Aegis Living Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated March 24, 2017

Aegis Living CEO Dwayne Clark
Dwayne Clark

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Each day that I come to work I am always greeted by so many smiles (in 25 reviews)

• Our leadership is committed to the importance of valuing co-workers , residents and families alike (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • Too low of pay for care managers (in 20 reviews)

• No cons but it is very sad when residents pass away (in 14 reviews)

"Caregiver"

Current Employee - Care Manager in Laguna Niguel, CA
    Current Employee - Care Manager in Laguna Niguel, CA

I have been working at Aegis Living full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It's the care managers that makes a difference. They do much but paid a little.

Cons

You don't get any support from the wellness nurse.likes to yell at the staff.

Advice to Management

Conduct a one on one interview with the care managers to find out about the treatment they get from the wellness nurse.

Oct 26, 2016 – Aegis Living

Thank you for taking the time to share this information. Your feedback will continue to ensure that the above the line culture Aegis has created, and expects, continues throughout all communities... More

"Rewarding experience"

Former Employee - CNA in Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - CNA in Bellevue, WA

I worked at Aegis Living (More than a year)

Pros

Great diverse & fun staff to work with, everyone is friendly

Cons

Not enough care managers per floor on day/night shifts

May 16, 2016 – Aegis Living

The care of our residents is our number one priority. We staff to the care needs of our residents. If employees have concerns about staffing, we encourage them to discuss it with their General... More

3. "care manager"

Current Employee - Care Manager in Corte Madera, CA
    Current Employee - Care Manager in Corte Madera, CA

Pros

Number 1 focus is care for the residents
    What aegis says is what they actually do

Cons

company doesn't pay staff enough to stay. Many times staff try to leave, then they pay more to stay. company should value hard working staff better.
    GM needs to help more in community to ensure better services to residents.
    GM needs to be more involved in recruiting process because the building is always short staffed

Advice to Management

recognize and reward staff more frequently. pay line staff better so they stay longer.

May 10, 2016 – Aegis Living

As mentioned the care needs of our residents at Aegis are our top priority. Aegis' process is to staff according to resident needs. If employees have any questions or concerns about staffing, we... More

4. "It's just okay"

Former Employee - Administrator in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Administrator in Seattle, WA

I worked at Aegis Living full-time

Pros

Most of my colleagues were some of the best people I have worked with throughout my career and the residents are wonderful!

Cons

Aegis grossly overestimates their benevolence towards employees. They pride themselves on making employee's lives better by being a wonderful company and paying great - not so much; day-to-day the place is still run like any other business, which is fine, but it's nothing special, and everyone below Executives, General Managers, etc. are not paid what they should be; the are barely paid at market rate and the medical benefit is prohibitively expensive. It's also extremely difficult to get a raise - make sure you go in at the rate you want rather than expecting them to make good on promises for performance or promotional raises or you'll never get it. Also, do not expect to be able to change anything; such as work processes. They do not want to hear suggestions on improvement, despite what they say, and they will not change anything as "this is the way we've always done it". Further, employee functions are not open to all employees. For examples - the annual business meeting that is supposed to "break all the rules" and show how forward thinking and caring Aegis is about their employees excludes more than half their employees. Seems more like a party for the CEO and his execs rather than something to do for the employees.

Advice to Management

Extend your "Employee Life Improvement Program" to administrators - not just care managers. Be truly open to better ways to improve efficiency. Stop giving employees what you think they want, like a coat or a pretty break room, and give them what they really need: increased pay so they can truly afford the medical premiums AND pay for food and housing.

Feb 13, 2016 – CEO

Hi this is Dwayne clark the CEO, many of the things you have suggested we do, we are only company in this sector that has private foundation for staff in need, our staff can take homes meals that are... More

"Decent company."

Current Employee - Care Manager in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Care Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Aegis Living full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The scheduling is pretty good. They have flexible hours and great food you can eat for just a $1 a day. Staff is all awesome and you get to work with a great team and the residents can be great as well.

Cons

Low pay for all the work we do. And the benefits are not good at all. Health insurance is still really expensive.

Advice to Management

Better healthcare and benefits and pay CNAs more.

"CNA"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I worked at Aegis Living (More than a year)

Pros

very well trained employee and friendly

Cons

the pay rate is not enough for the job we do.

