Aegis Living Reviews

Healthcare

12h

an

Occupational Therapist

I’m a fairly new grad. Got licensed in January and started working in February. I moved across the state for this job taking my family with me. Now 4 months in it’s such a toxic environment. Unethical, unhealthy. I’m looking to apply to other places. Do I put this company on my resume to show I’ve been working since I graduated or is it worse to show I want to leave after only 4 months? Also, absolutely cannot have them contact my current job or use them as a reference. Put them or no?

7 Comments

Healthcare

29.8K Members

Ask candid career questions

-1 - https://www.fishbowlapp.com/bowl/medicine-2/posts?cf=gd&utm_medium=Glassdoor&utm_source=glassdoor.com&utm_campaign=Reviews&utm_content=Industry-content-prominent-Reviews&utm_term=Aegis Living~199051
Join the conversation on

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
  • "Great and friendly staff.(in 47 reviews)
  • "Great culture(in 36 reviews)
  • "The management is amazing and family too me.(in 31 reviews)
  • "Great company to work for food is great employees are friendly and easy to work with residents are great.(in 26 reviews)
  • "Great benefits!(in 25 reviews)
Cons
  • "pay is low and always short of staffs(in 34 reviews)
  • ") This is another example of great communication with my supervisor(in 5 reviews)
  • "I think it’s issues of company being cheap on top of low compensation and now finding out of not at all “great benefits.”(in 5 reviews)
  • "door asking our residents and their families (who are paying upwards of 8,000/month) to donate to our holiday bonus fund.(in 4 reviews)
  • "There’s favoritism, bullying and always looking to point the finger at lower level staff.(in 4 reviews)
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Aegis Living and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?
  1. 5.0

Kindest, Most Caring Team

May 16, 2022 - Corporate Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

I have never worked with a kinder, more caring group of people. People are here because they want to make a difference in the lives of seniors and feel true purpose in their work. I work in our lovely Home Office in Bellevue, but get out into our communities as often as I possibly can, because they are truly magical places! The joy and love are palpable, with such kind care & nursing staff and creative Life Enrichment team members who really get to know our residents and what they love to do. Everyone from concierge to housekeeping staff is so friendly-- it takes a special person to be called to this work. We have the most incredible residents who have lived fascinating lives-- veterans from every decade since World War II to women who stayed home to raise families to doctors to scientists to professional actors.... It is an honor to get to know them and their families.

Cons

A day working here is emotional and not always the easiest but so bucket-filling and truly means something.

2. 1.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Let’s try this again… run away while you can!

May 11, 2022 - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Ok, there was rumors for a long time about upper level staff paying to get negative Glassdoor reviews removed. Guess it’s still happening since I’ve had two that have been removed. There are no pros here, except for the residents. They are the only redeeming part of selling your soul to work here.

Cons

This will never have enough space… Full time is 36hrs. Pay is absolute minimum wage for the area, and even for the industry. They tell you there’s plenty of overtime available, but you still have to work over 4 hrs beyond your normal shift to even get overtime. There’s not plenty, this is a lie. When requesting more hours you receive a line about how they can’t afford it currently. Even to the point of asking employees to come in hours early, but not clock in until their shift. That’s straight illegal, and management disagreed. Bonuses. “Bonuses” did occur. Largely these were drawings for gift cards and items like TV’s. While cool, this is clear exploitation of using tax shelters to not have to pay further taxes on bonuses and such. Purchasing things like gift cards and commodities allows a write off, rather than a tax. This is using your employees to get tax breaks. That’s warped. And the annual Christmas “bonus.” This is based on resident and family contributions to a “fund” that was then “divided among employees.” I worked here for three of these bonuses, and I’m not sure if upper level staff funneled these funds into their own pockets, residents didn’t donate, or this “fund” didn’t even exist. Multiple residents would talk about how management was trying to talk them into donating. And even more talked about how they did donate, and yet, after three Christmases not a single bonus was seen. They say there’s plenty of room for advancement and raises. In two and a half years, one raise was assessed, and this was after min wage for the area went up. The raise was to meet new min wage standards. Another lie. They say there’s room for advancement. Another lie. Dwayne would rather employ businessmen (men being the operative term. Sure you have plenty of women on staff, but management is largely men and women who cater to their every whim) who have no understanding of healthcare and only know how to get more money by deceiving employees and resident families. Another lie. It’s impossible to move around outside of your job. Let’s talk about that previous lie a little more. Management and resident sales would routinely lie to prospective residents about services offered on site. At this site there were many rooms which were advertised (yoga rooms, salons, sports dens, pools, etc) that never even got the lights turned on. Maintenance staff was sent to dust it on occasion and tidy it up so they looked used and presentable. Staff lied about the activities taking place. Staff lied about what residents would have access to. Employee meals: when I got hired and was told the meals were free. Though a negligible cost ($1 at the time), this was still something that was lied about. Employee concerns and issues: leaving reviews is the only way to get Dwayne, or anybody’s attention. HR repeatedly lied about “handling” issues when it would literally disappear after the phone was hung up. When approaching management about concerns things like “if you don’t like working here, you can go work at ______ (the local burger chain in Seattle), remember we’re a family, and you’re going to be abandoning us though” Resident neglect: during my time there multiple floods took place. One occurred in memory care with a ceiling leak where a resident was left in a flooding room for over six hours because nobody was doing the required checks. And it’s memory care, residents can’t be expected to understand the reality water is flooding from the ceiling. As well, one resident was in the process of dying, and was supposed to be receiving half hour checks. Their apartment was flooding the entire time too. It was only after an employee filed a complaint with the state that anyone took any sort of notice, and then it was a frantic rush to cover things up. Employee meetings occurred to attempt to find the reporter, and also cover things up when the state inspector came. Often resident families were lied to about issues that had arisen just to placate them. The family focus. Supposedly the company is one big family. At least that’s the promoted mentality. Thing is, this gets used to keep you working in unfavorable conditions with little pay and horrible treatment by management. There’s so much more but I assume this review will get deleted too by the higher ups so I’m not going to waste my time… especially since I know I’ll get a scripted response from someone on the matter (would help if you didn’t use the same responses to every negative review)

