to recent conversations I can tell you are starting to understand that but frankly I don't think you will be able to produce solutions utilizing... technology fast enough. I can't even get them to make simple improvements to my product line within a year. Your development team needs an overhaul because they are just not getting it done fast enough to be competitive. They are also very adamantly unresponsive and don't accept feedback or tasks well. Regardless, you have done the worst thing a growing company can do and that is instill fear in their loyal employees by threatening to sell the company. We are smart and understand that no matter what you say, when you sell the company, no one is ever safe (At this scale). I wish the best for the firm.

Advisory Board2017-02-16
  7. "Great place to start a career"

I have been working at Advisory Board full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great place to grow a career

Cons

Can get lost in the shuffle and pay is a little less than market rate

Advisory Board2017-01-10

"Great people, but growing pains"

I have been working at Advisory Board full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Excellent, smart people to work with - best part of the job and can't emphasize that enough. Benefits and work life balance are for the most part great - especially big 25 day PTO policy. It's great to work with hospitals every day, you know that you are making an impact, no matter how small.

Cons

Though we have a great, healthcare mission, we're still a for profit company at the end of the day and cannot support all hospitals with forward-thinking solutions yet because they are not ready. Lack of trust in company's leadership to make the hard decisions. Growing pains. Not all products are workflow tools, could be put lower in priority because of all of the regulatory pressures on hospitals today.

Advisory Board2016-11-08
  9. "Dedicated Advisor"

Dedicated Advisor in Washington, DC

I have been working at Advisory Board

Pros

Terrific work-life balance, 25 days of PTO, engaging and creative work. Young and driven colleagues who bring energy to the workplace.

Cons

Financial Compensation is on the low-end of "competitive". Management knows this but feels that "compensation" through PTO and Happy Hours is sufficient.

Advice to Management

Continue investing in management development. Most employees and managers are relatively young with little management experience. Lately there has been an initiative to provide 2.0 level training for managers, this has been well received and I have seen a noticeable improvement.

Advisory Board2016-06-02
  10. "Challenging Environment"

I have been working at Advisory Board full-time for more than a year

Pros

All divisions besides Consulting & Management (former Southwind) promote work life balance. A lot of very smart people work at ABC and they do an excellent job of recruiting rock star employees.

Cons

Very disorganized and a lot of changes happening. Definitely not a static organization.

Advisory Board2016-04-06