KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt
Logo

Is this your company?

Add a Review

Aegis Living Employee Reviews about "care staff"

Updated Jul 14, 2020

Found 25 of over 718 reviews

3.5
Aegis Living CEO Dwayne Clark
Dwayne Clark
Pros
  • "Each day that I come to work I am always greeted by so many smiles(in 28 reviews)

• "Provides a kind, supportive work environment and good care to the older population(in 22 reviews)

• Cons
  • "The number of care managers is in short(in 25 reviews)

• "not enough care staff on the floor for how involved the care is for the residents(in 17 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Gender

This rating reflects the overall rating of Aegis Living and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?

Reviews about "care staff"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 5.0

A Great Community to work at

Oct 3, 2018 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

All the staff are nice and helpful. The GM is a hard worker who cares about the staff and residents. Everyone tries to go above and beyond.

Cons

The care staff doesn't get paid as well as they should.

2. 3.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Hard Job

Jul 14, 2020 - Care Manager in Memphis, TN
      Business Outlook

Pros

rewarding experience in healthcare for those interested in pursuing medicine / nursing

Cons

not enough care staff on the floor for how involved the care is for the residents Life's Neighborhood (the dementia ward) is much harder to work as a shift assignment and there is no pay increase for the hours worked there

3 people found this review helpful

Aegis Living

We appreciate you taking the time to share your experience working at Aegis Living. I would like to learn more about the specific comments you share and speak with you about the career path and pay opportunities that are available at Aegis. We staff each community based on the current care needs of residents as the care of our residents is our highest priority. We also recognize that caring for seniors can be a difficult though rewarding position and have great respect for the work you do. Please contact me directly so we can speak. Thank you, John Carpentier EVP Operations 425-466-3747

3. 2.0
      Former Employee

care Manager

Nov 20, 2018 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Benefits are decent. vacation is very nice. Residents are awesome. Most co workers have a great additude. Depending on GM a location can be great.

Cons

Rampant understaffing. Putting caregivers at risk, and medtechs passing meds to 45 to 60 people on a mor int med pass. Staffing to budget not accujty is well known to any long term amployee. When bad managers there rampant discrimination and ignoring of issues. When corporate was notified by multiple employees suddenly they find a reason to fire them. No matter how long they are there. 2 months 2 weeks 2 years 12 years. Care staff is very underpaid for what they do 15 to 20 people 1 cna in both memory care and assisted living. You can make more at mc d's. They ask you to work as many hours as your able to physically unless no ot is available.

4 people found this review helpful

Aegis Living

Thank you for your comments. A member of our executive team would be happy to talk over your concerns either in person or over the phone – please just call the home office and leave a message for Judy Meleliat (President) or Tom Laborde (COO), and an executive team member will set up a time with you. Whether or not we talk, I would like to share a couple of thoughts in this forum. It is difficult to fully understand the details of your situation and experiences due to your anonymity, so please allow me to respond in general to some principles. Your comment – “Staffing to budget”: actually not true. Our General Managers have wide latitude to manage labor to meet our residents’ needs, and they are very much encouraged to do so. Meeting our residents’ needs is our priority. Budgets at Aegis are considered targets, but it is our established practice, throughout our 20+ year history, to accept and expect a very wide range of actual results versus budget. This is a highly complex business to run and the care department labor is determined by many factors that make a strict “formula” – including any formula that would dictate staffing by some sort of budget - impractical and impossible. A GM looks at many factors in considering staffing, including: number of residents who need care, the needs of the residents, the degree of complexity of care, resident demographics, and the number of tenured care staff who may be more seasoned and skillful than a brand new person who is less familiar with the job or specific residents. Also, the tenure and experience of the supporting managers and directors have impact on the number of care staff, as does the shift (morning versus day versus night), how many residents are on hospice, how many residents are brand new, hospital discharges, the growth and evolving demands of each community, and other numerous factors. In other words, it is a nuanced process, and is simply not dictated by budget. Understanding that the elder care industry is susceptible to high turnover, we work very hard to find and retain the best staff possible. We offer very competitive pay and benefits at all positions in our company and take incredible pride at the longevity of our employee base. I note that we have some of the lowest turnover rates in the industry. I am humbled at the number of employees that we have who have served over 5 years and up to over 20 years. And they are revered and rewarded. The statement – “Firing people, no matter how long they are there”: this isn’t a fair remark and cannot be addressed in this forum. All employee issues are private, and must be handled with respect, professionalism and honesty – from all persons’ perspectives. As detailed above, keeping our experienced, tenured employees is not only in our interest – it’s our focus. When there are issues with employees, whether tenured or not, I have great faith in our policies and practices and welcome staff who have concerns to escalate them to supervisors in the community or the home office. We are a people company, and we want the best for our residents, their families, and our staff at every level in every community. In that respect, I note that executives at our company—including our founder—have had family members live at Aegis Living, understanding they will receive the same high level care as each and every resident. They do so because our communities consistently provide topnotch care. Again, please let us know if you would like to discuss this matter further. Our executives welcome a dialogue with you.