7. "Home Health aide/ caregivers"

Current Employee - Home Health Aide in South Bend, IN
    Current Employee - Home Health Aide in South Bend, IN

I have been working at Aegis Living full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I have a great experiences working with a clients and changing their daily activity .I am looking forward to achieve my goal since i enjoy working at home care agency .

Cons

I am just looking an equal | Employment Opportunities with my experiences and i can't find any downside working with Aegis living.

Advice to Management

A successful company and more reliable who knows how to manage their most Values.

"Needs to be more competitive."

Current Employee - Wellness Nurse in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Wellness Nurse in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Aegis Living full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

1.) Great food for the staff.
    2.) The employees who choose to stay with the company for many years seem to really enjoy the company culture.

Cons

1.) No shift differentials guaranteed. There is no incentive to work evenings or overnight shifts.
    2.) No clearly defined rules for posting schedules ahead of time.
    3.) The turnover in management is high. Although I have only been at the company for several months, most communities that I have heard about have been through two or three General Managers within the past few years.
    4.) Lackluster healthcare benefits lead to many staff members being unable to add spouses/dependents to their plan.
    5.) No subsidized bus passes. (Not competitive enough compared with other companies in the area.)
    6.) Holiday pay for FTEs is 1.5 times base rate rather than twice the base rate that other area companies offer.
    7.) No clearly defined advancement for staff members in various departments.

Advice to Management

You are a company that chooses to locate itself in two of the most expensive areas of the country. Pay your staff accordingly, especially given that healthcare and retirement benefits are lacking. S

Make the non-monetary benefits (tuition reimbursement, Aegis Partner Deals) more accessible to staff.

"Growth Opportunities, but Low Pay"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Edmonds, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Edmonds, WA

I have been working at Aegis Living full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great company with a high standard of excellence. There are so many opportunities for an employee to grow and be built up here, as long as you seek them out. Benefits are okay- they have a great paid time off system. Aegis Living as a corporate whole is working toward being more competitive in this field and they are actively trying to make themselves desirable to work for. This started with pay raises, and will hopefully extend to more relevant benefits. There is hope for this company!

Cons

As a whole, the leadership of this company seems to be great- but if you work at a building that has a general manager who is hard to work with, there is no one to talk to about it. You work for the company, but your day to day life is working at a specific building under a specific GM. Training often feels incomplete, but you are expected to perform at the highest level- even if you aren't aware of what that is. For working in this field, they try to convince you that they pay competitively, but its barely a living wage. Most employees have to work a second job to make ends meet, so the employees aren't as flexible to cover shifts or stay late- and the expectation is that employees are fiercely loyal to this company, but they don't treat the employees like valuable assets. At least at the building I'm at, employees are seen as dispensable and not respected unless they put up with being the bottom of the totem pole for a year. I left work in tears most days for the first seven months that I worked here, but this had more to do with my specific building than with the company as a whole.

Advice to Management

Invest in training employees well and follow up with routine reviews early and often. Check in with the employees under your general managers- employees don't know who to talk to about problems and so they would rather leave than help solve the issue or tell someone higher up about it. Be on the lookout for committed, hard working employees, and help them strive for more within the company by giving them resources to work their way up.

"Very disappointing experience. Residents and family members should be top priority."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Aptos, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Aptos, CA

I worked at Aegis Living part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Pleasant work surroundings, beautiful and clean environment. Residents and family members are great. Staff overall are very nice and polite.

Cons

Communication between management and staff is lacking. Staff including management at times behave as if they are in a regular workplace not a place where people live. Poor scheduling by management and not enough care managers for the residents. Residents needs and family members concern often disregarded by upper management. Upper management many times exhibit unprofessional behavior and make negative comments about a resident or family member to other staff members. Life Neighborhood lacking in activities and only a few care managers seem to understand the importance of engaging the residents. Residents for majority of time watch tv which is turned up too loud while care managers text or eat.

Advice to Management

Take time to orient a new employee with the facility and introduce them to staff on their first day. Be proactive rather then reactive. Communicate with staff and spend more time engaging residents when they are in the lobby or when there is entertainment. Residents needs and concerns should be a higher priority then getting a meal from the kitchen or making sure that their are fresh flowers in the lobby. I really respect Dwayne Clark and his blog really resonated with me as I have always had a genuine care and respect for seniors. I don't think Aegis of Aptos is a good representation of Aegis as a whole.

Jun 7, 2016 – Aegis Living

We appreciate you taking the time to share your comments. We always encourage our employees to speak with their General Manager or VP of Operations if they have questions or comments about staffing... More