Aecon "work life balance" Reviews | Glassdoor

Aecon Employee Reviews about "work life balance"

Updated 29 Jul 2019

4.2
Aecon CEO John M. Beck
John M. Beck
Cons

Reviews about "work life balance"

Return to all Reviews

"Clear difference between what Aecon says it is and what it actually is"

Current Employee - Prefer Not to Say in Ontario, CA

I have been working at Aecon full-time for more than a year

Pros

Honestly, there are very few positives to being here. Of those, we have solid benefits and, personally, my co-workers are a lot of fun and help me make it through the week. Sadly, that's about it. Aecon is doing very little to retain me as an employee.

Cons

Get ready for a good read! There's a clear difference between what Aecon says it is and what actually happens here. Aecon is continually on the "Best Employers in Canada" list, but our scores - which are shown to employees in HR-led meetings/witch hunts - are laughably low. Despite the Best Employers survey being anonymous, management tries to figure out who gave low scorings or made negative comments that are... meant as discussion pieces toward positive change. Anything brought up in these meetings is made an action item and quickly forgotten about. Nothing ever changes and the same mistakes are made year after year. Management continues to take on more work when there's no capacity for it. There are weeks where you can't even get out of your chair for lunch in order to make a deadline. In meetings, management stands behind the fact that there's no budget to hire more bodies to take on the ever-increasing work loads. They blame the company's target EBITDA. Meanwhile, the existing team members are miserable and disengaged. If someone quits (happens a lot), their work load is cut up and distributed to the team. We are severely understaffed and demoralized, which leads to a semi-toxic environment filled with passive aggressive behaviour. Aecon's career advancement system is severely flawed. Without exaggerating, everyone here is a vice president of something, even if they have no one working under them. Everyone is entitled to advance their career every few years with little to no raise, so employees move up until they hit a fictitious ceiling. There's a lot of lateral movement where employees change job titles but do the exact same job. Right now, I do the work of three employees on the same pay grade that I started at two years ago. A large portion of my work load right now isn't even in my job description. Talk about the company getting bang for their buck. I'm over-extended and completely disengaged. Management will make decisions without your expertise on projects you're expected to deliver. You're hired for your skill set and knowledge but they won't tap into it to build an efficient foundation for success. Instead, they will drive the project without knowing what it takes to reach the end product. It's like forcing a ship captain to fly an airplane. All that matters is getting it done as fast as possible. This leads to a lot of wasted time, mistakes being made and immense frustration. Voicing your opinion about concerns leads to hostility and defensive behaviour from management. There's an unnatural obsession with over-delivering when everyone should be managing expectations and grounding promises in realism. Aecon is very reactive to situations, at least in my department. You're never given enough logical time to complete a project. You're expected to perform miracles in half the time that's physically needed. If you do turn water into wine, you're given a handshake and told to do it again. Aecon will take everything you give them with very little reward, which I suspect is universal within corporate culture. Meetings are of very little value and last way too long. They're often scheduled to meet the needs of someone in senior management, which means they will almost always be at the end of the day an hour before you normally go home. Expect to stay late listening to the same three people talking for three hours about subjects that are of no concern to your deliverables. Work-life balance is hit and miss. You will receive emails all hours of the day, will be called on your cell while you're driving into work at 6:30 a.m., and will have to come into work on a scheduled vacation day (no joke). I've received emails on holidays and at hours when you should be romancing your spouse. By far, one of the worst aspects of working at Aecon, or in Toronto for that matter, is the commute. I spend 12 hours a week driving. That's a work day and a half with no pay. I also use a tank of gas in five days. I arrive angry, perform my job angry and pull into my driveway angry. This is no way to live your life. I'm sure all of these things are universal issues people have with their jobs, but I'm over being beaten down. I invite you to stand up against the same if you ever find yourself in a similar situation. You will always find another job and life will go on without you. Find happiness for yourself while you're still here.

Advice to Management

They won't read this, so it doesn't even make a difference. They need to read my "Cons" and figure it out for themselves. I make it pretty clear.

Aecon2015-06-17
  2. "Positive experience"

Former Employee - Human Resources Generalist in Toronto, ON

I worked at Aecon full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good culture, great leadership and great total Rewards.

Cons

Lack of work life balance

Aecon2019-07-29
  3. "Project coordinator"

Current Employee - Project Coordinator in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Aecon full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great Compensations & Benefits Goo mentor-ship

Cons

Bad Work/Life Balance Poor training programs

Aecon2019-04-01
  4. "Good overall company but work-life balance was unfair for many."

Former Employee - Project Coordinator

I worked at Aecon full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Team environment, quality training, good corporate events

Cons

Depending on position, the work-life balance can be lost. Aecon takes projects all over the world, therefore remote work can be expected for many roles.

Advice to Management

Management should clearly explain the expectations regarding travel and work hours.

Aecon2018-04-26
  5. "Great Company"

Current Employee - Project Controls Coordinator in Calgary, AB

I have been working at Aecon full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good work life balance, managers supported individual development and completion of courses and certificates. Great Company

Cons

Due to the nature of Aecon acquiring many of its companies they don't share well between the business units, resources or knowledge

Aecon2018-04-02

"Great company with poor middle/upper management"

Former Employee - Projects in Sherwood Park, AB

I worked at Aecon full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Great group of people. Benefits/pay were better then average

Cons

Very unprofessional management. Work/life balance was poor. Very limited opportunities for advancement.

Advice to Management

Stop hiring and retaining golf/party buddies and family.

Aecon2018-04-05
  7. "Aecon Oil And Gas"

Former Contractor - Machine Operator in Chetwynd, BC

I worked at Aecon for more than a year

Pros

Good benefits, good pay, quality work

Cons

Long hours, no work life balance

Aecon2017-11-07
  8. "Assistant superintendent"

Current Employee - Assistant Superintendent in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Aecon full-time

Pros

great people to work with

Cons

long working hours not so good work life balance

Aecon2017-10-05
  9. "Site Administrator"

I have been working at Aecon full-time for less than a year

Pros

varying scope of projects, perks from swag to allowances to gift cards to benefits, teams that feel like family

Cons

poor work / life balance, salary, ability to move up in the company, untrained management

Advice to Management

Start promoting within! And not just people's family members or friends. Don't just discuss the employees who sweat for you - help move them up the latter before they leave.

Aecon2017-09-12
  10. "Good Company"

I worked at Aecon

Pros

Excellent company to work for

Cons

Work life balance is important

Aecon2017-04-19