4. 3.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Aegis -Care Manager

Apr 13, 2019 - Care Manager in Seattle, WA
      Business Outlook

Pros

$1 meals, free coffee/tea Friendly care staff, kitchen staff, residents Free street parking Beautiful and clean work environment Great online training education Benefits at low cost 1 week of on-the-job training with experienced care managers Great communication with Wellness Nurses improves job outlook and performance Trades and pickups for shifts can be made easily online, which allows for a positive work/life balance and unexpected life events Building Manager is consistently available throughout the week to check on operations and is very much approachable

Cons

Very low pay is demoralizing and does not align with difficult economic times and does not match the level of work performed by care managers- compensation is a difficult subject to bring to the attention of upper management since it is uniform across -the- board. Time-based resident response system prevents individualized care, and often interrupts important radio transmissions Equipment is limited upon shift change Breaks often go unmet due to care for residents Some upper management communications with care staff are too direct and often ask rhetorical and confusing questions regarding resident care, which appear to try to elicit a wrong response- causes employee distrust with upper management and lowered morale Limited career advancement opportunities at this location and are not often presented to employees

4 people found this review helpful

Aegis Living

Thank you for your service to our residents at Aegis. I am always thankful for feedback from our staff; it makes us a better company. The “pros” you mention are very encouraging to me. The “cons” leave me sad, yet eager to understand your position better. Staff pay and benefits, opportunities for advancement, supplies and technology availability to staff, and servant leadership are continual areas of focus for us. I take our responsibility to attract and retain positive, loving and dedicated staff members very seriously, so your concerns have piqued my interest. Your experience is far from our standard of practice, and I’d like to collaborate with you to help understand the issues, and plan to effectively address them. Would you please consider contacting me? I would appreciate speaking with you to learn more. Tom Laborde Chief Operating Officer 707.975.5065

5. 5.0
      Former Intern, less than 1 year

A challenging and rewarding experience!

Sep 17, 2013 - Finance Intern in Redmond, WA
      Business Outlook

Pros

The company culture is second to none. The senior staff has implemented an employee-first culture which makes all employees feel that their ideas and opinions are values ( which they are at Aegis). I worked in the finance department specifically and was blown away by the professionalism of the entire finance and accounting staff. At the corporate office each employee is working hard to provide the best living experience for all of the Aegis Residents. It would be a privilege to work with those folks again. I was able to spend limited time at a few of the communities around the Seattle area. The staff at each community was very warm and welcoming and it was always wonderful to talk with the residents. The people who work directly with the residents are truly making the laster chapter of their lives a great one.

Cons

The downside of my position was that I was at the corporate office, so I did not get to interact with our residents very frequently. The company offers "field days" were employees from corporate go and work at one of the many communities in the area. This is a great way to gain exposure to the duties the care staff preforms. It is also a great break from the office!