6 people found this review helpful

Aegis Living Response

Aegis Living

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. We value your feedback and would welcome the opportunity to connect directly as we remain committed to building upon the company culture through staff input to make each day better than the last.  Providing the highest level of resident care has always been the central tenet of Aegis Living’s mission and culture, and our intention is to always be transparent, open, and honest with our employees. We follow state employment law for overtime pay, are proud of our compensation packages, quarterly bonuses and other financial gifts to keep employees incentivized and motivated. Again, we are truly sorry to hear about your experience and welcome a conversation to discuss your concerns. Please feel free to reach out to me or a member of our HR team. Sincerely, Howard Jacobs Chief Operating Officer 503-803-0999

3. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Jobs nice needs more direction in terms of the food aspect

Mar 27, 2022 - Cook in Shoreline, WA
    Business Outlook

Pros

It has a welcoming atmosphere

Cons

Pay could be alot better for the amount of work

4. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 5 years

The company offers good benefits. Directors will work with your schedules if your in school or a parent that has kids.

Mar 17, 2022 - Associate Care Director in Ventura, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Competitive benefits. Employees are awesome.

Cons

When the resident passed it’s sad.

5. 1.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Surprise! Another company who will neglect the needs of the people they are supposed to serve.

Apr 20, 2022 - Concierge
    Business Outlook

Pros

To be first in line when covid vaccines were released… not much else.

Cons

Beautiful exterior, but never judge a book by its cover. The two main things to focus on are classic overworking and underpaying CNA’s along with negligent care for the residents. In short; don’t recommend working there, or checking a loved one in an Aegis living facility, unless you mean ill will. In which case, congrats, you’re awful.

1 person found this review helpful
  6. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 10 years

The Best Assisted Living Community for staff & residents

Mar 14, 2022 - Marketing Director in Carmichael, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Rated number one community of all of Aegis by the staff. Tied for number one community for resident & employee satisfaction. General Manager is the rising star of all Aegis GM’s.

Cons

Can’t think of any negatives.

7. 3.0
    Former Employee, less than 1 year

It's okay, but look for better opportunities

Mar 20, 2022 - Certified Nurse Assistant in Kirkland, WA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Clean Nice coworkers Nice residents Somewhat organized Nice building

Cons

Lack of advancement opportunities Low pay Corporate culture.

2 people found this review helpful
  8. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

This is an amazing company

Feb 18, 2022 - Care Manager
    Business Outlook

Pros

Career advancement. The team is so kind. I really have fun even though the work is hard.

Cons

Sometimes the families can be tough but most are very thoughtful.

9. 3.0

Ok place to learn

Feb 21, 2022 - Caregiver, CNA in Seattle, WA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Hands on experience with great residents

Cons

Big company culture is prevalent.

1 person found this review helpful
  10. 2.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Overworked and understaffed

Feb 16, 2022 - Caregiver, CNA
    Business Outlook

Pros

People were helpful and were nice.

Cons

There were many times that there were too many resident per staff ratio. The General Manager was really outta touch of the care side of the nursing home. There were many instances where they admit residents that were not fit for Assisted Living, while ignoring the capacity that assisted living can provide. Most often times the workload was overwhelming that it was a hard time to find to take a break. There was not much room for growth and there was little pay for the overwhelming amount of work to do. Care directors constantly reach out to you to take on extra shifts for understaffing . There were little promises in raises and if there were raises they increased by a couple cents every other year. The company prioritized residents wants rather than their needs and the staff needs were often ignored.

4 people found this review helpful

Aegis Living Response

Aegis Living

I am very sorry to hear of your experience working at Aegis Living and wish it could have been a more positive one. As many organizations across the country we have been focused on recruiting of more employees and am happy to say we have made great progress. Our priority is to staff each community based on the current care needs of the residents there. I would like to learn more about your experience so that we can continue providing the best place to work for our employees and the best care and services for our customers. Please reach out so we can speak about your time at Aegis in more detail. Thank you Howard Jacobs Chief Operating Officer 503-803-0999

Viewing 1 - 10 of 794 Reviews

Aegis Living Reviews FAQs

Aegis Living has an overall rating of 4.1 out of 5, based on over 812 reviews left anonymously by employees. 81% of employees would recommend working at Aegis Living to a friend and 71% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has improved by 10% over the last 12 months.

According to anonymously submitted Glassdoor reviews, Aegis Living employees rate their compensation and benefits as 3.6 out of 5. Find out more about salaries and benefits at Aegis Living. This rating has improved by 17% over the last 12 months.

81% of Aegis Living employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated Aegis Living 3.8 out of 5 for work life balance, 4.1 for culture and values and 4.2 for career opportunities.

According to reviews on Glassdoor, employees commonly mention the pros of working at Aegis Living to be senior leadership, benefits, career development and the cons to be workplace, compensation.

Popular Careers with Aegis Living Job Seekers