Aegis Living Reviews | Glassdoor

4.2
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Aegis Living CEO Dwayne Clark
Dwayne Clark

Pros
  • Each day that I come to work I am always greeted by so many smiles (in 25 reviews)

• Our leadership is committed to the importance of valuing co-workers , residents and families alike (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • Too low of pay for care managers (in 20 reviews)

• No cons but it is very sad when residents pass away (in 14 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"A Second Home"

Pros

I have worked at Aegis for over 3 years and I have been fortunate to find a place where I can be myself and do what I love most in the world, brighten and enrich the lives of our residents . Each day that I come to work I am always greeted by so many smiles. I do not have any family near by, so the residents and Aegis are a second home to me. I spend almost every holiday at Aegis, and there is no where else I would rather be than surrounded by my Best Friends.

Cons

Working at Aegis gives you the opportunity to love and care for so many residents. However, when a resident passes, it feels like you have lost a family member or your closet friend. But I remind myself that I was able to offer love and friendship to these residents through the last years of their life and that gives me peace.

Aug 27, 2016 – CEO

Thank you so much for your hardwork and dedication! We are honored you are part of Aegis Family! Dwayne Clark...Founder/ Chairman/ CEO

2. "Life Enrichment"

Current Employee - Life Enrichment Assistant in Dana Point, CA
    Current Employee - Life Enrichment Assistant in Dana Point, CA

I have been working at Aegis Living full-time

Pros

The staff and Management is amazing! My Direct supervisor is Kim and working with her has been great! She has a lot of passion and love for our residents. I have done Medication management and Care and love everything I have done. I am leaving in August, but would like to say thank you to Aegis for giving me such a wonderful experience.

Cons

Losing a resident and too many call outs from staff

Jun 23, 2017 – Aegis Living

We appreciate you and all you do for your residents and families. It's employees like you who are at the heart of Aegis Living. We are sorry to hear that you'll be leaving and wish you all the best ... More

3. "NorCal General Managers' Retreat"

Current Employee - General Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Aegis Living full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

We have just concluded the Northern California GM Retreat. What a wonderful group of people. Thank you John Carpentier for facilitating this. Aegis never fails to amaze. I am proud to work for this company.

Cons

Residents become family and it is had when they transition.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work

Jun 22, 2017 – Aegis Living

Your Aegis Living senior team is here to support you and your community so that you can provide the best care for your residents and families. It is great to hear that your time together as a region ... More

4. ""Employee First" to the Last"

Current Employee - General Manager in Oceanside, CA
    Current Employee - General Manager in Oceanside, CA

I have been working at Aegis Living full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Just completed a regional GM retreat with fellow GMs. Intense and focused sharing of ideas, dreams, and fears as well as shared best demonstrated practices. Wow...only an "Employee First" company would work tirelessly to create an environment where you feel you are an acknowledged component of the company's overall success and you have become a better person because of such. Founder remains actively involved 20 years after company's original conception and has assembled a Team of professionals that are passionate about giving of themselves and perpetuating Servant Leadership on every level. Opened my eyes to the concept that focusing on your fellow man will actually lead you to the often elusive business success you thought had to come first.

Cons

You actually work within an industry where extreme highs and gratification from helping is often tempered by loss of that very Resident you helped.

Advice to Management

Keep pushing the envelope in ways to promote and inspire personal growth for staff on all levels.

Jun 1, 2017 – Aegis Living

Thank you for sharing your positive experience at the recent retreat. As a company one of our affirmations is that we strive to influence our communities success. Your Aegis Living servant leaders ... More

"Dedicated and Supportive Leadership"

Current Employee - General Manager in Dana Point, CA
    Current Employee - General Manager in Dana Point, CA

I have been working at Aegis Living full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I recently completed the one year mark as a General Manager for Aegis, and I couldn’t be happier. This is a company that “walks the walk” of having a strong, distinctive company culture and I am appreciative every day of having the privilege of working with such a supportive team.

Aegis is filled with big-hearted and genuine servant leaders at all levels of the company. The Home Office takes great pride in supporting the GM’s to be successful in their communities. I consistently feel supported by my leader; he genuinely wants me to be successful and always makes time for me and my team members. I have never worked for any organization that is so committed to realizing the success of its employees, and I can’t imagine anyone does that in a better way than Aegis.

Working with seniors and making a difference in their lives pays dividends in and of itself, however this company is truly special in how the executive leadership supports everyone.

Cons

With such a positive attitude evident from all levels of leadership, this company is full of “pros” all the way.

Advice to Management

The dedication to “doing the right thing” makes this company truly unique. I am excited to be a part of this culture.

