Aegion Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.3
Charles R. Gordon

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Great Benefits / Not So Great Career Opportunities"

I have been working at Aegion full-time

Pros

Aegion does great with work/life balance and it really feels like leadership is trying to "get it right".

Cons

Poor job recognizing contributions and advancing employees. If feels like executives and middle management are constantly moving up or receiving increases, while lower level individual contributors are skipped over.

Advice to Management

Spend greater time recognizing talent with advancement and opportunities.

2. "Okay Company"

I worked at Aegion full-time

Pros

Benefits are decent. People are friendly and professional.

Cons

They hire too many mid-managers and executives, while simultaneously understaffing various departments. The people who do all the work are buried under an unreasonable task load, and are frustrated and often burned-out.

Advice to Management

Business processes and departments need to be evaluated on some type of schedule. If a department is understaffed or needs other resources, that needs to be addressed. All companies should be reminded about the importance of staff retention.

3. "Supervisor"

Current Employee - LA in New Iberia, LA
    Current Employee - LA in New Iberia, LA

I have been working at Aegion full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Work is steady but work hours are unpredictable.

Cons

Does not bring employees up from within company. Almost always hires from outside.

Advice to Management

Train your capable empolyees to move up within the company.

4. "Not Honest"

I worked at Aegion full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great Health Benefits, Travel, hands on work with projects

Cons

They abuse employees and do not value them or treat them well which gives their customers the raw end of the deal by shotty work. Aegion Coatings is the worst. Horrible management that shows nepotism is its purest form. They look for ex-military to abuse the system for tax benefits. I would stay away unless you just want to start in the coating business. They say they will pay for NACE classes, but they do not due to budgets.

Advice to Management

Learn that your employees are your best asset. Get rid of most of your long term mid level managers, they are killing your business.

"Coming Back!"

I worked at Aegion full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I was a former Aegion employee that pursued a different opportunity in 2016. This opportunity did not pan out as expected but the first place I looked was back with Aegion. Fortunately, there was an opportunity open to come back to a top notch company that positions employees to succeed.

Cons

A thorough review of industry standards relating benefits would be nice. I would think a company of Aegion's size would be able to offer gym subsidies or other unique perks.

6. "Sr. Financial Analyst at Aegion Corporation"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chesterfield, MO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chesterfield, MO

I have been working at Aegion full-time

Pros

People and great work life balance. Benefits are good but medical plans are starting to become a pain.

Cons

Some resistant to change at Sr. Management. Results driven. Difficult to move up the career ladder.

Advice to Management

Open door policy

"Great Foundation, Poor Execution"

Former Employee - Senior Project Engineer in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Project Engineer in San Diego, CA

I worked at Aegion full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I had a good salary and relative freedom in our office - though the salary is more attributed to pre-aquisition levels. Monthly lunches from management. Fun team of people to work with. Work/life balance was great, the benefits were good, even the top management was great.

Cons

Minimal chance at pay raise or actually getting your commissions. I tried shifting money from my salary to an underpaid employee I managed twice and it didn't happen. I also had to ask multiple times for my bonus to be paid out in 2016 and for my commissions in 2017 - once commissions check arrived, MANY notable projects were "not commissionable." Make sure to be clear on that term going into a sales position - your biggest project may not count. Continuous management change in our platform and continuous drama/talking behind peoples backs. Not much learning - just put your head down and do your job or hit the road and see as many people as possible. After my manager requested as much time as possible prior to giving notice, I was fired the day after I put in notice. Make sure to never give notice if you work here and are thinking of leaving.

Advice to Management

The groundwork is there to have a great company, but there was too much flopping once projects were won and way too much change of BD's and management in general. It's hard to gain consistency that way. On that note - be consistent. Figure out who you want to sell material/goods to. That internal struggle presented many challenges, confusion and frustration. Treat employees with some dignity and as if they are people. Cost of living increases - at the bare minimum for those who are underpaid would go a long way. Don't request advance notice to transition projects if you plan to terminate employees the day after notice.

8. "Estimator"

Former Employee - Estimator in De Witt, NY
    Former Employee - Estimator in De Witt, NY

I worked at Aegion full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great work and life balance

Cons

Minimal Advancement opportunities outside of moving to St. Louis./

9. "Positive leadership and corporate values"

I have been working at Aegion full-time

Pros

Leadership, team, great technology that serves the public good across the world, always striving to be better

Cons

Right hand and left hand not in sync sometimes. Integration of procedures and processes across all divisions.

Advice to Management

Need internship program for future growth. Better on boarding.

10. "Meaningful Work"

I have been working at Aegion full-time

Pros

A Senior Leadership Team & Board Members who are passionate about the success of the organization, but sincerely care about their employees. One of the most positive environments that I have had the opportunity to work in. Easy to add value, navigate through to achieve outcomes. Understands that the most valuable assets are their people and have made a commitment and strides to demonstrate that. Sr. Leaders get that their crews out in the field are on the front line servicing their customers and are passionate about their safety, development and emotional healthiness. Be on the watch for this company it is a great place to work, a diamond in the rough!

Cons

Global company with a foot print in 100 countries, but not yet fully integrated. Good news is that they know that and are working to make the integration process stronger, just like the infrastructure that they support, design and or build.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing, hiring and bringing in leaders who have a passion for people. Who are approachable, knowledgeable and highly competent.