6. 5.0

Employee

Jul 26, 2016 -
      Business Outlook

Pros

You will have a clear path for advancement at Aegis Living should you desire to move on up. I began as Life Enrichment assistant which lead to Life Enrichment Director which lead to my current position as a Marketing Director. Aegis Living is looking for stars in the field of senior living and your hard work and commitment will not go unnoticed. Our community gives perfect attendance bonuses and quarterly bonuses to the care staff should our community meet it's financial goals which was every quarter so far this year. The corporate office also gave away $50,000 in lottery money to it's employees as well as trips to Disneyland, Hawaii and England.

Cons

When working so closely with our residents, families are very involved and at times overly involved which can get in the way of our staff performing their jobs properly. Aegis Living is at the top of the industry in regards to senior living so it is often times more expensive than other companies which makes the admission of new families a bit more sparse.

1 person found this review helpful
    7. 5.0
      Current Employee

A very Positive and motivating company that truly cares for there employees, residents and their families.

Jan 6, 2015 - Health Service Director in Ventura, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

I am very impressed with the leadership of our Ventura Community. Every morning in stand up positive and uplifting messages are projected and every employee is valued. Together we work as a team to make life better for our residents which makes it enjoyable and fun to come to work. I feel it is of great importance to show the employee's that they are appreciated each and every day for the difficult jobs that they handle from care staff, Med Techs, wait staff, housekeeping and maintenance. We are like family, it is home away from home! I am so excited to be a part of this GREAT Community.

Cons

Nursing office is being worked on to create less traffic and provide more privacy. A big thank you to my GM (Bill).

8. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Aegis Care

Apr 30, 2016 - Care Department in Corte Madera, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Working for Aegis Corte Madera will keep you in a "Wow" posture! From communicating with resident to Happy Hour there is never a dull moment! Aegis staff is at the top of the pyramid because Happy staff promote Happy residents! Our Care staff go over and beyond on a daily basis promoting a positive work environment! Anyone that chooses to work at Aegis Corte Madera will be making the best decision and will have no regrets! We have an amazing Nursing Dept for LVNs that want to take their careers to the next level! We are waiting for you to bring your smiling faces and expertise to the table...

Cons

This is not necessarily a Con but We work extremely hard to provide quality and efficient care for all of our residents... My only Con is our community is humongous and it takes a minute to get to my destinations

Aegis Living

We appreciate all that you do for your residents and for taking the time to pass on your experience to others. - Judy Meleliat

9. 5.0

Love My Job

Jan 21, 2015 -
      Business Outlook

Pros

This is a great company with fantastic corporate culture. Lots of job satisfaction and company offers great opportunity for moving up within, even to manager/director positions.

Cons

Obviously within this industry there is a lot of loss and death among resident who you easily become close friends with. Also, as far as I can see, care staff has the hardest job in the building and its also the job that gets the least respect/perks. They deserve so much more than they earn!

10. 4.0
      Current Employee

Working for this company as a wellness nurse for 3 months now.

Jan 28, 2015 - Wellness Nurse in São Paulo, São Paulo, São Paulo
      Business Outlook

Pros

Care staff are caring for coworkers and residents living in the community. Working environment is more relaxed and home setting . It's easier to build close and personal relationships with residents and coworkers. $1 special meal is available. All kinds of training courses keep you on top of your field.

Cons

Your hourly basic salary is going to be lower than working for skilled nursing facilities or hospitals. But in the long run you'll get bonus depends on your performance and working years for the company. Staff shortage while some is off.

Aegis Living

The care needs of our residents at Aegis are our priority. Aegis staffs according to resident needs. If you have any questions or concerns about staffing, we encourage you to contact the GM of our community or Regional Vice President so that they may discuss them with you. - Marc Nowak Sr. VP of Operations

Viewing 1 - 10 of 25 Reviews