May 24, 2017 – Aegis Living

Congratulations on your one year anniversary. We are very happy to have you as a leader at your Aegis Living community. Your senior team and home office staff are here to provide you the support ... More

6. "What a Retreat"

Current Employee - General Manager in Ventura, CA
    Current Employee - General Manager in Ventura, CA

I have been working at Aegis Living full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Just got back from the best company retreat I have ever been on. Spent three days in SoCal with my peers and our VP. We were able to check out for a few days and just focus on team building and making sure we were all on the same page.
    The retreat felt was so refreshing. We are all able to be open and honest and it was also time to refresh our batteries.

Cons

Time flies and I would have loved another day together.

Advice to Management

Please make this retreat a company standard going forward.

May 26, 2017 – Aegis Living

We are happy to hear that this time together as a team was a productive and positive experience. As a company one of our affirmations is that we strive to influence our communities success. Aegis ... More

7. "Corp executive"

Current Employee - Executive in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Executive in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Aegis Living full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Aegis has an incredible soul, they have a social justice passion, they care deeply for their residents and their staff, the amount of programs they are Constantly thinking up to reward staff is amazing.

Cons

We are living in a booming economy, everyone has needs for staff, line staff want to get paid more because they are constantly getting recruited. Once you work for Aegis other companies want to hire you because the reputation and training is so good so people leverage that and leave.

Advice to Management

Keep lines of communication open between field and staff, keep encouraging staff to share ideas, I feel we do this well now but don't want to lose it as we grow.

8. "Work Hard with Great Rewards"

Current Employee - General Manager in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Meaningful work supporting the elderly, families, and staff. Great culture. VPO is incredibly kind and supportive. Manages with a combination of deep on the ground experience, intellect, and humor - all of this the best interest of the staff and residents.

Cons

Demanding position and regularly are faced with challenging interpersonal situations.

Advice to Management

keep up the good support

May 24, 2017 – Aegis Living

Thank you for sharing your experience working at Aegis Living. We're always thrilled to hear that our employees are happy and fulfilled and that our leadership team is supportive, receptive and fun ... More

9. "Marketing Director"

Former Employee - Marketing Director in Fremont, CA
    Former Employee - Marketing Director in Fremont, CA

I worked at Aegis Living full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Tons of support from the very top and all the way down with this company.

Cons

Heavy work load for a single Marketing Director.

May 24, 2017 – Aegis Living

Your home office and leadership teams are here to provide the support, encouragement and tools you need to be successful in caring for your residents and families. Thank you for all you do for them.

10. "A huge disappointment."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Granada Hills, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Granada Hills, CA

I worked at Aegis Living full-time

Pros

The food is tasty at times.
    Decent hours per week.
    The residents are very kind.

Cons

Caregivers/dining room staff are very rude to kitchen staff. They seem to have zero concept of how dining room service runs- you don't ALL shout ALL of your orders simultaneously and expect a smoothly-running shift.

A very specific shout-out to Emma, one of the cooks working there- one of the most inconsiderate, mean and obnoxious employees I've ever worked with. She orders you around like a mule and talks so fast that you can't understand the gibberish that is coming out. When you actually try to converse with her, she talks over you and then loudly speaks "THANK YOU VERY MUCH" and walks away from the conversation. Doesn't let you get one word in- it drives you absolutely crazy. An absolute nightmare to work with.

Every position including caregivers is underpaid. Working at an assisted living home requires patience, strength and an overwhelming amount of diligence. The employees deserve to be compensated more.

The residents are nicer than the staff.

Last but far from least-
    Aegis Living does this little thing where they set you up in their "training system" and make you take about two full work-days worth of "training" and quizzes. What starts off as a seemingly ambitious training course ends in a redundant waste of time. There is a segment on there that teaches you the importance of WASHING YOUR HANDS- and it takes about 30 minutes. And it doesn't let you skip the robot voice- even if you've read the whole paragraph/section in under 10 seconds. An incredibly obnoxious way to begin employment.

Advice to Management

Tell Emma that her life-long method acting role of playing The Grinch is over. She needs to be nicer, more considerate and LISTEN- maybe then she will get better results.

The kitchen staff needs more employees. Stop putting all of the workload onto several different positions.

Tell your caregivers that they don't run the program and that they need to respect the kitchen staff.

Construct and implement a dining room service template for the servers- it will help them be more efficient and not stress out the line cooks.

May 31, 2017 – Aegis Living

We are sorry for your experience with the interactions of some of your colleagues. What you have experienced is the opposite of what we work hard to ensure – a place where people want to come to ... More