Adzerk Reviews | Glassdoor

Adzerk Reviews

3.9
Rating Trends Rating Trends
James Avery

1. "Best place I've ever worked"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Durham, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Durham, NC

I have been working at Adzerk full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Exciting product with real product/market fit. Great people, lots of perks, and everyone treats each other with respect. Feels like a family more so than an office. Also - clients love us, which is always nice.

Cons

Durham may not be the "hippest" city, but the area does have a lot of merits nonetheless. Plus, the Triangle is an up-and-coming tech scene.

Advice to Management

Let's keep the same culture and energy as we grow. Let's always focus on providing the best product and service vs growth for sake of growth.

2. "Great place if you want flexibility but instability"

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Durham, NC
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Durham, NC

I worked at Adzerk full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Adzerk has a unique laid back culture, nice work ergonomics (desks, seats, computers are all set up in your favor), and employees are friendly with no work drama. Full coverage healthcare with low copays is also a pro. Management is not strict; they don't ask questions if you have to come in late or even work from home--that kind of flexibility was nice (we are all adults here and I'd come from a micromanaged place). They have snacks, drinks, and a yoga instructor once weekly. And they do company lunch once monthly.

Cons

This company considers letting people go just a growing pain of being a start up. They are financially ill equipped to hire, train and sustain someone through the ups & downs of a first year sales pipeline (laying people off after just a few months). The technology being sold is an API platform and fairly complex (can also be unique depending on what a customer wants). Typical sales jobs have a ramp up time of 3-6 months with some complex product taking 6-9 months (so this company has unrealistic expectations or they need to spell out the expectations at interview time and say "You will be let go if _____"). There was no training time (other than a demo), no sales product book & no sales play book to reference. Sales Reps ask questions to the VP of sales and he has you learn the product from him directly as the weeks go on. This would be trial by fire except he travels, has meetings, takes vacations or works from home. Another con-sales leads were supposed to come from a 'pre-determined company list'. The targeted companies to prospect had already been emailed 1-3 times previously. It was an exhausted company account target list. Email is the preferred prospecting method and potential customers simply replied "take me off your list" or "unsubscribe". I requested new companies to target but there was no such plan in place. Overall I didn't see any sales strategy, sales support, or continual sales training given the technology was constantly updating, nor any true metrics in place to track how long a lead to sale took, and there is no building of ones career.

Advice to Management

-Tell employees what's going on with the state of the business and the plan with employees. Employees don't know the state of their employment other than "employed" if management does not tell them. If there is risk-shoot it to them straight. If there is necessary improvement, plan a strategy don't push them off Working on an exhausted company list and random tasks means trolling LI and being under challenged. Give employees a day with purpose.
    -The company needs more direction. I think they are so set on being flexible that requests for guidance, strategy or a plan to succeed is literally looked at as too boxy. Employees are adults they don't need hand holding however strategy would allow an employee longer ramp up times for individuality and the business to forecast huge deals.

3. "Fantastic engineering focused company"

Former Employee - Engineer in Durham, NC
    Former Employee - Engineer in Durham, NC

I worked at Adzerk full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great company culture, great management team, clear product focus. If you're an engineer looking to work for a startup, this is a great choice. Great life/work balance for a startup.

Cons

Possibly the limited growth opportunities, but the company is so young. I'm sure that will change. There is no management, but that's probably a pro. They made me fill out this section! Great company.

"Small software company with strong hacker culture."

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Durham, NC
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Durham, NC

I worked at Adzerk full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Unlimited PTO, very small team size, employer provided laptop (Mac Book Pro), health insurance benefits, huge monitors, engaged and intelligent co-workers, technically savvy CEO.

Cons

Located in Durham, unclear work/life separation, uncompetitive pay scale, blogging required, management team not interested in employee insights/opinions, world's crappiest internet connections.

6. "A great company with some growing pains"

I worked at Adzerk full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fun culture, interesting work and customers, great benefits (insurance covers you and family 100%), foosball, snacks, game days. Smart, motivated coworkers, unlimited vacation policy, working with REDDIT! Macbooks and Mac workstations, Employee Bill of Rights and Company Values.

Cons

There's a lot of instability, as can be expected in a young startup. Frequent layoffs. Management needs to get better about communicating plans and expectations to the rest of the company.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing, but remember that your staff doesn't know all the things you know until you tell them!

"Amazing"

Pros

This company respects hard work and talent. I have loved just about every minute of my time here and can't wait for every other future day.

Cons

There really aren't a lot of cons other than not having windows because we are in the American Underground. But it definitely keeps you focused and without as many distractions like amazing weather ;)