Aegon USA Investment Management "senior management" Reviews | Glassdoor

Aegon USA Investment Management Employee Reviews about "senior management"

Updated Sep 20, 2017

3.4
Aegon USA Investment Management CEO David Blankenship (no image)
David Blankenship
Cons

Reviews about "senior management"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "If You Have Few Options"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cedar Rapids, IA

I worked at Aegon USA Investment Management full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Probably fine if you live in CR

Cons

Its probably a great place to work if you live in Cedar Rapids and don’t want to move. I mean — where else are you going to go? They seem to take care of the yokels ahead of anyone from out of town. They probably don’t want to run into someone they fired at the grocery store or the corn shuckin’. That’s the only explanation for some folks maintaining their employment with MD titles. The investment management... is excellent, I have to say. And the portfolio management are good people (for the most part). Business / senior management is absolute chaos. I had FOUR bosses in 12 months and was on my way to a FIFTH in less than 2 years before I left the company. The company went two years without a CEO, and has gone though two heads of distribution in just 18 months. Now they have senior management with from Janus and Calamos, who aren’t vaguely interested in living in CR and are making people move to Chicago. I can’t say I blame them, but I do wish them luck with that.

Advice to Management

Clean house and understand who is still at the company due to competency and who has simply occupied a chair for a long time.

Aegon USA Investment Management2017-09-21

"Very traditional corporation"

Former Employee - Financial Analyst in Cedar Rapids, IA

I worked at Aegon USA Investment Management full-time for more than a year

Pros

The people you work with are great

Cons

Senior Management does not make much of an effort to identify top performers. Promotions are based on years of service and tenure with the company without regard for competency.

Advice to Management

In order to keep up with the growing competition the company will need to put more emphasis on finding and keeping top talent, otherwise, they will continue to attract "lifers" who are just there to collect a pay check.

Aegon USA Investment Management2013-09-12

"New leadership is clueless"

I have been working at Aegon USA Investment Management

Pros

Don't have to work too hard. Benefits aren't bad Fairly Stable environment even in the down economy. Don't do too many layoffs. The products are good and the people who service the customers actually care.

Cons

Senior management is completely clueless in how to implement their strategy. They overall strategy is reasonable by the execution makes no sense whatsoever nor is it aligned with the strategy overall. The senior management is filled with long-term insiders who don't have a good vision, cost accountants, technophobes, and lawyers. Marketing, Technology, or anyone that had read a management book written after... 1985 takes a back seat. Their is so little logic or transparency that there is an oscallation between chaos and stasis. Middle management is fully of sychophants where actual talent is scored because they don't speak the same language as the entreched management. The front line supervisors tend to be good but these people are usually not qualified to move beyon that.

Advice to Management

Bring in some consultants (or someone) that can evaluate the leadership team and find out what skills are missing such as an understanding of branding, customer experience, technology strategy, process management, progressive HR policies, etc. Put people in place that understand these things and empower them to do it.

Aegon USA Investment Management2010-11-06